The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Mike Lundberg

Mike Lundberg Well-Known Member

I would never allow direct sunlight to hit my display. I have 99% UV blocking tint on my windows, but I also have sun shades that go down when direct sun is coming through.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Spelling Chekcer

Dang, that stuff is expensive once you go for a 24" or 36" wide roll. But I've checked on Amazon and E-bay for UV blocking film and half the comments are people saying they checked the film with UV meters and none of it works. Not sure if it is just marketplace sellers trying to sabotage one another or what.

At home I got double-pane, UV blocking windows when I updated the house 10 years ago. I still keep the mini-blinds shut in the rooms with figures. At the office I know I've left stuff in front of our single-pane windows and plastics fade and crack if I leave something on my windowsill for a year. I've got my shelves on the same wall as the window and starting a couple to either side so that direct sunlight can never hit anything, but they'll still get reflected light off the far walls. I'd love to get UV film to put on the windows to help with that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. evilalien

evilalien i have no idea what i’m doing

This is a very inspiring thread, and a new way to blow even more money on these collection shenanigans.

I don’t have the patience, time, or skill to build my own solutions like some of you. Hat-tip, but my path is going to involve throwing money at Ikea. I’m look at some options, potential the Rudsta, but right now I like something like a bank of tall Besta units with glass doors.

Updated opinions on Besta v Brimnes v similar?

Edit: priorities are a classy display for mostly MPs (TT and 3P), and having something for Haslab Unicron either inside or on top of something would be ideal. I’m not totally happy with how I have Unicron setup in my home office and considering alternatives.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  4. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 S’goden, s’doodis

I just got a 1-wide X 3-tall Besta cabinet with the fancy glass doors and 6 glass shelves for my son’s growing Lego collection. We had some puck LEDs from his old loft bed that we put inside. It looks great (I’ll take some pics tomorrow), but, IMO, is not worth what I paid (~$400). The cardboard backing, while looking OK, is not nailed on the back, but simply slides into a groove. That makes the whole unit ‘loose’ when assembled, and tilt to one side when the doors are opened, making them un-square. I could have simply gotten the glass doors and shelves from IKEA and made a sturdier cabinet box using a 4x8’ sheet of 3/4” MDF painted flat black (for MUCH cheaper; oh well, hindsight and all that…). If you go with a Besta unit, be prepared to either add some real wood on the back for bracing, use wood glue to secure the cardboard backing in the slot, or attach it to a wall. I think the modded/stacked Rudsta solution is more cost effective and likely sturdier. Brimnes may be cheaper overall as well in terms of $/volume, as long as you don’t need something with more depth.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Burneygames

Burneygames Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Starting up the earthspark shelf 72FD0783-9F3A-4144-8E46-46D86D8909E2.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  6. evilalien

Thanks for the advice.

I’m very annoyed that the backing in Besta is just cardboard, especially considering I was looking at what would possibly be over $1000 CDN including frames, glass shelves, glass doors, drawers in the lowest section of each, etc.

I’ll go check options out in person, but in no rush. I’ll update office cabinets and storage later in the year, so I have lots of time to consider options.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
  7. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

20220625_201822.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  8. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 S’goden, s’doodis

A few sample pics. The fancy glass Besta doors are really nice.

3070E1A4-89F3-486C-8A00-F038851E5856.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  9. evilalien

Its pics like that which make me want to order 3x that and ignore the dodgy cardboard backing. I might have to get a low frame too, and stand Unicron on it. This is going to be expensive.

10. Enemy

Enemy Just hoping everything works out soon.

Figured I'd stick my head in here. Plenty of beautiful displays, but I come to you all with a request. I'm looking at cases for my mostly Legends collection, and while detolfs are cheap, the fact they're all glass bothers me slightly. Does anyone have any good, relatively cheap, and cat-proof options? I've got maybe 4 feet to work with width-wise. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What don’t you like about all glass? Worried that your cats will break it ? The ikea Rudsta are a popular choice these days. More than the Detolfs even, and will fit the four foot limit exactly. They have glass doors and walls but aren’t entirely glass unlike the detolfs. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?q=rudsta

i
    f you want no glass at all and have more verticals space, you could get a billy book shelf from ikea.
    Having the glass doors is nice for keeping dust (and probably cats) off your figures and shelves, so the Rudsta is probably your best bet. You can also buy glass doors for the billy as well.

• Like Like x 2
  12. evilalien

I love the “cat proof” requirement :D  Same here, though very little is actually cat proof vs a sufficiently motivated cat. Mine are like raccoons. They open doors, they solve problems.

I’m considering Rudsta and Besta.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

You can also go with the Billy with glass doors. A bit basic, but it works, plus you can mod it with magnetic latches so that your cats (probably) can't get in....

14. Hawkwave

Hawkwave Well-Known Member

@Enemy I display my legends on a Hemnes and Billy bookshelf. I don't have doors on mine. The Hemnes was repurposed from a different display. But its increased width and depth comes in handy. Below are some older pictures.
    Hemnes
    20210810_201124.jpg
    Billy
    20210810_201439.jpg

• Like Like x 16
  15. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Super clean!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Enemy

Enemy Just hoping everything works out soon.

Late reply, but what lights are those in your billy?

17. Jalen Gatton07

Jalen Gatton07 Adapt or Die Tonight

News Credits:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Those are great

18. Hawkwave

• Like Like x 8
  19. Hawkwave

Newest project almost done.
    20230312_213224.jpg
    Its built out of 4 black laminated shelves bought from home depot. The back is made of hardboard and the backdrop is a cloth wall tapestry stretched over the backing before i attached it. I'll share the final pictures once its placed and loaded with the rest of the figures going in it. Pretty stoked how good it came out. Cost about $160.

• Like Like x 11
  20. vproject

vproject Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A friennd of mine moved overseas and left me his old book cases. I printed some TF background panels on sintraboards and used magnetic rechargeable lights for lighting. 20220820_132648.jpg 20220820_132633.jpg 20220820_132704.jpg

• Like Like x 19