The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Professional Lawn Mower

News Credits:
    Neat!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shuggaroth

Shuggaroth Kahn, but Wings.

Ebay:
    20200701_113212.jpg
    This is the shelving that I made from wood, plexiglas, and PVC pipe
    20200701_113128.jpg
    These are Better Home and Garden from walmart that my wife got for me. I have rope lighting that I plan to install in the back of the boxes

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
  4. ArrowHead

ArrowHead Well-Known Member

So, I've been trying to decide on a display setup for years. I saw Bobby Skullface's most recent video with his Billy bookcases and Ikea lighting, and loved the look. The problem is, the Billy bookcases start at $80, and the lighting he uses runs $30+ per shelf. For a 5 shelf display, you're looking at around $250 per case, minimum.

I looked at detolfs, but again, to have the same amount of display space as a bookcase, you're looking at needing 2-3 detolfs. The cases alone will run almost $200 without lighting.

What I ultimately settled on is the "room essentials" bookcases I found at target.

5 Shelf Bookcase - Room Essentials™

These are normally 35 bucks a pop, but they're on sale right now for 25 each. Dirt cheap, stable, looks good, and easy to assemble.

For lighting, I went with these litever LED lights. A 6 pack with dimmer, cables, cable clips, and power supply is only 50 bucks. They provide plenty of light, to the point that I turn them down to around 30% when lit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L6W7HHE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Finally, you'll need to cover the lighting in the front to reduce glare. Ultimately I will be using some square pencil molding, but for now I found some 1" strips of black foam board I purchased at Target works perfectly, held in place with some hot glue. (Blue Tak will work fine as well.)

So total cost, for a full 5 shelf display with lighting on all shelves would run you around 65 bucks right now (75 when the sale on the bookcases ends).

Want extra shelves? With the Billy cases, you can buy additional shelves. No such luck with the room essentials cases, BUT, at 25 bucks a pop you can do what I did:. Buy an entire case, take out the 5 shelves and bag of hardware, and leave the rest in the dumpster at target. ;) 

Want to add more lights? Depending on how you wire it, you can add up to 8 lights on one power supply. They sell additional 2 packs of just the light bars for $12.

I am beyond happy with this current setup. I'm at 7 cases right now, with a total expense of less than $400 bucks. (7 cases @ 35, 2x 6 packs of lights @ 50, an additional 3 pack of lights, and maybe 4 bucks for the foam board). I plan on adding at least 2 more cases to the other side of the display.

Now for some pics! Bear in mind, these photos catch a glare from the lighting that you don't see in person. I'm no photographer. In person, it looks absolutely STUNNING. Also, please don't mind the boxes up on top of the shelves. It looks messy and terrible, I hate it, but it needed to be done to get the kitty to stop jumping up there and wreaking havoc on my shelves.

20200719_125443_HDR.jpg 20200719_125439_HDR.jpg

PS:. I'm really not sure if I put this in the right subforum. I apologise if it's the wrong spot. I found display posts here, in the how-to section, and a few others. I wasn't sure which would be best.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 16
  5. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Leader of the Scarlet empire

News Credits:
    It looks great.

@Dachande can you put this in the Non-Detolf display case thread?

6. ArrowHead

Thanks dude, I didn't know there was a subforum for non detolf displays. That would be awesome if it could be moved.

Another note, for the sharp-eyed among you: the 3 central cases are actually a different size than the other 4 cases. They just recently (in the last couple months) changed the design of these cases. They used to be 29" across, the new ones are 24-25". The new design is much better, as it fixes a few issues the old design had. The old design shelves would sag, the top of the cases were unfinished, the shelf pegs were less stable (shelf would just sit on the pegs, and could slide easily. New shelves have a groove where the peg sits for stability.). There's a few other tweaks, but I definitely prefer the new skinnier shelves to the old ones.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :thumb 

8. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Very slick setup my dude!

Always appreciate someone trying to create a really professional looking display on a tight budget. And this came out looking great!

Especially like the look of the narrower displays you have for your legends Bruticus and Spiderman actions figures. That's a really great size for the space you're working with.

Plus those lights you are using are a nice pure white. Might have to pick up a pack of those down the road once mine die out.

Well done, and welcome to the thread! :thumb 

9. ArrowHead

Thank you. I was frustrated at first when the newer ones were narrower, but I like that it allows me to break things up into smaller collections. Instead of one big action figure shelf, now I have the Yamaguchi stuff in one, and other stuff in its own shelf.

Once I add a few more cases on the other side, I'm going to make a diorama in the top central display where I can mix and match a few different highlighted figures that can be swapped out to keep things fresh and interesting. I'll also take care of neatening the wiring and fixing up all the trim.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I've already shown them in other threads, but count me in among the Besta club.

This was how I started after moving into my current apartment back in 2018.
    Collection_Room_WIP_2018-05-30.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-05-31_1.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-05-31_2.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-05-31_3.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-03_1.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-03_2.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-09.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-17.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-22.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-27_1.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-27_2.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-06-27_3.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-07-24.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-07-26.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-08-05.jpg Collection_Room_WIP_2018-08-18.jpg

I'm at maximum capacity with 13 cabinets in my collection room now.
    Collection_Room_2020_1.jpg Collection_Room_2020_2.jpg Collection_Room_2020_3.jpg Collection_Room_2020_4.jpg

The bottom third is large enough for a Titan Class figure standing upright with no trouble. These photos are recent:
    Besta.jpg Besta_Fort_Max.jpg Besta_Omega.jpg

Ikea discontinued both the specific color of the Besta cabinets and the model of the handles I use. Fortunately, there are similar successor versions (a slightly different color for the cabinets, and the Billsbro handle) which I used when I started to continue in my living room, where I'm currently at three cabinets. This photo was taken before I completed the third one.
    Living_Room_2020_1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 14
  11. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That set-up looks great @ArrowHead - love the lighting and the figures pop against the darker shelves.

New house move soon so I can finally set up the display I want. Currently looking at Besta's - a shame we can't get the same wood effect as yours above @Nevermore but the light oak ones in the UK look very tempting.

• Like Like x 3
  12. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Well-Known Member

Hey just a heads up man, the Expedit/Kallax shelves do not take well to paint unless you meticulously degrease them and use a plastic specific primer. I believe there's a section on IKEA hackers on how to paint them but really, for all the effort you could toss that cabinet on the FB Marketplace/Craigslist and just buy a white one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dutchy79

Dutchy79 Well-Known Member

That is true I am going the easy way and just get the white bookcases

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    Recently got the man cave going and went with Ikea Kallax units.

03F85FBC-B02F-4491-A5AA-C5370FEBCC42.jpeg
    8D2F1008-4CCF-4A14-9E4E-3134A7FC8FCE.jpeg
    2D78AAC8-00E4-4F9B-B692-639FAFA32A0D.jpeg

Just need to get some glass doors and lightings as I get my displays where I need them to be.

• Like Like x 5
  15. ziltama

ziltama Lurks, mods, molds, and casts

News Credits:
    Camera had a hard time focusing. NECA Street Scene Diorama.
    necastreet.jpg

• Like Like x 3