The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

Here's my Ikea Expedit-hack entertainment center / display shelf. It was assembled from a 1x5 unit, a 2x4 unit with some pieces removed and shuffled around, a bunch of brackets, dowels, drilling, and profanity. Elevated it slightly off the carpet by using metal screw-in doorstops as legs, and ran LED strip lighting along the back of the central beam to give it a subtle backlighting effect. Expedits are discontinued at this point, but one could likely cobble together something similar using the replacement Kallax shelving.

Only three robots on it at the moment (Masterpiece Soundwave's hidden down bottom, blocked by the coffee table), but I try to keep the living room fairly uncluttered, as toys everywhere would likely cause the Mrs. to eventually murder me. Being dead would make future collecting rather difficult.

Super fun project, and gave us the confidence to try more complicated stuff, like our dining room table built out of piping and reclaimed lumber.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Autobreadticon

Autobreadticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use to have detolf shelves but there are limitations, Im all for encouraging alternatives

ex-retail glass display cabinet and an IKEA expedit shelf with glass shelf inserts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed the detolf cases look too crammed, especially with MP's in them...These displays look awesome.

4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Alright but it's not a pretty as everyone's. I keep it mainly for protecting my BTs/Alts. :D  You'll notice that I have another but smaller aquarium in there as well.

[​IMG]

The other thing I do like about it is that it serves another purpose. It gives me a place where I can change the main display with a large area.

Here's one I made of my Devastators.

[​IMG]

This keeps changing of course as I go. Now it has Metroplex with tiny devastator along with 3D puzzles.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Raiju

Raiju Go For Broke Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Aside from lighting, I figure things like backdrops/backgrounds and clear acrylic risers would also benefit many a display:

ToyHax Stages for Transformers

SmallJoes Display Cases and Risers (geared more toward GI Joes but can work for Transformers and other figures)

Both can be pricey but I'm considering the full gamut of upgrades to minimize the "sea of plastic crack" look of a cramped shelf and while I do liking the mirror backing of my cabinets, it can compound the former and make a shelf appear even more distracting to the eye.

Any other suggestions would be most welcomed!

6. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks Sam, will be sure to do so.

I've seen photos of your displays before, but they never fail to impress. :thumb 

7. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

I've shown this off before in other threads, fish tanks stacked on top of each other. I'm eager to get some Toyhax backdrops.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    so just measured it up its 62 inches wide so can take my double detolf apart and use the glass panels as shelves as they are 61 and half inches also got spare glass panels on my balcony left over from making the double detolf which saves me alot in glass :lol 

going to 100% do this within the next couple of months actually getting excited at the thought of building it :D 

9. olevelo

olevelo Well-Known Member

That looks great, but must be impossible to change the displays!

I have 55 gallon tank in my garage I thought about using but since it used to be used for fish would need some overhaul!

10. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

In addition to a double detolf and a single, I have four curios and two others that I used four detolfs that were ruined in a basement flood and rebuilt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the triple Detolf mod, but it looks like the top is starting to bow. That'd scare the hell out of me; what with all the talk about how Detolfs randomly explode sometimes.

12. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

Not impossible, but very time consuming. It used to be just two 20 gallon long tanks but I recently switched them out for two 29 gallon tanks and put one of the 20 gallon long tanks at the top.

13. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I need to loosen the bolts holding the upright supports a bit. They're a little too tight, causing a slight bow. I have a piece of glass in the middle on the front along with the three in the back so I don't think there's any danger of it breaking. I've taken it apart, moved it several times without issue. Just have it a bit too tight because I can't get the doors on right now. I've only had these two finished for about a month now, was planning on finishing the doors in a couple weeks when I'm on vacation.

14. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I love this thread. I have two curios and am looking to get another wide one to do more "action" displays. Lots of great ideas guys, thanks!

15. TylerB

TylerB Well-Known Member

I'm loving this thread so far. I've got two Detolfs right now and I've contemplating getting a third to mod to a triple wide, but I've also been thinking of trying to make a custom case. iDarkDesign I really like your case, do you have any building progress pics?

16. levyshahar

levyshahar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My new display:

[​IMG]

17. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I do. Quite boring stuff.

Design in Sketchup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also; I went to admire a friends display. I think this is the best display out there right now:

[​IMG]

iDD

• Like Like x 9
  18. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Holy. Crap.
    Can I come over and just stare? I will bring beer.

Nicely done.

19. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome!

I'll end up doing this as well when I move into a new house a few years from now. The Detolf's are nice for the MP's but I need something for all the rest of the figures and busts.

20. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    as my recent posts going i'm to build something in an alcove , i'm going with a couple of clear acrylic perspex sheets for my sliding doors , cheaper and not so heavy , spent last night sketching , planning , measuring and looking at prices :lol  61" long shelves are going to be epic , lighting i think i am going for led strips