The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
  2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did you build these? I have some family members that are really good at this kind of stuff in fact I designed my Star wars lightsaber case and my Father-in-law built it for me. I'm thinking I would have my lighting coming from the ceiling instead of the cases but I like the idea of storage underneath.

Man there are some great ideas in this thread.

3. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

No, I have no skill in that regard. They were designed and built for me by a bespoke furniture / carpentry company based on my specifications. I need to get them in again to do some more smaller units soon :) 

4. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Thank you for posting pics and a link to that Pulaski curio. Very interested in it. Can you tell us what the height dimensions are for each shelf? The link at the site doesn't say.

5. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Raiju

Raiju Go For Broke Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks, much appreciated! Said cabinets are filling up fast though. :lol 

Man, that looks fantastic! Like professional museum quality, even. Very impressive!

Those are some sweet shelves!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I was recently talking to Motor_Master about Sam's custom Masterpiece shelves.

I'm in the [slow] process of rearranging my things. I have two Gorilla shelves, one each for my Alts/BTs and then my G1s. Right now, I only have some old bookcases for things.

I'm sure you guys are very much aware of how your own displays evolve and change over time. That's very much were I am right now.

8. clydegoobler

clydegoobler Autobot

News Credits:
    Here's my setup. With 4 kids, I don't have a lot of room for display, and these shelves do a really nice job. Got them on Amazon, but can't remember the name of them.

I may get one more of these to space things out a bit; it's a little more cluttered than I prefer and there are a few things I'm not displaying currently that I'd like to put out.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Man, you guys are killing it - nice work!

10. Grimlock4523

Grimlock4523 Me Grimlock, KING!!!

Really impressive stuff!

11. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Some of the displays you guys have posted range from tasteful to jaw-dropping! So good to see so much variety.

Sometimes I feel like my display is always evolving. Right now I'm glad that there's some stability, but as my MP collection grows I'm gonna have to figure out how to deal with it.

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    This is all so very impressive. I see myself building a hybrid of what iDarkDesigns and Autoclot have. I like the idea of having the bottom two - three feet for storage, esp where it won't be a dedicated display room, but rather a home media room.

I've already started researching sites to get the sliding glass door hardware from.

13. SCENARIO

SCENARIO Well-Known Member

News Credits:

love those Besta units :thumb  thats something id be after for sure. I ran across a few collections using the Besta and like how they look stacked on one another. very cool and uniform.

was curious if anyone had experience with the Nornas in particular?
    NORNÄS Glass-door cabinet with 2 doors - - IKEA

anyway,This thread is great, lots of diversity and creativity out there especially on the lighting!

14. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
  15. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Holy crap! These are professional toy show grade cabinets! Awesome stuff!

I know this is the "not Detolf" thread, but I use the top of my Detolfs to display my MP's. I have four lined up in a row, and use that to display all of my larger figures. MP's along with Unicron, Devastator and Metroplex are too big to fit inside the cabinets.

16. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    I'm tempted to do that too, but then I'd need to dust the figures!

17. olevelo

olevelo Well-Known Member

I was really hoping for someone to share their experience with it as well. I finally made it to Ikea in person this weekend to take a look. My wife's first reaction was "THAT?!?". Even after I mentioned painting/staining, I got a lot of disapproving looks! It really is quite horrible looking in person. I wish they had examples of it painted or stained to see what it can really look like. I wandered back and forth between display areas trying to decide for a long time. Another thing I wasn't a big fan of was the dark gray backing. It really makes it look not as nice for some reason.

I did find a post yesterday on another collectibles site (sorry, forgot where!) and a guy bought one and painted it white. It looked much much better, but the gray backing still really bothered me.

I ended up getting the Fabrikor (FABRIKÖR Glass-door cabinet - dark gray - IKEA), the same dark gray as the FP on this thread. On the contrary to Nornas, my wife's first reaction was "wow I love this!". She actually liked the lime green one, but I thought it took too much away from the transformers. I built it last night, and will transfer my guys in tonight and try to get some photos up. It really is nice.

The downside to the Fabrikor is it's not as wide. However, it is pretty deep. And it's only 3 inches narrower than the Nornas...but you lose a little more visibility due to the thick corners. I am displaying mine from the back though, so I've actually gotten a couple inches back in my display. I'll be able to explain that better when I get the photos up. The other thing I liked about it over the Nornas was the adjustable height shelves. If I can find some more brackets and glass, I could probably even fit another shelf in there.

I still kind of would've liked to get the Nornas and paint it black, or stain it really dark, and see how that turns out. But you know, happy wife and all!

18. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    Happy Wife = Happy Life

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of your finished set-up.

19. olevelo

olevelo Well-Known Member

OK, got my Fabrikor all setup and loaded. The good: it looks awesome! The bad: It's still too small.

As I mentioned earlier, I put it in the corner and faced it backwards, so I have better visibility out of the "front". It's about 5 inches from the wall at the corners, and the door opens fully, so there's plenty of room to load the guys up from the rear. Just a little more awkward to get them positioned because I'm at the side. But I think it's worth it to gain the 2-3 inches of extra horizontal visibility (check out the first post for a comparison of the door frame).

The corners/edges don't really bother me as much as I thought they would, as far as a reducing visibility inside. Again, I think facing it backwards helps a lot here.

The depth is pretty great. I think there's an extra 5-6 inches each direction compared to a Detolf. Of course there's no option to try to combine them to double the width, but I'm not a big fan of the way that looks anyway. The adjustable shelves really open the display possibilities. Of course, it will now be extra painful to re-arrange, facing backwards!

Probably my biggest complaint is the height. I'm 6 foot, and tower over it. I have the top shelf low enough that I can still see pretty much everyone there as long as I'm about 2-3 feet away. But I'd prefer it were about a foot taller. Not sure of a good way to raise it up though with the way the legs are made/attached.

OK, on to the photos! I didn't really pick the best time of day, as you can see with the glare and the lighting.

A mid-level shot that shows the best of the cabinet (except the glare!):

[​IMG]

From eye-level, about 4 feet away:

[​IMG]

Side views:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Season 1/2 Autobot shelf:

[​IMG]

Decepticon / Season 3 shelf:

[​IMG]

Dinobots and Superion (yeah I know, but I love him!):

[​IMG]

Now I need to look into lighting. It has tabs and holes setup for the Ikea lighting, which should obviously work for any other LED strips as well. Just not sure what I want to do just yet. One advantage of the thick edges is that the cordage will be much easier to hide!

The bigger issue is that I have plans for many more guys! So not sure what to do. I obviously can't cram too many more in here. It's already more cluttered than I'd like. If I go with a second one, I can't really put them side-by-side in the corner. Oh, decisions. On the flip side, I don't know that the Nornas would have been much better, as again, it's only an extra 3 inches. However, two of those would go side-by-side a little better.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Great job on the Fabrikor!

Have to say I could never have the door facing towards the back, I like to grab and fiddle with these guys too much, but the extra visibility is nice.

I think the legs of the Fabrikor might be removable, no? In that case you could line a couple of them up on a sideways Kallax unit or something like that (that's what they do with Detolfs, I believe). The legs are probably my least favourite part of the unit, particularly the feet, but I love the retro look.

It is quite a small cabinet, height-wise. Better to place it somewhere where you are able to see it when you're sitting down from your desk or sofa, etc, that way all shelves are visible.

Tell you what - if they started making the Fabrikors in red or purple then it'd be brilliant getting one each - for the Decepticons and the Autobots. Hmm that's actually not a bad repaint idea...