The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

Please note, a couple items visible in this picture can partially identify me. If you notice them, please do not point them out in the thread. But feel free to send me a PM and say "Ah ha!" I don't mind if you notice but please don't help anyone else figure it out.

Here is my current shelving setup. You can see all domains of my collection in this picture, except for the glossy black Ikea dresser I sometimes use to take daytime pictures, and the closet where POTP Inferno is watching over my empty boxes, tools, and unused Nonnef upgrade kits...

The glass front bookshelves are the 1970s equivalent of Ikea furniture. Though they are made of hardwood and durable, soldered glass panels, they were still considered junk meant for college students at the time, and that's how we came by them: hand-me-downs from my in-laws. They are very "gappy" and thus don't do much to keep dust out, but it's definitely better inside the shelves than it is outside. The figures INSIDE my shelf are probably as dirty as the ones OUTSIDE your shelves. The ones outside my shelves have to be handled and cleaned about once a week or they will get very dusty. Luckily, I enjoy taking care of this collection, and every Friday I redo my Autobot and Decepticon shelves. I am probably going to re-do the top area again on Saturday, as it's been together for quite a while now, and innovation counters stagnation.

Bottom shelf - Nintendo Power, MAD, and Cracked magazine collections.

FullShelves.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome. Thanks! Have you done anything to the doors to make them more dust proof?

3. Onibaku_Rave

Onibaku_Rave Posing is part of my religion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Not really, I’m sure you can add a strip of foam around the bookcase frame. There’s plenty of room for it

4. ophyjgjhnfn

News Credits:
    Awesome. Once we move, I think I'm going with this. Sucks to not have my built in shelves anymore but I realized yesterday it's now cheaper to buy these things than for me to build them from plywood...

Which Billy's are you using there? Are they extra wide or anything?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  5. Onibaku_Rave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Just the full sized ones in black. The cheaper one is half the size of the ones I got

6. ophyjgjhnfn

News Credits:
    Okay, that sounds like the same ones I was looking at. Great. Since I'm putting my "one new version of all original toys" collection from T30 to present in there, your pictures are really helpful for seeing what fits, too. Rats! Guess I'll have to track down that expensive Grand Maximus now... Still wish they'd put it on Pulse and add the shell.

7. Onibaku_Rave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    “One new version of all original toys” basically sums up my collection in the picture. There are a few exceptions like Arcee, Unicron, Primus etc but basically anyone who had a cartoon appearance and toy are displayed here

• Like Like x 1
  8. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

Anyone else have more rudsta displays set up?

9. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have all 3 set up. I'm still filling out the rest of my displays (I've been delayed by IRL stuff).
    What do you wanna know?

10. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought I'd share another WIP of 2 of the 3 Rudstas. I'm still organizing my displays (3 rudstas, 5 detolfs )so stuff is kind of everywhere (as you can see). But this shows a nice benefit of the Rudstas: the dresser level top and the near perfect sized shelves. As you can see, you can fit a LOT of figures in the shelves. And the depth of them is nothing to sneeze as. A couple display things to note for reference:
    -Scorponok on the left is posed dynamically, with the dail of Trypticon behind him. Trypticon's face is not smashing against the glass. Plenty of room all around for fliers if you had magnetic flight stands.
    -Fortress Maximus and Metroplex both fit inside with space to spare. I was able to put a SmallJoes riser infront of Metroplex's feed for some additional room to display deluxes and voyagers.
    -The top of the left rudstate has two CW Combiners (Bruticus+Motormaster) + TFC Ares (who is very wide). The top left Rudsta has 4x CW Combiners (with addons) pretty much shoulder to shoulder. That should give you a good idea of the space.
    -The top left is filled with largely voyagers. It's hard to see but there is 9 of them there (TR Blitzwing, SIege Astrotrain, Soundblaster, Scourger, Cyclonus, Mania King / Galvatron, the three ER Coneheads). So you can fit a lot of them in one shelf.
    -The top right is filled with largely deluxes. There are three voyagers (Inferno, Blaster, Grapple), 15 deluxes and a a number of sub-deluxe figures.

What's the best place for the Rudsta's extra shelves if you put Titans in them? Right on top of the Rudsta!

I've put my Eaglemoss Star Trek ship collection there. I really like how it looks. Those other TF figures are there temporarily as I find them homes.

Closing thoughts: my opinion of Rudsta remains the same: if you display large format figures or Titans, they're better than Detolfs. If you display a lot of combiners, they're better than detolfs. If you display large groups (io.e. all the 1984 Autobots) or making action scenes and want space to breath, they're better than detolfs. They are much better made than Detolfs (but harder to build). However Detolfs are probably superior to the double-wide Rudstas if you're interested in non-crowded shelve style-displays. My meager MP collection would probably not look good in them.

Another note: they're not lit yet, but they will be in time. One project at a time. Still deciding if I'm gonna go for the default Ikea lighting or use strip LED option. I'm leaning towards strip LED. Thoughts?
    Oh one more thing. I haven't put weathering strip in these yet. And though they need it less than the detolf, they will be desirable to have. However the strip will be far thinner than the ones you use on the detolf.

IMG_3841 (1).jpg

Don't mine my casual G1 fortress maximus just sitting there. He's a piece of crap, but he's my piece of crap.

• Like Like x 7
  11. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

Thx for the pix!

I am an MP tak/has collector but also into the Titans and larger combiners (devastator, predaking, saving space for rumored menasor).

I currently have 3 ikea detolfs. I’ll be out of space in maybe 2 years. I’m looking to improve the spacing currently occupied by the detolf. As pointed out, detolfs and combiners or Titans = you lose one shelf since you remove the glass.

Just wanted to see more set ups. I like how you have Titans at the bottom. I had my Titans and combiners above the detolf. I worried that the glass would shatter lol

I saw the Moducase, looks nice but I think it’s a bit too thick in depth. Space is limited at the current living area.

What do you think of the glass on the rudsta? Child age 3-5 proof? Lol

12. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The glass is super durable. Everything about it is built better than the Detolf. I think Moducases are obviously nicer, but they're really just different. You don't get 1 Moducase... you get enough to make a display wall. These Rudstas were $120 each. A legit Moducase display will run thousands. I think on the basis of accessibility, the double wide Rudsta is the best in class of any case for displaying Titans and Unicron in robot mode. It simply wins on Volume. I think for displays where it's like, two Masterpieces per shelf or 1 statue, either the single/tall Rudsta is better or the detolf.

To make a rather straightforward comparison, a common way to display a complete US G1 collection is in 4 Detolfs. You can do it with two double wide rudstas easily I think. The only thing missing is some kind of after market half-shelf. But I'm not sure how that would work exactly.

13. PurpleStuf

PurpleStuf Pastor of Muppets

News Credits:
    Are you not able to order what you need online and have it ship to a local Ikea for pickup? Just asking because I plan on getting a ton of Billys soon and my local Ikea also doesn't have them in stock.

14. Dpuff

Dpuff Aka buddy

News Credits:
    I dont believe they have a ship to store option

15. PurpleStuf

News Credits:
    Damn, I wish I would have known about these a couple weeks ago. I needed to display my Unicron and ended up ordering a goofy end table from Amazon.

upload_2021-6-23_9-15-59.png

• Like Like x 1
  16. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They were just released in the past few weeks. Still, if you can swing them somehow, I really recommend them.

By the way I would suggest taking off blast effects for display. They can mess with toy plastic and paint due to their chemistry. That includes Hot Rod's matrix energy .

17. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

I
    I have the exact combiners and Titans that you do. Except no unicron. Ship it here!

18. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

What do you mean?
    I have a lot of blast effects on the takara masterpieces.

19. PurpleStuf

News Credits:
    lol I never backed the kickstarter and just assumed I'd never get one either, but I got lucky and was able to buy it from another local collector and pick it up. I'd hate to think how much it would cost to ship and insure.

20. PurpleStuf

News Credits:
    Check out this thread here. Most of my blast effects are on non-painted surfaces, and I keep my house fairly cool with humidity control so it really hasn't been an issue for me. I've had those effects on Omega Supreme's arm for almost a year with no paint transfer.

• Like Like x 1