The novelty effect: how long does it last?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Aug 12, 2010.

1. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    It depends on the individual figure. Newly-acquired G1s can keep me occupied for weeks (even though they're essentially antiques compared to today's figures) while I can move-on from a trilogy/bay-verse figure after only a few days. Explain that... :lol 

2. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    The more I get, the more I want, basically. Some figures "hold my interest" longer than others, like Leader Screamer, who I've played with every day for the five or so weeks I've had him.

Overall the novelty factor lasts for a significantly shorter amount of time than it did when I was a kid and only got a new toy maybe once a month.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Novelty on modern TFs wears off near instantly. A good G1 or reissue, though, the novelty stays there for years!!

4. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

How about you buy less Transformers? Sounds to me you're buying stuff just to buy stuff... I'd save up for stuff you know you really want.

5. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get a transformer about once in a lucky month, so... Yeah, I'm refraining myself from buying most of the new stuff to save for the upcoming TF3 lines tho. But Drift is really tempting...

I used to get a fig like about once or twice a year, but now I'd like to say they're coming in a lot faster. That definitely depends on the hype tho. Which means I felt the novelty effect dying quite a bit after the ROTF figs.
    It's still there, but it just isn't in there that long. I used to fiddle with them non stop for at least 3 weeks after I got the fig, but now it's like "WHAT DO I DO WITH IT?" And so I leave it on the table, and fiddle with it whenever I can, and after about a week, they go on the shelf.
    So I'd say not long.

6. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    This is a practise I'm now trying to employ. It does make getting a Transformer toy far more enjoyable, as opposed to getting a bag full and not knowing where to start...and then just wanting more.

As for me, the novelty doesn't "wear off"...it just drifts in and out of focus. Like when I first got Universe Powerglide I transformed him...and then put him on a shelf and wandered off. Then yesterday I couldn't stop fidgeting with him. Ditto with most of my Legends class toys.

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think some of it depends on the figure. I got Seaspray recently and I enjoy him so much I kept transforming him every couple days and had a hard time taking him off my desk to make space for newer figures. Some of those newer figures are cool and all, but not quite as exciting. So maybe try being more selective in what you get- that will also help you with the inevitable issues of space and money.

8. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

Until I have it transformed into whichever mode(s) it wasn't packaged in and back again :D 

Okay, that's a massive exaggeration. Depends on the figure, but usually it lasts me a good week or two. For this, I actually prefer figures with somewhat obtuse instruction sheets, because that means there will be little bits and details of the transformation that I continue to figure out over those first couple weeks.

9. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    The novelty wears off fairly quickly to me for most Transformers, yet I can't bring myself part with most of them....yet.

In the end, I never get a figure unless I've got a strong gut feeling I'm going to like it. It doesn't end up always being the case (liking everything), obviously, but it does significantly limit the amount of "WTF did I buy this thing again?" purchases.

Also, having a limited display space helps, as it's more likely to keep you in check unless your an obsessive toy robot hoarder or something. Although, we all kind of are as collectors of anything, aren't we?

10. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    Being a broke sixteen year old who can only buy Transformers if he saves up...the novelty DEFINITELY doesn't wear off.

I'd say only buy what you want.

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I transformed the long awaited Bruticus upgrade kits about 3 times during the first few days and haven't touched the thing ever since. Where's the panic button? :) 

12. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

It depends on the toy I guess. Sometimes the novelty wears off the moment I open a new toy and my expectations of said toy are not met and therefore I'm disappointed. Some toys, the novelty never wears off and each time I pick it up a broad smile paints across my face and I'm filled with a warm feeling.

13. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm starting to get too addicted too. I've been buying almost weekly (probably weekly, I'm in denial), and I've really got to stop. You know trouble starts when you keep telling yourself this is the last one. :) 

I'm going to try to stop, but it's not going to be easy. I think my last figure will be WFC Megatron and if possible, I'm going to stop. I need to save up for a 3DS, Tron Figures, and Power Rangers Zords next year, not to mention the third TF movie and Transformers: Prime!

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I find the most fun to be the hunt and finally finding what you want.

Actually owning the toy, the novetly lasts for like 15 seconds.

15. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on the Figure. The one's I've bought just recently haven't worn off in the slightest, aside from maybe Drift.

Bought HA Jazz last week and am still extremely enamored with it.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Novelty factor is one of the main reasons i buy these figures.
    TFTM Incinerator, despite no hands is still one that i play with 3 years on.

i only bought TFU Galvatron because he's the best representation *bot mode* of that character we got so far.

last example are the multi-changers. TFA Shockwave, G1 Blitzwing, Sky Lynx, even the gestalts. i keep playing with them because the novelty to me is that i can't get over how they pull it off. G1 Blitzwing is amazing, even for a brick.

17. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

This.

A steady influx of new toys is bound to make the hobby more mundane, especially if you're just buying anything and everything that comes out. I'd lay off on the pre-release figures too, IMHO, because a lot of the fun in the hobby comes from anticipation of the cool new stuff that will come out!

As an example, after years of dreaming of a Classics Thundercracker, I finally broke down and bought the Henkei version. I have had it 2 months now, and the novelty still hasn't worn off, and I love him even though his stupid launchers won't stay on his arms. But he's my Thundercracker, and I love him!

Personally, I've limited myself to Generations only (with the exception of Seaspray and Banzaitron.) To me, that means I only get four figures at a time, which means I'm spending a little over $40 per wave. And then I have a couple of months break to wait on the next wave. The novelty generally lasts that long, and then I'm building up anticipation for the next wave, which results in more novelty at that time.

Your love for this hobby truly is controlled by how you pace it.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I actually enjoy the biggest part of my Transformers nearly as much as the day I acquire them. Part of each of my purchases is so that I'll be able to enjoy them for a long time.

The short answer, I suppose, is that it's years for me :) 

19. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I only ever buy the Transformers that I really like or always wanted, or are just cool. I'd never buy a Transformer just because it's a missing member of a specific series. Actually, the main reason I get a figure is because either it's an iconic character in TF fiction (and this mostly concerns G1 figures), or the figure has a cool or novel transformation design.

I did dabble a bit in buying pre-release movie figures last year, mostly for the novelty of owning a figure not yet on general release, but that 'thrill' wore off way too soon after receiving the toys, and they were never worth the money I spent.

However, I do still get crazy urges, like a couple of months ago I went to town on a couple of relatively cheap BW Neo figures. Today, most of then are still unopened in the sealed box... Like others have mentioned earlier, the "getting" is sometimes more interesting than the "having".

20. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

I have a big desk at work and I am able to setup and display quite a number of toys on it. I always bring new stuff in, and it stays for anywhere from a week to month. That way I can enjoy new stuff as I get it, for a while, seeing it every day, fiddling with it now and then.

Right now I have 2 GI Joe Sigma 6 figures, Hellboy, NECA Aliens Warrior, 3 SW TFs, 6 TF Classics and 10 3-3/4" Joes. And the Robot Heroes Ultra Magnus.

I'm planning on swapping a few of the Joes and TFs for Nemesis Leader and G3 Trailer and City Commander Magnus, because I haven't played with them for a while.

The only problem is with really expensive stuff, like Nemesis Leader and FansProject Bruticus. I hesitate to leave them unattended overnight or over the weekend (though the cleaning people know not to touch stuff), so I end up carrying it back and forth from home to work for a couple of days before that gets tiring and it ends up at home.