The Official '08-'09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theLostSeeker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

I'm cautiously optimistic about Burke's era beginning in Toronto. I will say this: He said all the right things in his press conference, about rebuilding, about team toughness (which we have lacked since the Quinn days ended), and I hope he is true to his word. This is the first time in a LONG time that we have had a recent Cup winner at the helm, and one who has been given full autonomy over the team, and that is a great thing.

It's my understanding that he'll be going after Bouwmeester in the new year, so we may see another Toronto/ Florida trade soon enough.

Also, he is bringing in Dave Nonis, who was the Vancouver GM that stole Luongo from you guys a couple of years ago.

On another note, I'm happy to see McCabe is working out well for your team, I was hoping a change of scenery would turn things around for him.

2. sharke

sharke canadian piece of sh*t

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alot of Panthers fans are saying go on ahead and trade Bouwmeester. Last month, there were rumors going around that he might be traded to Ottawa.

But as far as the Luongo trade, everybody blamed Keenan for that and even Martin blamed Keenan. Of course Martin went around boasting that if he were the GM, he would have worked out a deal with Luongo. But I think Keenan is only the partial blame. What happened was Keenan offered Luongo a long-term four year contract. Luongo was going to accept it, until his agent talked him out of it.

4. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  5. sharke

maybe, though I think there's enough people out there who just want Avery's head. lucky for them, Avery is determined to give it.

6. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

Off topic but when the hell is this jersey code gonna come out NHL 09. The seasons getting close to the 1/2 way point and we still haven't got it yet.

It will probably be a bonus feature for NHL 2010.

RBK,EA,NHL quit punching the clown already, people have bought and paid for the game. It's like if you went to a resturant and they brought you your food but then they said "We'll give you your knife and fork when we feel like it" Sure you can eat it with your hands but if I pay $60.00 for a meal (i.e. game) I want everything that's suposed to come with it when I pay for it.

7. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I think this is the main reason he got suspended too. Not so much for what he did this time, but for his overall body of work. I'm not sure I agree completely with the decision either, but I certainly don't feel bad for Avery, he's way too much of a punk.

8. sharke

either way, I think the league's reaction is another embarrassment for the bettmen regime

9. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Great game and greater win by the Canadien tonight, 4-1 against the Flames! To bad we lost two players though. The injury on Higgins doesn't seems too serious, but a fractured arm on Dandenault, ouch that hurt just sayin it :(  He even stayed a bit on the ice after to try to help in defense :eek: 

I'd like to see west teams a bit more though, sucks it's only once a year.

10. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was watching the NHL Network the other day and they reported teams like the Islanders, Atlanta, Florida and Nashville are losing money. They are predicting within the next five years, one of those teams will relocate to Las Vegas.

They also said the NHL has abandon talks about expansion for right now. Due to the economy.

11. sharke

they been talking about that for at least a year. more then likely nashville will be the one to move. I've heard that talks are already under way for the predators to bounce but it'll be like 3 years before that happens. the rumor mill also says that the 3 cities to get a new team will be vegas, kansas city, and a 2nd team in toronto with kansas city being the most likely. but hey, thats the rumor mill talking.

I really hope they keep florida and/or atlanta so there's one team close to play tampa. I really don't see them moving the islanders as well, that one may have just been tossed in like everyone did with ottawa last year. I kinda see them moving florida but I noticed when the thrashers were sold a year or two ago, bettman and co didn't make a big stink about them not moving like they did when Lightning switched hands. personally, I think they'll just move predators to kansas city and call it a day. vegas will probably get a nba franchise and be done with it.

12. sharke

though I'd also like to add that when any team is in the tanker standings wise there's talk of relocating. that goes for all sports.

13. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Holy crap, had to dig deep to find this thread.

Anyway, East All Star team was announeced. Good to see Tim Thomas make it, even if he hasn't been playing as much as of late since Manny Fernandez has been so hot. Can't believe Kessel's not on there, and I can see why Caps fans are irate, I mean, no Semin, no Green. And the ballot stacking by the Habs fans? Disgraceful.

Any other thoughts on the East roster?

14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not surprise that Defenseman Jay Bouwmeester is on the All-Star lineup, even though he wants out of Florida. But I believe he will be traded before the deadline.

Lastweek I have read about a rumor that both Montreal and Pittsburgh has interest in Bouwmeester. But Martin wants a player, prospect and draft pick in return.

15. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm glad Jeff Carter is in. He's hot right now.

16. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

I think the selection formula for the All-Star game needs to be changed. I'd invite 2 players from each team. Fans in each city nominate the 2 players per team.

Unfortunately, There will always be players forgotten... I.E Patrick Marleau, Steve Mason, Simon Gagné, etc

As for Montreal fans stacking the vote... Pittsburgh fans werent much better, Gonchar, Whitney werent even eligible for the game and they had a high number of votes

17. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Steve Mason is on the Youngstars team

18. sharke

glad Lecavalier made it and while somewhat east related, extremely glad to finally see Dan Boyle go!

it's really a flip of the coin with Marleau and Thornton, both really just feed each other. I'm glad the NHL went with Big Joe instead, both would have been overkill.

that might be hard to come by, is Bouwmeester up for UFA relatively soon?

19. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, Bouwmeester will be a UFA this coming July 1st.

20. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Montreal's offense is on fire these days, 23 goals in 4 games

won 5-4 against the Caps tonight. With all the injuries, i think it's a sign we can do even better