The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    Ikea is 2 hours away from me too, but I find ways to get there, and even to bring home larger items. For example, sometimes I combine a trip with a friend who has a larger vehicle and split the gas cost. Ikea also delivers if you order online, so that may be an option too. Even if there's a delivery charge, it should be cheaper than renting a larger car for the day.

A clean slate in a new home is a beautiful thing. I moved into a new home in 2013 and I'm still adjusting my hobby room. My big issue has been whether or not to make it a TF-focused room or a vintage video game focused room, since both compete for space as well as the room's theme. However, I have far more TF stuff, so that is what I'm focusing on right now. I have three more Detolfs to assemble!

2. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

I've been looking for something to replace my 3 detolfs for close to a year now.

I finally found someoneon Craigslist a couple of cities away that might just work. It had the right size, adjustible shelves, built in lighting and lots of storage. The only issue was was the woodgrain front of the doors.

[​IMG]

I finished adjusting everything and painting the front of it last night. Placed all my MPs in there and now I'm quite happy with the finished product. Holds all my boxes and even my liquor.

[​IMG]

Even has a drawer for my accessories and tools.

[​IMG]

In pictures it looks a bit messy because of the mirrors but in person it's pretty cool to be able to see the backs of the figures as well. Anyway, looking forward to completing my collection here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  3. olevelo

olevelo Supreme King of All Transformers Earth Wars

Wow that is awesome. That is exactly what I've been looking for. How much did you end up paying? Any idea what brand/model it is?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

I can't find a brand on it, but the brass hinges say "SH Italy".

The owner just wanted a quick sale (and he got it).

• Like Like x 1
  5. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, so many good ideas in this thread.

I'm finally moved into my new place and am about to start looking for new glass shelves for the collection. Has anyone seen anything new that's not listed in the thread yet?

6. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

7. openchallenge

openchallenge It's own reward

Mine is 3 hours one way. I made it out there and bought four in 2012 and I've needed one or two more for a while now. On top of that TFcon was in the same town as my Ikea last year and I was trying to figure out how to make an overstuffed day trip that included a con and furniture shopping. I didn't make it out there but now just picking up the detolfs seems less complicated than before.

8. mephinc

mephinc Well-Known Member

6 bookcases from target. $30 a piece and I ordered 6 extra shelves from the manufacturer. I need to update my pics as they are 6 months old. Click the fancy little link below to see.

9. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For my display I have gone with curio cabinets, all of them bought used from CraigsList. They don't exactly match but I like how they have turned out. I replaced the can lights with white LEDs and when I'm working in my office at night those are the only lights I keep on; they provide a nice glow across the back of the room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  10. olevelo

Super nice. I started looking on craigslist a few weeks ago after someone else mentioned that. Haven't come across any potential just yet though.

11. Magnus2355

Magnus2355 Active Member

Awesome thread with some amazing collections.

First cabinet I decided to build myself.
    100_0761.jpg

100_0773.jpg

All together with some others that have been gifted or handed down to me from family.
    100_0800.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ruthless Cynic

Ruthless Cynic Well-Known Member

I took a brief hiatus from his hobby as I purchased a house and built a dedicated home theater. Next up on the agenda is converting the non finished section of my basement into a comic/Transformers room. I appreciated all the outside the box thinking on display ideas. I owned 4 detolfs in the past but wasn't in love with them. Specifically, I was not overly fond of how figures (G1 primarily) would topple or slide. I have approximately 1800+ Transformers, so its going to be a massive undertaking selecting what will be on display at any given time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

13. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Finally moved into my new house and am setting up my display. It is modified from the old shelves from my old house. The cool thing about this is I have been able to re-size these for 3 different homes. Detolf shelves won't cut it for me because of the enormous amount of shelves I need. I have a dedicated room and only about 30% can be on display at once. These are 8 feet tall and adjustable in width and shelving. This is in our rental home now. The plan is when I sell my old house in Orlando and we buy one here, hopefully our last house in a long time, is to finalize the size of them to the new house and replace the shelves with glass and drill holes for lighting at the top. For now they stay wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those were made from the same shelves from the old house.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  14. olevelo

Anyone have any cool new ideas? I'm on a torrid search again, as my collection has outgrown my Ikea Fabrikor (photos early in this thread). I really want something more "widescreen" to show off my MP's, but it's really hard to find wiiide shelves (at least for under a grand!). I've scoured Craigslist, and found a couple of potentials in LA, but it's an hour and a half drive at best, plus trying to carry a giant cabinet in the back of the pickup truck down the highway with 30-40 mph winds seems like a bad idea.

I keep going back to the Nornas (NORNĂ„S Glass-door cabinet with 2 doors - - IKEA) and I've seen a couple photos with that and it looks decent. Needs staining though, and would really have to get two side-by-side. But it's probably the cheapest option (but again have to go into friggin' LA!).

I've been considering this cheap thing on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Coaster-Home-Furnishings-950170-Cabinet/dp/B00FPGP4KA). It's also not as wide as I'd like, but again, maybe two side-by-side would be good. The price keeps fluctuating, literally every few minutes! Reviews are mixed on it, but reasonable price.

Or I could just go all-out and get one of the Pulaski cabinets (not as wide, but way cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/Pulaski-Curio-30-76-Inch-Black/dp/B003GWRAGG or nice width but hella $$$: https://www.amazon.com/Pulaski-Sliding-83-Inch-Chocolate-Cherry/dp/B000Z7823U)

Although for those prices I could just go with Displays2Go and their crazy shipping costs. Also not sure about having the mirrored back. Might make it look too cluttered?

Finally, I've seriously considered trying to just build one. I've never taken on anything quite like that though. 36x30 glass panels are pretty cheap at Home Depot, and could be used with some framing it seems. Or could go acrylic, which would cost more, but can get bigger panels.

Stupid dust....

15. dutt7

dutt7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Pulaski's recently.
    But considering a pair of these:
    Frameless Wallcase Full Vision

Anyone with experience with these?

16. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. Just one. Shipping is $200, though. Still cheaper overall than anything i've seen that is similar.

17. olevelo

Wow that thing is perfect! Just like the ones I've looked at on Displays2Go, but for like half the price. Shipping is $240 to me in CA though. :/

Actually, it looks like it's exactly the same as this one: Full Vision Glass Displays | Cherry Laminate Display Case So it's about $100 cheaper, but shipping from D2G is $450! I wonder if this other place is way cheaper because it's unassembled? Also realized the more expensive ones on D2G all have built-in lighting...does it really add that much cost?

I've also been thinking maybe I don't want/need shelves all the way to the floor, as I don't really want to bend down to view them anyway. Which brings me back to the Nornas again. Or from this same site you linked, they have 2 and 3 shelf versions of this wide display...wonder if I could get/build something to elevate them on? They're quite heavy though! Plus for less than $200 more I can get just one of these, and it would hold more than 2 Nornas or the smaller cabinet.

Hmm...thanks for the link!

18. dutt7

dutt7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yea, I'm pretty convinced I'm going to pick one up now.
    Just not sure if I want to get two or the extra wide version.
    Going to do some measurements and such this weekend.
    As well as maybe call them and discuss shipping and schedule.
    Anyone else decides to purchase one, please keep us updated.
    I'll do the same.

19. dutt7

dutt7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    fyi, I spoke with some friends in the Dallas/Allan area and they have actually purchased things from these guys at the local store and were very happy with them. Thought it was worth the mention.

20. Alterator

Alterator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to get real curio cabinets like these, but my collection is just too large - and I'm too cheap. I've been looking at these:

BILLY / OXBERG Bookcase - IKEA

I'd probably pick a different color, but this seems like the best bang-for-the-buck when looking at cabinets with glass doors. Unfortunately, I need several of these :(  Does anyone have a cheaper alternative? The Detolfs are cool, but I don't want to go through modding them, and some items are too tall.