The Official '16-'17 NCAA Football Thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug, Sep 9, 2016.

1. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    USC vs PSU should be an awesome game. Two of the hottest teams in CFB not named Alabama. I think 2 surprise teams as well. I certainly did not think Trojans could end up where we are given the bad start to the season. The change in QB made a huge difference. Fight On SC!

2. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Auburn eh? I will take it.

3. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Washington upsets Alabama.

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I agree it ought to be a great Rose Bowl rematch. Both teams really defied the odds to be there. I'm hoping my Nittany Lions get the W and the payback though. We are!

I am pulling for Clemson or Washington to win the National Championship now. I can't stand Ohio State and Alabama. The key to beating Alabama is getting Jalen Hurts to make mistakes. He is a good player, but he has made some this season. I think it will come down to Clemson and Alabama again. Ohio State is more beatable than people think. They lost once, and they nearly lost to Northwestern, Michigan State, and Michigan.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm hoping Chris Petersen (Washington coach) can pull off another underdog miracle against Bama like when his Boise St team beat Oklahoma a few years back. I really like him as a coach and wished SC hired him when they had the chance.

6. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like Colorado landed in the Alamo Bowl, which is awesome for me in a way since it is in my home state. Going against Oklahoma State may be interesting due to that they used to be conference rivals for a very long time, from the late 1940s until Colorado left the Big 12 conference a couple years ago.

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Aren't we all? :lol 

8. Rusty24

The Heisman finalists just got named today. I think Lamar Jackson takes it because of his incredible skill as an athlete, but I think all the other candidates will have more success in the NFL (unless they are drafted by the Browns or 49ers). The amount of total yards Lamar Jackson has is insane, and he is pretty much the centerpiece of Louisville's entire offense. With that being said, his style is definitely not one that will be easy for an NFL team to adjust to and vice versa. I think Watson and Mayfield will definitely adjust to the NFL better, and Westbrook is one of the best receivers out there.

If I was voting, my vote would go to Jabrill Peppers even though I hate Michigan. He is a defensive coordinator's dream and an offensive coordinator's nightmare. His versatility makes him dangerous. He played several positions, and he did well at all of them. He's a great return guy too. If he chooses to be a Safety, I think he could be pretty good in the NFL. He reminds me a little of Troy Polamalu.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. Starfire22

News Credits:
    I loved Lamar early this season. Now, he has slipped a lot. Hoping Baker, or Peppers gets it.

10. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope Miami beats West Virginia in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

11. Rusty24

I'm not sure how I feel about star players sitting out of Bowl games. On one hand, you owe it to your alma mater to try to give them one more victory/trophy for the trophy case. On the other hand, an injury could cost great players millions of dollars in draft stock.

12. Starfire22

News Credits:
    I think it's awful.

13. Rusty24

Man, I have not guessed a lot of these Bowl game winners correctly. The only ones I got right were shots in the dark on teams I know little about and a couple others. With that being said, I really enjoyed seeing Michigan lose even though I wish Jabrill Peppers could have played.

14. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

As much as I like to root for the BigTen conference to win in bowl games, it always makes me happy to see Harbaugh lose. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rusty24

Come on Washington. Prove to me and everyone else that you deserved the #4 ranking and the shot at the National Championship.

16. Rusty24

Well, it looks like there will be another National Championship game with Bama in it much to my dismay. Hopefully, Clemson can pull off the win tonight so I have someone to root for in that game.

17. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

That Alabama/Washington game was just what everyone expected......terrible.

18. Rusty24

It started off promising, but Alabama adjusted and pulled ahead. Still, I think they looked more mortal than people are giving them credit for. Jalen Hurts can make mistakes, and his downfield passing doesn't scare me. I don't know how you approach beating that defense though. The secondary and the defensive line both play really well.

19. Rusty24

This Ohio State game is the best comedy of the year! An Ohio State shutout would be an awesome end of the year gift.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  20. Rusty24

I loved watching every second of the Fiesta Bowl. It's the only time Urban Meyer has been shut out, and its Ohio State's biggest margin of defeat since 1994. While I enjoyed Clemson embarrassing OSU, I'm going to wait for the Rose Bowl to decide if Penn State would have been far and away better. As a fan and student, the gut reaction would be to oversell your team. I will say though that Penn State has a far better passing attack and shredded the similarly ranked Wisconsin defense.

In the end, I actually think not playing for the conference championship turned out to be a disadvantage if any of that poor offensive play was due to rust.