The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Gonna go ahead and ignore all of the debate but I di wanna point out the current rumor mill pegs a SS86 release of Kup

• Like Like x 2
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

And I quote myself here

Tell me, what era of Transformers were 90% of those largely based on?

Already pointed out but I specifically selected Kup because it's more than likely he's one of the Studio Series figures. It amuses me you apparently didn't know that.

That just goes to show which one Hasbro and mass retail seems to think sells better right now.

TRANSFORMERS HUNT FOR THE DECEPTICONS THE FALLEN MINT IN BOX 2010 | eBay

Use Paypal Credit and pay it off in installments. $30 per month over five months doesn't sound so bad.

Not for a lack of availability, which is what I presumed was the entire crux of your argument.

Oh, so now it's okay if G1 esque figures are in movie lines so long as there's an arbitrarily different movie figure in the same package? By that logic, just shove a cyberverse figure of some random movie character into the upcoming G1 style Studio Series figures and you just solved the whole problem.

So now this has gone suddenly from whining about how there are G1 figures in Studio Series to how Hasbro doesn't really touch on any of the other series, which has been a known problem since 2006? I mean, the boat left port on that argument literally over a decade ago. Plus, it's the 35th Anniversary of the film, and there is a film based toyline. On top of that, Beast Wars - a criminally underrepresented aspect of the franchise - is getting the spotlight in WFC Part 3, so they're moving the anniversary stuff into Studio Series so they can do more than just tribute G1 exclusively.

But that comes at the cost of your precious little movie exclusive line so obviously that isn't acceptable, now is it?

You keep jumping back and forth between arguments and it just weakens your position. I wasn't aware the FIVE MOVIES across TEN YEARS stopped existing because G1 is getting put into Studio Series. G1 itself only truly lasted seven years, just because the designs are getting reused doesn't mean it's actually G1 in full. Hasn't for a long time now.

For the record I did not grow up with G1. I grew up with Armada.

And how many of those came before Transformers pushed the boat off? I mean, it is highly conspicuous that you noticably do not mention My Little Pony, since believe it or not Bay being credited as a 'creative consultant' is what led to Hasbro giving ponies to Lauren Faust to see what she could do with it and the end result pretty much defined a small subset of a generation.

You didn't answer my question, which is quite telling.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Mudslide

Mudslide Grieving Son

:rolleyes2 

• Like Like x 2
  4. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I really lament the lack of jet-formers based on single engine jet altmodes.

Yes, I am glad for MP fans they're getting a new Seeker mold, but I think the "twin engine = robot mode legs" concept should give way a bit to
    Transformers with a refreshing transformation scheme - which, the single jet engine concept can provide imo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time we really got this was with ROTF Breakaway / Thrust. * Edit: TF Prime Starscream and Dreadwing - both quite a while ago 2011/2012.

Movie Blitzwing & Shatter do interesting things transformation-wise, but they're technically still dual engine jets.
    Armada Thrust's jet is based on the F35 single engine jet, but for both the toy and the cartoon concept they changed it to a dual engine jet - both thrust nozzles for hands.
    Same goes for the creative liberties the CW Aerialbots take, which also choose "the easy way out" and simply go for the dual engine = robot legs concept.

Hasbro, can you please TRY again...

Because, once you create a good single jet engine Transformer concept you can apply it across the board and pave the way for guys like:

- Needlenose = F16XL
    - Buster & Hydra = F16 for Buster (Takara no-show so far)
    - Dogfight = Grumman X-29
    - Any character based on F35
    - Or maybe take some cues from Gobots Heatseeker (F16) who has a most interesting transformation.

Also, I really feel the G1 Cyberjets are due for a nice Voyager class remake, especially Skyjack because his altmode was already so F117 accurate.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  5. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

Right on.

I really like the Nitro Zeus mold from TLK/Studio Series for that very reason.

6. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Prime Starscream. That mold was pretty interesting to me, though I don’t know if it was based on any real aircraft.

• Like Like x 1
  7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Yeah, I forgt that one - He's basically a stylized F16.

But yeah.... as you can see it's been a while...2011/2012.
    Same goes for TF Prime Dreadwing F35.

8. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

News Credits:
    Me after seeing the G1 VS Movie debate again: tenor-5 (2.gif

• Like Like x 11
  9. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Remember when partsforming was universally seen as lazy, instead of being staunchly defended for no real reason?

• Like Like x 13
  10. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    So, you're asking me why 90% of the figures in the movie lines were based on characters from the movies? Seriously? The CHUGRtSCWTRPotP have all of those figures based on the G1 cartoon, despite it being 20 years prior, and in addition to the original toys. Studio Series is the first movie toy line that's not running concurrently with a movie release (aside from Bumblebee).

It's not within my collection interests, so why would I?

Cool. It also shows what they thought sold better between 2007 and 2017.

That's not under $100. And that's still far more than I'm willing to pay for a figure that was released at $20.

I was being facetious and didn't actually expect you to. Plus, you have the reissues anyway. But no, the crux of my argument was that we've gotten characters that did not have fair representation in the movie lines, or were unavailable in the US. A majority of the Constucticons, for instance, or Leadfoot and DotM Soundwave, who never made it to the US when the tail end of DotM was cancelled. Or figures we've asked for since the beginning, like Leader Blackout and DotM Megatron.

That's putting words in my mouth, but whatever. Fine by me.

No, this isn't suddenly moving from anything. My initial post talked about the over-saturation of G1 in every facet of the franchise and spoiled and entitled fans like you who complain when anything is not G1. I agree that BW is criminally under-represented, and I can't wait to see what they do with it. I'd love to see the Animated folks get some love too.

I honestly don't care. As long as the movie fans get everything they want out of SS, the '86 movie can have a field day. I don't know how or if those figures will be any different from ER figures, but whatevs.

What the hell are you even trying to get at here? Your original argument was that the movies left nothing for the other fans to enjoy (somehow completely ignoring Classics through Generations, which ran at the same time), as a response to me saying to let people enjoy what they like. Seriously, what the hell?

Cool. I grew up with Beast Wars, and had brothers that grew up with G1.

He Man, TMNT, Inspector Gadget, Alvin and the Chipmunks (also released in 2007), Care Bears (twice), Dennis the Menace, Underdog (also released in 2007), Hairspray (also released in 2007), Miami Vice...

Sorry I didn't mention My Little Pony I guess?

Which one? About when the movie was pitched? It was pitched in 2003, which was during Armada's time. If you're asking about how the movie got pitched, it was because Hollywood was looking around for anything to use for inspiration, because they have no original ideas anymore (see above). It was already going on with properties from the 60's and 70's. Why do you think the X-Men, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Fantastic Four movies were a thing in the late 90's and early aughts? This is still going on today. That's why streaming services are filled with reboots of Voltron, Alvin, Scooby Doo, etc...

Bottom line: I don't care. I don't care about your opinions, your endless rants, or even continuing this argument. And guess what? No one else on these boards does either. So, take a chill pill, sit back, play with your toys, and, again, let people like what they like. If you like to ground up G1 figures into fine powder and snort them, that's your prerogative, and I won't rant about it. As long as I get the figures I want, I'm fine.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can we please move on?

• Like Like x 6
  12. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

News Credits:
    Yes please.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Optitron98

Optitron98 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So, moving aside from GEEWUN vs BAYVERSE (please for the love of god, this argument gets really tiresome after every single reveal and leak). I do wanna talk about Partsforming as @AutobotAvalance brought up. (Unless that is also an old tired debate?)

Honestly, what bothers me more than just partsforming is the excuse “the old toys did that.” Right the same toys that were heavily limited due to engineering and looked nothing like the show as it was actively trying to remove any and all vehicle parts to make animating easier?

• Like Like x 1
  14. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

Agreed. The G1 seekers, while iconic, can’t hold up to even the classics mold from 2006. And that mold showed that the characters can be done without parts forming. And in my opinion, it doesn’t make a figure bad. However it is an extremely lazy practice. I enjoy ER Cliffjumper a lot. But to me he was stopped short of greatness because of the parts forming. To me it’s an outdated practice and stifles forms of innovation since you can just move a part somewhere else by just taking it off. It’s just as outdated as Prime’s fists being separate attachments. I’m sure hardly anyone would defend that in a modern line.

• Like Like x 4
  15. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every. Single. Walmart&Target toy department restock meeting-
    "Hey everyone, very important announcement from corporate. We need to wait until Icecreamcyborg is unable to get out& restock every single thing he desires, then alert everyone but him that all the cool things are in stock and only leave what was there from 2 weeks previous. But leave behind clues that awesome stuff was here & sold out. Then when he does show up, let's watch him get agitated by it& laugh at him! We're in this together! Lawl!!!" *high five* then all the employees give a photo of me the finger!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Prime77

Prime77 My sanity has social distanced itself. TFW2005 Supporter

I sympathize.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dachande

News Credits:
    My rant for the day:
    Back in May, I ordered the OK KO Dinobots from SirToys for someone that wanted them customized. I don't buy KO's, so it was kind of out of my comfort zone to do so.
    I had to contact the seller to find out where they were, because they still hadn't arrived at the end of July. Apparently my inquiry got them moving and they arrived yesterday.
    In the meantime, the person wanting the work done bailed.
    I'm okay with people bailing on customs if I didn't start them, but man, I had to order these things out of my own pocket and now I'm stuck with them.
    What really irritates me though, is that they're actually kind of...nice.
    Ugh. Maybe I'll still fix them up then dump them when the real ones are released in Earthrise (starting with Sludge, I believe).

*The work being requested was to kill the combining gimmick and make them more solid.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dachande

News Credits:
    Eh, no. I prefer cake.

• Like Like x 3
  20. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.