The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. maloney4playz

maloney4playz tfp enjoyer, waspinator appreciator

calling it now: the ss fallen is coming in either the 5th anniversary of studio series, or hes gonna be the 100th studio series figure

i really want more realistic animal alt modes, give me some dinosaurs, some reptiles, some insects. but dont mix them with the g1 bots, keep them separate as a sub-line

im probably gonna get some shit for this but hell its the rant thread. i do not give a flying fuck about JG1 and i believe that star saber shouldn't be a commander class, instead we should get a character thats worth it, like tigerhawk, a rampage and depthcharge 2 pack, a TM2 megatron, an optimal optimus, hell even rodimus prime is more worth the commander class price than star saber, because they are all actual characters i dont have to track down a hard to find japanese cartoon to find out about, they are all actual characters that the rest of the world cares about. if you want a star saber go for the planet X or the MP figures. dont put him as a $200 commander class haslab figure, make a high moon trypticon, a primus, fuck id even rather have haslab tripredacus or magnaboss then star saber.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2021
  2. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    You're not allowed to not like a figure; as if your opinion might somehow ruin someone else's enjoyment of it.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Pteraxadon

Pteraxadon RirFib supporting pterosaur

How every f**king 3D party upgrade kit includes a sword. even for characters never seen with a sword

• Like Like x 1
  4. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I had to take aim and fire at my foot just now.

There was a small toy show in Hershey back in 2019. I did alright, not great, for it being a new show. Plus it was nice to have a local option where I didn't have to pay for a motel.

So obviously I was looking forward to 2020. Then the problems started. The guy running it is just not all there. He's making it really difficult to pay for my table. He's slow to respond, doesn't seem to understand words, can't figure out how to let me pay the same way I paid in 2019 (PayPal invoice), etc. It eventually sounded like I could mail a check (I know, I know) but I could not for the life of me get an address to mail it to. Little did I know it's because this guy is trying to run a PA show from TX for some reason. Anyway, COVID decided it wasn't going to blow over and I had too much going on to keep playing this game so I just gave up.

2021 rolls around and I decide to give it another go. Big mistake. The guy is just...I've never seen somebody try so damned hard to do everything wrong. He's another show organizer that has a domain and a FaceBook page and rolls a dice to decide which one is going to get any given update. Even though the show is in Townsville, he's got graphics all over, on current pages, for an aborted effort to run the show in Citytown before it moved to Townsville. So it's super confusing trying to find out if the show's running, when/where it is, who to contact, etc.

He's also really good at saying he'll do something and then not doing it. Going to put an update on the site? Doesn't happen! Going to reach out to vendors? Doesn't happen! Going to send me an invoice? Doesn't happen! I usually wait about two weeks after a promised delivery date has come and gone to follow up. Did I also mention that he does this from no less than three separate addresses, including one that doubles as a PayPal address for his 1:6 scale storefront and one that regularly bounces but is all over the webpages? Often times I will send an e-mail to one address, receive a reply from a different one, reply back with a question or answer, and then not hear back until I reply to all of them. For fuck's sake, set up a dedicated e-mail address for your show and conduct everything through it like it's not amateur hour.

You remember how people bitched that Botcon required registration by FAX? Some shows are barely a step removed from that because they can't figure out how to set up a registration form with a Pay Now button. Despite my background, I don't mind a low-tech approach...but it took weeks to get a response on how to pay for my tables. He tells me "send $100 to [email protected]." With how shady and fly-by-night some conventions are (Harrisburg's had at least one run off with people's money in recent memory), I don't like to just send to an anonymous PayPal address without an invoice detailing what I'm buying and who I'm paying. I explained that I specifically needed an invoice and why. This time and last year.

What do I get (eventually)? A money request. Why did I need an invoice? An invoice doesn't require a PayPal account and can be paid by a credit card. I explained this. eBay made changes to get away from PayPal and I quit associating with either. Even if it weren't so, this screenshot of the PayPal dashboard below shows the difference in functional process:

70pixels.png

I've been really patient all along (this has been going on for months, not including last year) and went so far as to send a short set of instructions to this guy. Who runs a storefront and a convention but can't figure out a basic function of PayPal. He ignores them and says he'll send me an invoice directly from some other CC processor for some reason. A month goes by and nothing. I sent updated step-by-step instructions for PayPal to make sure. Another two weeks go by with no response. So I reach out to all of the e-mails asking if he's willing to try to follow the instructions.

So he told me he was going to send an invoice and not only didn't but didn't feel like telling me he wasn't going to either. A post to Facebook, a few days after telling me he'd send an invoice, listing vendors they still needed payment from, didn't include me. Yeah, I have _so_ much confidence that he's not doing this:

I've had many show organizers tell me how disruptive missing a show, or even scaling back slightly after a rocky expansion, can be. This guy had his _second_ show cancelled. By something that put alot of small businesses under and affected incomes due to job loss. You'd think it would be best practice to minimize the loss of momentum as possible. Send updates to your vendors/attendees. Do what you say you'll do. Try to keep communications consistent. Click one fucking button to the left on the PayPal dashboard. Nope!

So I just told him this entire experience was amateur hour, I was tired of having to chase him down, and decided to cancel the event from my schedule.

Nothing makes me appreciate well-run shows like RetroCon as much as having to deal with somebody like this. For fuck's sake, I do a show in another county that was, until his death last year, run by a guy in his 70s that wasn't anywhere near this difficult. How the hell do people so obstinate and unorganized get the money to rent space for these things?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  5. Metro Prime

Metro Prime No sympathy for the self-inflicted

This isn't so much of a rant, but I'll be really pissed if they don't release a Core class Thundercracker or Skywarp by the end of Kingdom.

I'll be really pissed if they do and its a fu¢€!π¶ exclusive!

• Like Like x 2
  6. OCDChad

OCDChad Well-Known Member

For G1, there is a list of main characters I have that should be made available everywhere possible. They are the main 7 that are in most episodes.

Optimus: the leader, this is obvious
    Megatron: the leader, this is obvious
    Soundwave: always right there with Megatron, talks often, most plots don't happen without him
    Ironhide: shows up often, talks the most for the Autobots outside of Optimus
    Ratchet: appears a lot, fixes everybody, not as many lines as Ironhide, Optimus, and Bumblebee though
    Bumblebee: shows up often, talks often, increased popularity due to the movies
    Starscream: always right there with Megatron, talks all the time

• Like Like x 3
  7. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth AEIOU

I really hate scalpers. Because of them, there are several figures I'll never be able to collect because these stupid fucks sell them for way beyond what they're actually worth.

SS DOTM Optimus Prime, SS Ironhide, Siege Skywarp, Earthrise Ratchet, Ironhide, Prowl, just to name a few that I wish to collect, all of them being sold for hundreds of dollars when they're not even worth $70+. Unless I make what Jeff Bezos makes in ten seconds, how the fuck am I supposed to afford that?

Why can't somebody do something about this? Like why can't someone step in and be like "hey, stop selling those double digit priced toys for triple digits when they're not worth that!"

• Like Like x 4
  8. Metro Prime

Metro Prime No sympathy for the self-inflicted

If no one buys for those prices then they will drop. If one or two idiots with enough disposable income make a purchase then it justifies the price increase.
    Scalper is happy and customer is a fool. But a fool who has what he wanted.

The rest of us barely hanging on to this hobby are just screwed. C'est la vie. Hooray for capitalism.

• Like Like x 3
  9. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

Not to justify or make excuses for scalpers, but if people are paying triple digits for a toy, then that is what it is worth. An item is worth what people are willing to pay for it, not how much it could have been acquired for in the past, or how much it cost to make. The original MSRP isn't really what the item is worth, but rather the manufacturer's attempt at setting a price that maximizes the amount of money made from all of the sales of the product. If they wind up making a product that quickly goes to clearance, then it's real worth is ultimately whatever the lower price that people start biting at. If they wind up selling out immediately and then stop making product to capitalize on demand, then the aftermarket price that people are actually paying is closer to what the product was really worth. The manufacturer is messing up by leaving money on the table, which the scalpers and secondary marketplaces are eating up instead.

More importantly, how do you realistically implement something like the idea you suggested? Should eBay maintain a database of items and their MSRPs, then prevent sellers from going above a certain multiple of MSRP? Should they simply prevent toys from being sold over a certain amount of money? Even if you had a perfect implementation of this system, any secondhand marketplace that implemented it would be handicapping themselves against other marketplaces that don't restrict themselves in this way, and for virtually no benefit. Would buyers like it? Probably, but they wouldn't like a marketplace that has no sellers.

Any actions taken against scalpers pretty much have to happen at the retailer and manufacturer levels, i.e., at the source of the product. Not only do they have more tools at their disposal, but they also stand to gain the most by collecting cash from customers by satisfying demand. Secondary marketplaces have no incentive to fight scalpers, and honestly I wouldn't want them to, because it would inevitably use error-prone algorithms. After all, what's the difference to an algorithm between an honest collector who buys sells a sealed collectible that they wound up no longer wanting, and a scalper who bought a sealed collectible for the purpose of selling it?

• Like Like x 4
  10. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth AEIOU

I have no idea how some kind of value management system would work. I wrote my post mostly out of frustration.

It really irks me like crazy seeing a figure like SS DOTM Optimus Prime, being sold as much as $200 - $400+ on sites like Ebay. I'm sorry, I don't see how it's worth that much. I really don't want to pay such an insane amount for it.

Unicron being priced at triple digits kinda makes sense to me, but leader class figures and under? My brain cannot justify the idea of them being sold at triple digits.

And you're right about algorithms, because I've heard too much about YouTube's algorithm.

11. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

As is becoming very common with me regarding your posts, I agree completely. This is exactly my perspective on toy aesthetics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Are they actually being sold for that price, or are people just listing them for that price, hoping to dupe some idiot into buying it?

• Like Like x 1
  13. deaddude

deaddude Well-Known Member

Fair enough, it's understandable to be frustrated, it is a frustrating situation.

Someone else mentioned earlier in the thread that Transformers used to go for slightly under MSRP until recent years. Evidently Transformers as a whole are worth more now, which in a roundabout way is actually a really good thing. Assuming this secondary market demand is indicative of retail demand, then we should hopefully see more and better mainline products. Unfortunately that probably also means more exclusives, which exacerbates the scalper situation.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth AEIOU

Yeah, I'm not kidding about what they're being sold for. Here's two US listings that I've seen on Ebay listing SS DOTM Prime for such insane prices.
    untitled.PNG

I've also seen a couple of international listings selling him in the $100 - $200 range.

15. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    Yeah, but are people actually buying them at that price? Like, did you look at completed auctions?

• Like Like x 1
  16. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Yeah, the manufacturers should continue making toys as long as they're selling. If people still want to buy certain toys from 5 years ago there's no reason to stop making them. Especially now that they don't need to use brick and mortar stores and can sell online. They're just losing out on more money they could be making.

• Like Like x 3
  17. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    That's the truth of it that most people don't realize. Scalpers only exist because people buy their items. If that wasn't the case they wouldn't still be a "threat" to communities and the term would have died out long ago. They sell $300 deluxes because some people have terrible impulse control and will buy $300 deluxes.

• Like Like x 7
  18. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

That can be faked and manipulated though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth AEIOU

On the pretty much $500 one, it looks like it wasn't always so high. It shows six listings that were apparently all sold for $98, all of them from last year.

I wasn't referring to people actually buying them, I was only pointing out how ridiculous it is that such a figure is being sold for such an insane price. You'd really have to have a lot of money to afford that and not take a financial hit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Has to wait 274 days till he can watch RoTB

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I’m not allowed to but any toys currently, and this is what I found at my local target. BB171556-5D09-439B-BD63-9B3133C9F79A.jpeg 69DEB3BB-D998-4C09-9A53-88D2F62D1018.jpeg 7ED07869-B7EE-4958-93C0-4C77FB01C820.jpeg
    All the good stuff when I can’t buy toys. I swear to god it’s some type of curse.

• Like Like x 1