The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Not that all the shots you use are low angle shots, and the toy shot is a high angle. Probably the most famous shot of Megatron's face is from the movie, even if it is leaky and beat up:
    upload_2020-6-22_19-56-27.png

We can debate the width of the helmet, but the cheek guards should come in over the face a bit more, the crown of the helmet should be shorter, the eyes closer to the brow, and the brow should just be... not that. The chin should also be narrower. Siege isn't dead on either, but it feels closer and the expression is much better. :2c: 

Are you complaining about Hasbro because a third party knock off broke?

• Like Like x 3
  2. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    s-l1600.jpg

Helo Earthrise :p 

• Like Like x 4
  3. Optitron98

Optitron98 Guy who loves blue and sarcasm

Ebay:
    Both, but mostly towards Hasbro using clear parts for the majority of the car roofs found in the studio series deluxes like Bumblebee, Jazz, Soundwave and doors for SS Ratchet. The clear plastic windows is also a problem on the official MPM Optimus and can also break in a similar manner.

• Like Like x 4
  4. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    Concerning the lack of bios brought up a bit earlier, I think Hasbro's forgotten that's one thing that really helped to sellG1 toys and put them above Go-Bots. They gave the toys personality, and especially helped with toy-only characters like the Jumpstarters.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Astrowing19

Astrowing19 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Whenever I buy a recent toy of a character I don't know too well (ER Grapple, for instance), I immediately go to TFU and look up the G1 bio so I know what the character is like.

6. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

I just picked up ER Hoist today. The factthat he's like 25% clear plastic kind of worries me. I'm worried something's gonna snap or crack on me.

• Like Like x 2
  7. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    I guess I kinda like the freedom of giving non-G1 cartoon characters whatever personalities I want. Character bios have never really been important to me. Just fun little tidbits to read.

• Like Like x 1
  8. VehiconVindication

VehiconVindication Well-Known Member

It's definitely nice to have something to work off of, but honestly, one of my favourite things about non-show and non-movie figures is that you can assign them any personality you want without pesky canon getting in the way XD

9. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

They could do cards with bios and techspecs on the back if they make judicious use of the space.

Just for example, I rigged this up in about an hour or so. It's quite rough, and it does use the verbatim actual G1 bio with the weapon info, but it shows how you could format such a card back to include a full slate of info. With a bit better resolution and space usage (I'm limited by how photoshop handles extra small fonts in terms of legibility on a computer screen. A real card could be printed much smaller and more crisply) you could have separate bio segments for personality and a full listing of weapons and powers.

[​IMG]

If I had more time and need, I could probably make significant improvements to this and polish it to a more finished product, but this accomplishes what I want to illustrate.

I do this sometimes. I ended up spending like a 30% premium over local purchase prices when I placed an order on TFSource (because of exchange rate and whatnot) because I was afraid I wouldn't find GEnerations Select stuff like Siege Smokescreen, Nightbird, and Lancer and some harder-to-find regular stuff like Jetfire and Ravage/Laserbeak. I did this and then over the week or so after my order was fulfilled and shipped I found every single one of those things except the cassetticons in stores here, especially Toys R Us which ended up having several of them on sale where I could've saved even more money.

But on the flip side I missed out on store purchase of the Selects cassette 4-pack (Frenzy, Wingthing, and Doubledealer's powermasters) because of the limited windows they were able to be ordered. I forewent buying them elsewhere because I was sure they would re-stock on the Toys R Us website right up until the point that the item page disappeared into a 404 error. At that point I was lucky that another local collector had placed an order for a pair of them from when they were in stock and was willing to sell me the extra copy he had bought (so that he'd be able to qualify for free shipping) at cost. Because as of now there are strangled rumors of them maybe being in stock IN stores halfway across the country, but no confirmed word on whether that's permanent, going to make it nationwide, or even true beyond just being in-store returns that they put out on the floor rather than send back to the warehouse.

I blame Hasbro's crap distribution setup. I also had to end up buying Rumble/Ratbat from a chinese ebay seller at 2x MSRP because I never saw it in a store. And then a couple weeks after it finally arrived and just as local stores were opening back up after Coronapocalypse shutdown, for the very first time ever I saw a live copy of Rumble/Ratbat on a peg in a Toys R Us. Yep. A siege toy making it to market for the first time that I'd ever seen. In June a year after it was supposed to be released.

Still haven't ever seen or been able to get a Singe or Rung. And unlike Rung it doesn't look like Singe is getting a re-release.

Siege Megs' forehead is far superior, and the wider helmet might not be consistent with all angles of his cartoon model, but it does seem in keeping with many version designs of the character. Personally I prefer the Siege version, or, failing that, the Netflix alternate paint (though I don't love all the brown tarnished sections in his battle damage paint job.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Yup. I remember as a kid reading the card back/box back on Transformers and mulling over who to take home. It was especially important when they hadn't showed up on the cartoon or the comic yet.

It's frustrating they put so much time into engineering, and then chuck 'em in a box with a couple renders and call it a day. Surely somebody in their design department or creative team could take a few minutes per figure to write a bio and toss it into a graphic template.

• Like Like x 4
  11. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Gone for some milk

News Credits:
    I miss seeing the old bios on TF figures on the back of the box. Like back when they had the 2007 or RoTF/DoTM toyline I actually enjoyed reading those.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

So I drove my ass all the way to an ikea, looking for a new bookshelf, and apparently they are out of stock and get more thursday. I mean it's fine I don't mind waiting, I just feel like I wasted an hour driving out there man

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    Bloody hell why is it so hard for Hasbro to make proper runners for toys? They didn’t bother to make a new blue one for ER Prime, everything is painted on Starscream (his head is bleeding paint and so is his crotch). Come on Hasbro!
    ED9422AA-7357-451E-BBFB-C58FF1BF8AF7.jpeg
    100A5D94-C5E3-426D-AFC4-955CED9F6D9F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not to kick you when you’re down, but you can check IKEA’s inventory online before driving out there. Also, the non-TF rant thread is here:
    General Rant Thread

My rant is simple: too much stuff I want and not enough money!

15. VehiconVindication

VehiconVindication Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I was kinda looking forward to Blitzwing, but it's going to be a pain if I'm having to worry about paint rubs...

16. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    I don’t know if I can wait much longer for ER wave 2. I gobbled everything up around the beginning of the year, save Optimus, but I’ll be getting the Dead version when he comes out in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Optitron98

Optitron98 Guy who loves blue and sarcasm

Ebay:
    Quick rant, what the hell amazon or hasbro? I bought Studio Series Sideswipe for $20 back mid-May (I don’t have Prime, I rather bulk buy to save on shipping) and it’s nowhere close to being shipped, let alone packaged. Yes, shipping did say mid June at the worst, but I got a message a couple days ago asking if I still want it and considering how much he goes for on the secondary market, I’d be dumb NOT to wait until mid July (when they’d said they’ll just cancel it and return my money). I just wanna know what happened where Amazon said he’ll likely come mid June at the worst to him basically being lost? (what’s a better word?) Yes I know the messed up situation the world is in, but I just wanna know what happened and why give me the false trust.

Literally, he’s all that’s missing that I want for my collection. Studio Series Sentinel just shipped today from Hasbro Pulse so he’s all I want rn.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  18. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I finally secured the final piece of my Shockwave collection. My rant: I ended up with over a dozen keshis/decoys that I don’t need or want. I hate having to buy lots.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

You know there's a line between fairly voicing your opinion about something negatively and just....being exhusting to listen to
    like saying "this doesn't need to exist" or "you are brainwashed for liking X or buying Y or disliking z" it gets to the point where it's like "I'm mad so no one else should like this" and it just like....these are toys man, I don't want to justify why I like ER cliffjumper or why I don't mind non transforming figures, maybe that's just me but that just gets exhusting

• Like Like x 15
  20. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Gone for some milk

News Credits:
    This exactly. To an extent, it's entertaining to watch, but at the end of a day your really just whinning over a friggin toy which is pretty ridiculous.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 7