The Official '08-'09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theLostSeeker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

With training camp not even 2 weeks away, I'm really starting to look forward to the start of the season.
    So many things are still up in the air, teams above the cap or under the minimum, the Sundin saga, the trades and signings, the upcoming 3rd jerseys for a few teams, etc.
    This season will also mark the 100th anniversary of the most decorated team in Hockey history, the Montreal Canadiens.

To all the NHL and hockey fans here, have a great season!

Sorry Detroit, the Cup will come back to Montreal this year.

(I can dream, can I?)

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

It bugs me when non mods make "official" threads.

I'm glad Joe Sakic is coming back for one more year. I don't expect much out of the Avs, but they should be fun to watch. And it'll be yet another year where the Stanley Cup fails to be won by a Canadian team.

3. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

And I heard the Habs are going to retire Roy's jersey (no. 33) in November.

Can't wait for the 08-09 season to start!

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Is Roy attending? Last I knew he still harbors bad feelings for the Canadiens organization.

My Devils beefed up their offense a bit in the offseason, bringing back one of my favorites, Brian Rolston. Sadly, the defense is still crap. Holik might help some on the 3rd line if he still plays a pretty physical game.

I don't expect the Devils to be a top contender this year, but I've been proven wrong before. You never know what Lamoriello has up his sleeve.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ... but the winner is made up mostly of Canadians and Europeans.

I'm guessing they must have kissed and made up.

I'm looking forward to seeing Montreal make a run this year, given their centennial. Also, the Flames are looking not too bad on paper... but this has been the case the past couple of years as well. As long as Toronto stinks as bad as many think they will... all will be right with the world.

6. theLostSeeker

Yeah, he'll be there. They made a huge announcement and even had a press conference about it this past week, in Montreal.
    What a great way to make a "come back" in the organization, especially after the way things ended.

I'll take a note of that, I didn't know. Thank you, hehe…

7. theLostSeeker

The season has been officially kicked off in Europe. This raises the question of the possibility of eventually having European NHL teams. I personally don't think it's a good idea, unless they move the couple of useless teams in the States (Carolina, Phoenix, Florida, LA, off the top of my head…) to cities that really want a hockey team. I mean it's the National Hockey League, and not the International Hockey League.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would love to see Rangers win the Stanley Cup again in my lifetime. :) 

9. DevilzFan

Betteman has repeatedly stated that he has no plans, nor interest in having teams from outside North America in the NHL.

I'm pumped for Friday night. I'll be at the Devils home opener :D 

10. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    ^ That should read Ouside the States!:drunk 

11. DevilzFan

I understand what you are saying, but if the Cities/States can't afford/support the teams, they have every right to move to a place that will. Moving to Colorado was a huge and smart move for the Nordiques organization.

12. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are predicting the FL Panthers will finish 11th or 12th place again this season. I think they have improved the defense, but the scoring will not be all that great.

When they traded Jokinen to Phoenix, it will fall on Horton and Weiss to carry the team.

13. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    Hopefully, this year will mark the year the Blackhawks return to the playoffs. Or at least be officially recognized as an NHL team again :lol 

14. DevilzFan

The 'Hawks are a team that deserves some sort of success. It's been far too long for the once great organization. When was the last time they had a really good team on the ice? During the Befour/Roenick/Chelios days?

15. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Sarah Palin is dropping the puck at the opening Flyers game. Philly fans booed Santa, they have no problem booing the potential VP.

I am more pissed that the Flyers owners have chosen to mix politics and hockey. Hockey is my escape, I don't want any candidate from any party coming in and dividing the fan base.

16. DevilzFan

I'm so pumped to take the train to Newark tomorrow for the home opener! :D 

17. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

My boys shocked the cup champs, and in their banner raising home opener no less!

Leafs surprised almost everyone last night by playing a strong defensive system, but at the same time playing with blinding speed and a very strong forecheck. Toskala stoned detroit in net, and our rookies (of which there are more than a few) played great games.

The Leafs, for obvious reasons, are projected to be last in the league, but if they play the way they did last night, I'll be proud of them every game, win or lose.

18. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Bruins played a hell of a game last night everwhere except on defense. Seriously guys, 39 shots? Just no. They're lucky Thomas was on his game otherwise it would have been a blowout by the Avs. Doesn't worry me too much though, as their defense was solid last year and remains mostly unchanged this year. It was the offense I was worried about, and though it's too early to say, it looks like Ryder and Wheeler will be most welcome additions.

19. DevilzFan

Devils played a horrible game with way too many turnovers. The Devils defense is absolute shit this season. Oduya, Salmela, Mottau, and Salvador have no right to wear an NHL jersey.

Yet somehow the Devils walked away with a win.

1 down, 14 wins to go until Martin Broduer surpasses Patrick Roy on the NHL's All-Time win's list. :D 

20. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Habs get beaten by the Sabers 2-1 (in shootout), and now it's a tale of both the Leafs and Habs duking it out next game.

Anyone hear about the part where Def Leppard put the Stanley Cup upside down? Link