The Not-Detolf Display Cases Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sam, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I know how popular Ikea's Detolf display cases are on this board - and rightly so. They're affordable and well-designed.

However I thought it would be nice to have a thread for people to show off their other display cases/shelves, sort of a compilation of alternatives to the Detolf for those looking for something a bit different.

I started off with Ikea's Ekby Mossby stainless steel shelves. I added lines in black marker to imitate the Iacon background from the first episode.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was looking for a set of shelves where I could tell stories:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, as fun as they were I really wanted a closed-display where I could keep the dusts off these guys. So I then opted for another Ikea shelf, this time the Fabrikor. A little pricey, but I just love the design.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus it's still big enough to set up little stories on each shelf.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to see what other alternatives you guys have found to the legendary Detolf!

• Like Like x 15
  2. olevelo

olevelo Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to seeing what else folks have to show. The detolf is just way too narrow for what I want. Happy to see the fabrikor example! That one is definitely in my consideration list. I'd really like to see the nornas (NORNĂ„S Glass-door cabinet with 2 doors - - IKEA). Driving down to LA to go to IKEA is such a pain, trying to find some other reasons to go down there so I can pick one up!

3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I have an aquarium repurposed as my BT/Alt garage. It's UV resistant.

4. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Would love to see photos please - that's what this thread is all about!

5. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice thread!

I enjoy seeing everyone's detolf displays, but they aren't for me. I don't really like how cluttered they look once you have more than two. They also waste quite a bit space between shelves (for TF's at least). But....sounds like I'm knocking them...oops

I used to have 1 tall and 1 medium walmart white bookshelves. They were cheap and okay for the time. Now I have 2 ikea Hemnes book cases. They look really nice and provide more width and depth to each shelf. I like the white simply because I've done black furniture for so long I'm just burnt out on it and white just lets me see the figures better and looks 'cleaner' to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Raiju

Raiju Stormborn Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good thread subject! As neat as Detolfs look, I also agree that they're way too small for my display needs (plus I tend to move around often due to my line of work so I prefer wood+glass for something sturdier that can survive rougher handling during moves).

New glass curio display cabinets for my Classics and Masterpiece collections:

[​IMG]

Still a work in progress but it's coming along! The photos below are kinda old as I just bought three of these display cabinets (as pictured above): Curio Cabinet by Pulaski (had a 10% discount code and bought them on a sales day for even more savings). They're currently housing my main Masterpiece and Classics display (almost finished moving and setting up everything in there :D ).

Formerly my main display cabinet (with sliding glass door and a layer of brush material between the door jamb to keep out dust - Keepsakes Curio Cabinet by Pulaski - I moved my Bayverse and Prime/Beast Hunters collection into the spare bedroom and put them in the bigger sliding door curio cabinet but it's still a work in progress):

[​IMG]

My place also has some built-in wooden shelves over the computer desk recessed into the wall. Not exactly something you can get at retail but I did go to Home Depot to cut and put together some additional custom wooden shelves sized for it.

Revoltechs and Combiners (old).

[​IMG]

Masterpiece display (old).

[​IMG]

Bayverse display (old).

[​IMG]

Metal Gear Solid display (current; hey, how'd these sneak in here? :D )

[​IMG]

Also bought two of these smaller cabinets (Keepsakes Frame Curio Cabinet by Pulaski) to frame the larger one:

Seekers (old).

[​IMG]

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...346-timesynchs-collection-2.html#post11807142

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...346-timesynchs-collection-2.html#post11813720

Finally I have some bookshelves (Tribecca Leaning Wall 76" Bookcase by American Drew) for my Prime displays:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The man cave is nearing completion but there's still some work left to do! I'm glad I invested in more curio cabinets as my collection has become much cleaner and organized than these old photos let on.

• Like Like x 8
  7. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    I always love looking at other collector's displays! great thread. I have grown out of just about any thinkable glass display and a couple of years ago I spent my entire TF budget on a really nice great classic case including lights for my mancave.

[​IMG]

I designed it myself and had help setting the glass.

The simplest and most display space can be gotten by getting just the sliding doors and have it take up an entire wall. Use a shelving system for shelves.

I can't stress enough how big a difference some good lighting in your cabinets make.

iDD

• Like Like x 12
  8. Raiju

News Credits:

Sweet poses and displays, man! Really liking those metal shelves (very different from most other shelves I've seen), and the enclosed glass cabinets are pretty classy too.

White does look pretty clean and helps the toys stand out on their own. Your displays are nicely organized and uncluttered too. I think my own shelves are way too crammed with figures (a con of having "gotta-catch-'em-all-disease", I'm afraid :D ) by comparison, lol. I did opt to put most of my collection behind glass since cleaning up dust and dog hair was driving me mad.

Very cool custom set up, man! Liking the wrap around effect with the corner of the room very much. Which reminds me that I oughta rig up additional LED lights on my shelves since the halogen lamps at the top of my cabinets aren't cutting it for me.

9. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Jaw-dropping stuff, guys!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sixo

Sixo Canonical

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Great thread! I'm just popping in for now to say how awesome all of your set-ups and displays are - very inspiring! I'll be sure to have something of my own to contribute soon... I have something in motion, so will report back when complete.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Great displays guys! Wow some of them are really massive, it's damn impressive.

Sixo, by all means please post updates/work-in-progress shots.

That goes for anyone who's in the middle of setting up their display. Love seeing new ideas!

12. Raiju

News Credits:
    The guest bedroom where I moved my old curio cabinets now housing my Movieverse and Prime/Beast Hunter collections:

[​IMG]

The whole front of the larger central cabinet slides to the left or right, which I think is pretty cool. Keeps out dust and other stuff very well too. The smaller side cabinets flanking the bigger case house the Bayverse Bots (to the left) and the Cons (to the right; Sentinel Prime is with the Cons :D ).

Still a bit of a mess but it's getting there. Not quite done porting everything over (I have quite a few MISB figures to open too that are currently littering the bed :) ).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's an older picture of my Besta units. I really like the modern look they give to my collection room.

[​IMG]

I also have this little light box which is pretty cool, as well as a shadow box for my Lego Minifigs and baseball bat display case for my Zelda stuff. They all kind of add to the modern look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  14. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I usually hate bookshelf displays because folks cram 30 figures onto one shelf (and it looks like shit, imo), but you've really pulled it off. Love how clean everything looks.

Also love the focus on quality, not quantity. It's what I'm striving for as well these days.

15. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    superb thread

those besta units look awesome

16. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I now have 4 tall cases instead of 3 and have rearranged them (2 on each side wall), but you get the idea.

• Like Like x 11
  17. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Great thread. I've been to IKEA plenty of times but could never pull the trigger on a detolf. It's too small and looks very cluttered once you put a few MP's in there. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread for other options.

18. pyrotechnic

pyrotechnic Junkion

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Here is my shelves from Wal-mart think it was $20 or less and just put it on top of my dresser.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    got 2 alcoves in my living room one has my decks , records and monitors filling it and the other has my dining table and chairs, thinking of building something to fill the side with the table for my figures with glass shelves , glass sliding doors and lights the table can go where my current display cases are, looking at it the idea makes total sense , would have so much more room for my figures

fits an expedit on its side with loads of room to spare and the depth is deeper than an expedit

20. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I never knew MP Star Sabre was that MASSIVE.