The New Marvel Legends thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DevilzFan, Feb 10, 2006.

1. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I really like my Infinity War Wanda, so I probably will skip this. Moderately tempted to dig out my Select Strange and pick up the Select Wanda to go with.

2. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The man in black
    D809B3EF-7E47-46CF-B37F-CB5507F87D6C.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier. They know they can rope-a-dope plenty of people into buying junk waves with a big A-lister as the baf. Don't get me wrong... I enjoy Marvel Legends I just don't like the baf system and I particularly hate it in instances like the Kingpin wave when it's basically a wave of C/D list characters at best combined with obscure/unpopular versions of A list characters. That's not to say that those characters don't deserve figures, but honestly, we shouldn't be getting entire waves like that. Though without the baf they'd have to spread them out more.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup. Everyone of those came from a US comic book store back in the day. They were some of the earliest trades (though I don’t think that term was used yet). They each collected a certain number of the old Marvel Universe Handbook comics that had come out years prior.

EDIT: actually, now that I think harder about it two of them actually came from a Waldenbooks in North Carolina, like four years after they stopped being published. It was the most random thing. (remember Waldenbooks? Pepperidge Farm remembers)

I had one issue of DC’s Who’s Who. It got my attention from its spot on a gas station spinner rack because it included the Star Trek crew. From back when DC held that license,

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  5. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Yeah, like the Joe Fixit wave that forces you to buy three filler figures: "Gamer Verse" retooled versions of Captain America and blue steel Iron Man and Thunderstrike. Those figures and their accessories went right into the Sterlite bin after I assembled the BAF. If it wasn't for Mr. Fixit being the BAF (and the $14.99 sale at Target), I would have only purchased Falcon and Kang.

I suppose we should be thankful that there are no more Hit Monkey mini BAF's.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    That’s my plan as well. Although this one still looks pretty great in its own right

• Like Like x 1
  7. Megasonictron

Megasonictron Well-Known Member

I actually like bafs. There’s something rewarding to me about buying all the figures To build another and putting the pieces together

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For me, if they were do more themed waves where the BAF and everyone you have to get to make it had a strong connection. Like the House of X wave, where everything in the wave was from a specific run in comics.

• Like Like x 3
  9. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

Or like the Eternals wave, which I can skip entirely... ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bandit

Bandit Well-Known Member

For both reasons, yes! I’d love the see themed waves from key MU storylines. Can you imagine 3 Fall of the Mutants waves with each featuring either X-men, X-Factor, or New Mutants? You could pick up so many great figures from just those 9 issues!

Then, tackle the Mutant Massacre to give us an X-Factor Angel, Morlocks, Marauders, etc. Then Inferno - Goblyn Queen, Child Illyana, Darkchilde.

The Avengers storyline where the Masters of Evil take over the mansion.

Armor Wars

• Like Like x 4
  11. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    I agree, but my wallet does not. :p :confused: 

I drew the line with Wendigo. I'm not sure if I'll ever complete another BAF/buy an entire wave again unless it's a near home-run like Apocalypse, where I wanted like ~5 or 6 out of the 7 figures.

Most waves I've just been wanting 1 or 2 figures.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Speaking of BAFs, I swear the concept was taken from an episode of MST3K. My wife was watching the Pluto channel of it and one episode had the two doctors showing off their new action figure merchandise where you buy the pieces to a figure individually for $8 a piece. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Megasonictron

Usually I just buy the whole wave and try to sell or trade the ones I don’t

• Like Like x 1
  14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Unfortunately when I used to do that there were characters that I couldn't even give away for $5 plus free shipping on eBay.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Megasonictron

Oh yeah selling singles is a pain.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Apeface

Apeface cares not for gophers

Came across a full case of the House of X wave at my local Walmart. Was very close to grabbing them all, but ultimately just grabbed Wolverine and Omega Sentinel. I’ll grab Cyclops somewhere down the road, but this wave doesn’t really wow me. I like Wolverine’s new look so he was a given, despite already having several versions of him. I have no connection to Omega Sentinel, I just really like her design. If the BAF were a better choice, I’d have jumped on them all.
    X-men will be a tough sell for me as I have my favorite characters in their preferred looks already. Where’s my Gold Balls figure already?

17. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

I have 3 stiltman leg sets and left arm hand and gun from Frogman + right and left Joe Fixit arms BAF parts. PM interested.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait? What? That Punisher custom is so cool! Did he appear like that in the comics?!

Nice! I almost bought FS but I don’t like her collar...I don’t recall her having one in the toon either?

Yeah, excellent points on Mar-vell. Its funny my kids also found the figure plain and were asking me on his abilities...which they said, that characters like the Silver Surfer or Cosmic GR could do but maybe better? LOL!

Agreed on the joints too. One thing I noticed is the left arm joint that connects to the body seems to be sagging...and doesn’t sit flush with the shoulders like the right arm.

With regards to the Punisher...I know right? Some of my friends found Ennis’ run so-so but I felt it was decent...

Oh man...you are so spot on! I can’t even give these for free in my country! I even tried giving them to my nephews but after playing for awhile, they just lost interest and didn’t take them home.

I don’t mind B listers but Hasbro should pack so much C & D listers...maybe 2 per set? Sigh...

• Like Like x 2
  19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Got Hand Ninja. This can pull double duty as a GI Joe Red Ninja. I’d like multipacks of this for customs. Over 10 years ago, Hasbro made a 2 pack of a Hand Ninja VS Nick Fury or SHIELD agent. This mold isn’t as detailed due to being a simpler/different costume, but it moves so much better than the old Legends mold. There was a white variant that came with Dum Dum Dugan, hopefully we see a white version of this down the line too. That can double as a 6” Storm Shadow(close to the 2011 30th anniversary look) just needs a Cobra symbol. Could be wrong but I think the guy that sculpted Articulated Icons may have sculpted this. Wish the sword wasn’t made from PVC.

Also got HoX Magneto. The eyes look weird. May have been better if the area near the eyes and nose was weathered or inkwashed with black paint and the eyes painted white to mimic the way it’s drawn in the comics at times. Why? Even though some of the HoX artists drew Magneto with pupils in the books, this figure looks like he just woke up or is as peaceful as Xavier was in the cartoon. The “U” crest in his helmet looks like it’s a separate piece which is neat. This seems like this uses the 2018 Prowler/Magneto mold. Was that the same mold used in the Amazon 3 pack? Good for consistency but the lower knee range is too limited for my liking(breaks just barely 90 degrees altogether). The 2014 Magneto from TRU with the y-hips bas better knee range(that figure tends to be imposing and easier to move, for some reason it’s 1 of the only y-hip Legends I like).

The scribing on the sides of the upper legs and torso of Magneto’s HoX costume is missing in this figure, not even painted on. Wish that bit of retooling would’ve been done along with a subtle ink wash. The way the belt is attached works well with the waist articulation as the range isn’t very limited.

Also, does the new Spider Gwen have less knee range compared to the 2015 one? The new one has pinless knees and I’m wondering if they’re as limited as the pinless knees from the Storm from the 2 pack at Target last year.

• Like Like x 3
  20. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    I've never liked BAF for anything.
    It's always been a BS marketing gimmick to get you to buy stuff you don't want.
    I bought a pile of McF toys last year to complete one BAF (the only figure i wanted) 4 months on im still chasing the final part, despite pre-ordering the ENTIRE wave just to get the stupid BAF complete and not be chasing parts.

So what happened?
    The place I ordered took too many orders, could not fulfill them all, and even though I had pre-ordered did not get one. It's been 3-4 months and they never got a restock (despite saying they would each time I asked) so finally had to order elsewhere to but the final figure i don't want (and wont be able to resell) at above RRP on the secondary market.

So annoying when it was just one figure I needed to finish my dark nights / metal batman figures, and I had to buy a pile of ones i did not want to get it, that are impossible to resell as literally nobody wanted anything from that wave except the BAF. All the other figures were single releases, and they've done bigger figures as stand alone so it just felt like absolute crap making 1 of the 7 figures a BAF.

I don't mind so much if its a popular wave and maybe I can get even half of my money back (because nobody will pay full price a new figure in package once that BAF piece is removed) that it's not such a $%^# in the ass.
    When you add on that in OZ we pay silly silly prices to start with, then add on taxes and shipping too - yeah you can easily spend say $300 just trying to get one stupid BAF then be stuck with a pile of crap you don't want.
    For that kind of money I could buy something actually good quality from say 3A or whatever.

• Like Like x 2