The Non-Traditional Pet Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scorponok, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Scorponok

Scorponok Kindness is no virtue and cruelty is no vice

Since there is a cat and a dog appreciation thread, I decided to make one dedicated to non-traditional pets.

No matter what type of unique animal you may have, show your love by posting their pics here.

Here are mine:
    This is Razorclaw: an Asian Forest Scorpion. He’s relatively friendly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His buddy Rampage. She is the same type but has a slight temper. When she’s relaxed, she very easy going and enjoys being held.
    [​IMG]

My favorite little guy, an Arizona Desert Hairy, named Scorponok. Unlike the character he was named after, he’s extremely docile and very sweet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Initially, I started with Scorponok but soon became enamored with these beautiful animals. I kept the theme of TF names along the way.

Despite what some may believe, scorpions are actually shy animals. They prefer to attack only as a last resort. Few are actually dangerous and most (like mine) have very mild venom. And no, I’ve never been stung or pinched.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i LOVE them. scorponok is adorable.

honestly, considering every iteration of scorponok is totally different design-wise, even compared to most characters, you could get away with naming every one of them scorponok.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mister Gribsby

Mister Gribsby QT- series automaton

Those scorpions are gorgeous and named well. What is it like owning a buthid scorpion such as Scorponok?
    I do not have ready pictures, but I keep a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach. He is named Jerry, for he is missing a piece of an antenna.
    May the Non-Traditional Pet Thread succeed. [He hastens to the kitchen to make a toast with his cup of water]

4. Scorponok

A hissing cockroach, how interesting! I’ve always been intrigued by it simply because it hisses. Sometimes, my Asian Forests hiss when they feel threatened by my bigger pets.

The Arizona desert hairy is actually an aggressive type but Scorponok has always been mild mannered. He also burrows so it’s funny watching his little legs move rapidly to dig. He will build tall mounds of sand to his liking.

It’s fascinating watching any of them catch their prey since it must be live crickets. They won’t eat anything dead. They have to soften their food with their venom since they can’t chew. It can take an hour or more to eat.

5. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

OMG! How did you tame them?!

But they look so cool! Your Scorpion's look adorable, and huggable!

6. Mister Gribsby

The hissing truly is interesting. Another upside is the fact that the climate up here in Eagle River precludes any potential fugitive cockroaches from propagating, not that I have any real intention of keeping or losing a bunch of cockroaches.

I used to have an Emperor Scorpion. I kept him right by the head of my bed so that I could watch him eat and move about. While my family hated hearing my doomed crickets, I could not help being intrigued by the entire process. I hope to get a scorpion again one day. It would depend on PetCo's selection, but do you have a particular recommendation?

7. Scorponok

If you can't find any in stores, there are places online which sell a variety of scorpions. Emperors are the most docile followed by Asian Forests, & the African Flat Rock. The Arizona Bark/Desert Hairy are more aggressive but they're so active.

While you can't tame scorpions, if you're relaxed when handling they will be at ease. They can sense any anxiety/muscle tension so I wouldn't recommend it unless you're comfortable around them.

• Like Like x 2
  8. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of my cousins has a couple of cougars at his place.

9. Eman7673

Eman7673 The Machine

Dogs and cats are cool (more of a cat person myself) but I prefer low maintenance pets just because they're much easier to take care of. I have a small freshwater tank and I've had several crayfish over the years, I've always been a fan of crustaceans and they're very hardy animals so they are my pet of choice. My favorite one I've ever had was a white male ghost cray, his name was Magnus, after my favorite Autobot. I had him for two years and he was awesome, just awesome. He died two and a half years ago and even though he wasn't a "traditional" pet that you can cuddle up on the couch with or take for walks his death hit me really hard, he was the first pet of mine that I picked out myself and watched him grow from a little cray to an adult. I'll always miss him. Screenshot_20190224-165951_Gallery.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  10. Galvatross

Galvatross Put down the kool-aid Veteran

I don't have pictures, but I have had an African pygmy hedgehog, Hong Kong warty newt, fire-belly toad, and Madagascar hissing cockroach in the past.

• Like Like x 4
  11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I had a horse silverbolt. I gave him to a friend when I moved out of my parents house. He was the best boy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mister Gribsby

It is with sorrow that I report that Jerry has died. The cause of death is unknown; however, I can assure those reading that a drug overdose did not claim Jerry like his namesake.
    The change of avatar was coincidental but oddly fitting.

13. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Reddit mod rank achieved

News Credits:
    badroaches_303.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

Oh no, a little a Yetti die? :( 

15. Mister Gribsby

These are from a few months ago, but here are pictures of my aforementioned Madagascar Hissing Cockroach.
    A small note; no, the sand is not very good for their feet. It causes their feet to dry up and dulls their claws to where the can not grip things. These cockroaches are designed with forests in mind. I was working with what I had on hand last Breakup. (The spring-like season that is wedged between winter and summer. I did no breaking up in the romantic sense, for those who find Alaskan terminology alien.)
    20180415_011406.jpg 20180414_230847.jpg 20180414_230835.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    Do fish count as non-traditional pets?

Blue.jpg

20 Gallon.jpg

Pepper.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. galvatran

galvatran Well-Known Member