The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    technically they are already on shelf (Netflix WFC figures) :p 

• Like Like x 2
  2. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    :inquisiti :inquisiti :inquisiti :thumb 

3. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The shows over, this show had alot of going for it since its like g1 and uses g1 designs but they decided to make crappy toys and they didnt sell well now its done

4. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Or y'know someone cool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Capricious Chill

A show starring Buzzsaw. I mean, just his name is cool. And also he took down omega supreme in one of the comics ... before getting offlined by an underbase empowered starscream...

If there's one thing cyberverse proves it's that decent toys absolutely can be made regardless of the aesthetic, and that it'd be nice if they'd do it from the start.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    Ah, I see. Who knows? Hopefully she's in one last big hurrah Deluxe wave or is introduced into the Generations line later on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fc203

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Unfortunately the deluxes are only 4 waves
    I find it stupid that they seperated the last 2 deluxes to their individual waves its dumb and pointless

• Like Like x 1
  8. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I'm realizing more and more that the brand homogenization is kind of a "snake and its own tail" type of thing. Now is a great time for new fans to come in because toys of popular characters are being made accessible and "definitive" (definitely not my word). But for someone like me who's been at this for a decade I'm seeing less and less that interests me, and I can only imagine how people who have been here longer, maybe since the beginning, feel.

For a long time I was one of the people who said "well they've always got to have an Optimus, Bumblebee, etc. on shelves", and from a pragmatic stance that is absolutely true. But more and more I'm feeling that just doesn't cut it, and that HasTak have painted themselves into a corner with that. They promote the same handful of characters over and over, so if they want profit their hands are tied to keep making toys of them. HasTak controls what characters are popular (at least via exposure) AND what characters they make and they've locked themselves into the smallest box imaginable it seems. If it works for them it works, who are they to complain, but I know me and the people I talk to regularly on the boards are starting to feel more and more locked out.

The moment CHUG started redoing characters whose first CHUG figure wasn't absolutely dire is when HasTak started saying "you need THIS character" instead of just doing them once and moving on to something else or something new. The only reason newer fans feel a need for "essential" characters (beyond personal attachment) is because HasTak says so, but once the new fans stop being new fans the trick stops working, and the customer base shrinks until they can hook someone else. But it gets more and more uncreative and homogenized which makes it harder to hook a new person.

• Like Like x 11
  9. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with a lot of what you said, and I’ve been a fan since a young kid back in the 80s. I feel like they need some sort of a shake up, like Beast Wars in 1996 or the movie in 2007. Like them or not, both brought renewed interest and new ideas (beasts and bayformers) to the franchise.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Fc203

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I started about 5 or 6 years ago with cw, and i agree with you, im getting tired of g1 and the same characters getting made over and over
    Chug is honestly killing my hype for a bumblebee sequel, the oversaturation of it makes me feel frustrated because i feel like i already experienced it before

11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    My only response is "It's not about us." Kids are the target demographic, and the 7 year old getting Hoist at the store right now (provided they want Hoist) probably didn't get the T30 one and feel the need to replace them. Those of us that've been here since the first Classics figures rolled out may be feeling some fatigue, but we're a fraction of the market.

• Like Like x 4
  12. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Absolutely, I'm just saying that if the logic in faithfully recreating all the old characters is to draw in older fans in addition to 7-year old Timmy who doesn't care if it's Hoist, Hot Shot, or something Hasbro makes up tomorrow, you might think they would continue to cater to collector interests and innovate instead of going in increasingly tight circles since it doesn't make much difference to Timmy either way.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I'm going to guess that right now the have data that shows the primary interest is in the characters from '84-'86. Not to diminish anyone's love for figures between '87-'95, but those were also relatively lean years for the franchise, at least in the states, when the toyline was being overshadowed by turtles and space ninjas. There just may not be as many fans of the pretenders or ____masters or what have you, and it's not easy to artificially force the issue.

• Like Like x 2
  14. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    No doubt, but why is that the case? If I feed you hamburgers six days a week and a pizza the seventh day, it's going to look like you like hamburgers even if you actually hate them. 84-86 sells better because that's what HasTak keeps making over and over.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    That pizza is starting to look really good.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't understand the complaint about too much g1 lately. There is literally a whole non G1 toyline called "studio series" which, even though i don't personally collect, have pretty good looking non g1 figures/characters. If someone is tired of g1, go try out studio series. I heard the new sentinel prime figure is pretty good.

Edit: i inadvertently made this into a studio series promotion :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

You think they don't do market research? I remember when they didn't do much G1, and fans constantly whined about it. If the fans stopped buying them, they'd stop selling them. If you don't like what's being offered, you don't need to buy anything.

If you're an adult, and you don't want hamburger, you don't have to get hamburger. Go buy something else. I'm sorry if you want Indian food and there's no Indian restaurant in your town, but you still don't need to eat a hamburger, and the burger joint won't change its menu when the customers still want burgers.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    Because theres more than just G1 or movie. People want Beast Wars or the 2000's anime or even JG1 like Masterforce and Victory. Movie stuff has been VERY well documented as divisive at best within these boards

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    That's not what we're talking about. We are talking about wanting Beast wars, Animated, Unicron Trilogy, Prime, heck even Robots in disguise 2015 would be nice.

20. Yoshimon7

Yoshimon7 Potion Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do hear you. I would personappy love some more obscure characters in Japan cartoon like minerva. But those aren't off the table? They recently released a star convoy and a super/ultra/omega megatron. Both japanese centric toys. I doubt hasbro would go all out on japanese centric toyline due to a lack of demand but the current state of the toyline lends itself to a few every so often ie flywheels, liokaiser, sixgun, black shadow
    Out of the ones you mentioned, beast wars seems like the most reasonable to occur. There has been confirmation of something for beast wars happening but i doubt it will be a whole different toyline. Out of the ones u referenced, beast wars has a potential market for due to nostalgia and how cool transforming animals are. The other ones u mentioned though are more niche and probably unlikely to happen. There was a tease for an armada optimus prime during wonderfest but plans for it being released have since been abandoned.

• Like Like x 1