The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Mike Lundberg

Mike Lundberg Well-Known Member

Interesting--this could be a good option for people who like to group multiple cases together. It looks like these could fit flush next to one another. The problem with Detolfs is that the bases keep them from fitting snugly together, which makes them look less cohesive as a whole.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hawkwave

Hawkwave Well-Known Member

Added acrylic windows to one of my Billys.
    20230726_181534.jpg
    Just in case anyone was wondering. Bookcase, acrylic, lighting, and other needed supplies cost about $285.

• Like Like x 15
  3. DubV

DubV Pondering the imponderable

News Credits:
    I respect your BW completionist OCD. I’m afflicted as well, just with combiner teams instead of alt modes.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gaius Freeman

Gaius Freeman Well-Known Member

Hey all. Wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions on lighting for displays around a TV i know what LED strips etc I will be using, but I'm uncertain about placement and quantity for frameless cases. At the glass, they are each 18 inches wide by 16 inches deep/long. Ugly marked up phone-edited photo below, and the Autobot side is mirrored to the left of the TV::
    IMG_20230726_201200__01__01.jpg
    • White lines are my planned warm white LED strips in black V channels with white diffusers.
    • Yellow is additional strips (warm white as well) that I'm considering. I'm unsure if they're a good idea. If the white lines could be used on a low brightness with the TV, would the yellow somehow create to much light pollution? I assume it's fine, if they can be used in conjunction with the TV at all.
    • Red is to indicate where a fifth case will go under the TV and serve as a small shelf for amp etc to sit atop..
    Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on this sort of thing?

Edit: a friend suggested that I backlight the TV. Hadn't really considered that until now.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Hawkwave

Beastwars are the only characters I think of as having their character expressed in both alt and bot mode. The legacy line is the only way I could express both without going bankrupt :cool: . But I think I am pretty much done. I may still get Silverbolt, but thats probably it. Running out of room anyway. I'm happy I do not have your combiner habbit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Depends on whether you have dimmable or non-dimmable LEDs. If you can dim the lighting, then it gives you options. One thing to be careful about is if they put out too much light, then it'll be hard to look at the cabs because the light scatter will be crazy. I recommend somewhere near a 3000K light, because it looks a bit softer. I find that any light near a TV always creates artifact.

I don't recommend backlighting a TV. I mean, I know people do it, but I find it can fool the eye and change the impression you have of the image on screen. If you do backlight, take it out of the usual axis of vision, so it minimizes the chance it'll throw your colour perception off.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gaius Freeman

Thanks for the thoughts. The LEDs are dimmable, and I will be experimenting with light levels.I had a suggestion from someone to consider running the strips in channels vertically at the front corners of the case. I have to admit that it would make more sense for discrete wiring. Basically 2 or 4 vertical strips for each pair of cases. In the image below, white for sure, yellow maybe. I'm not sure if adding the yellow placement would break up each pair of cases too much.

Next will be figuring out how to power and control them. I have no idea what I'm doing in that department.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hawkwave

I controll all my lights with these if it helps. Less annoying than a bunch of remotes and allows you to buy cheaper lights.

KMC Smart Plug Mini 4-Pack, Wi-Fi Outlets for Smart Home, Remote Control Lights and Devices from Anywhere, No Hub Required, ETL Certified, Works with Alexa and Google Home ************/d/cimfTvx

I usually just plug a powerstrip into the smart plug and all the lights into the powerstrip.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gaius Freeman

Definitely going to look into those. I may still go with remotes, as the lights I bought are dimmable. I'm meeting up my a buddy of mine with LED experience this weekend to hash through ideas on wiring.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    Okay gang. I’m moving in a few weeks and will finally have the space to display my collection.

I think I’m going to go the route of buying one of these Billy/Högbo combos:

BILLY / HÖGBO Bookcase w glass doors, white, 311/2x113/4x791/2" - IKEA

I saw this pic while trying to reference the look I’m going for and fell in love with it. I plan on doing the same lighting as well:
    IMG_8912.jpeg

Now, I realize this is two cases but how many MPs do you think I could fit per shelf without looking overcrowded or layering? 6 tops? I really like how this case in the above photo gives each figure their own space to shine. I have around 30 MPs, Cell Unicron, 40 NewAge bots, and assorted movie/video game figma/mafex/SHF figures. I’m thinking it will be impossible to fit all my toys in one case without looking overcrowded but if anyone has this exact setup please share your pics and or tips!

• Like Like x 5
  11. Zagginhoof

Zagginhoof Well-Known Member

Hey, I have a similar setup; Billy with doors. You can fit a good amount of MPs of all sizes. I like the ability to adjust the shelf heights to limit the waste of vertical space.
    I really prefer the lights you posted but I opted out of those because my collection is ever changing and I didn’t/don’t know what my final layout will be- therefore I didn’t want to drill a bunch of holes on the back to run wires. In my setup I run 1 led strip down the back of each door with 2 holes on either side of the bottom for the wires to escape behind the shelf. Not the best lighting but it does the trick for now. (I still need to hide the leds on the outter cases)
    IMG_3389.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  12. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Back before kids (15-18 years ago??) I bought glass shelves for my Billy bookcases, does Ikea not sell those anymore?

getting an office at my new job next week and want to get a shelf in there after I am settled.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They totally do!! When you’re on the website they’re not obvious though … click on the “extra shelf” that displays in white, and one of the options is glass… I literally just redid my display room these last few weeks and I needed to buy some extra ones!

Just for reference, these are all Billy Bookcases with the extensions on top, everything switched to glass and then I added Amazon puck lights (I drilled and wired them to look as built in as possible)

I’m not 100% happy with the how the light looks on the farthest away shelves from the lights but I don’t have a great solution … in person, the room has a total vibe and I love it but in photos it shows up more dark than in person because of the way the camera captures it!

IMG_7922.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  14. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Any tips on how to keep air bubbles from getting in the vinyl?

15. Hawkwave

The auto pinstriping tape has zero problem with air bubbles. The only problem is small pieces of dust that may get trapped. But for the most part it goes on smooth and the dust particles are not a major issue.

I used electrical tape on my first windows on my large mp cases, that was a nightmare in comparrison.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kshaps

kshaps Busting Deceptichops

Ebay:
    Ugh…just found out the white IKEA Billy/Högbo has been sold out for six months in my area. Rumored restock in October. I tried to get the combo or just the bookcase and the doors separately. No stores within 50 miles of me have any pieces in stock. Guess I won’t be displaying my collection anytime soon. :( 

17. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

I posted this in the Detolf thread.

Ikea has a 15% off sale for Students/Teachers. Might have to take a look at the Blaliden and Klingsbo.

College Students and Teachers Get 15% off Their In-Store Home Furnishings Purchase of Up to $3,000 (Pre-Tax)
    *Offer valid 8/8-9/5/23. *U.S. only. Valid on in-store purchases only. Must show valid college or teacher ID (or recent pay stub or homeschool document) or current college acceptance letter at time of purchase. Not valid online. Discount applied before tax, shipping, and handling. Not valid on delivery, installation, assembly, or tax. Not valid on IKEA Gift Cards or payment of your IKEA credit card. Offer excludes Click & Collect, Kitchen Planning or other services. Not valid in IKEA Swedish Restaurant, Bistro, or Food Market. Cannot be combined with other IKEA offers or coupons. For single item transactions, the net purchase price after application of the discount will be reflected on the sales receipt. For multiple item transaction, discount applied proportionally across eligible items purchased, as shown on receipt. On returns, only the net purchase price as shown on receipt is refunded.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a definitive answer, but how tall is the space between each shelf on the Billy assuming that we use all the shelves?

19. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    The shelves are adjustable, least on the Billy I bought about 10 years ago, so the space between shelves isn't set in stone.

20. Toker

Toker Well-Known Member

I should have rephrased it a little better. If you space all the shelves evenly, what would be the height of each shelf?

It is good to know that they're adjustable for taller figures.

• Like Like x 1