The New Marvel Legends thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DevilzFan, Feb 10, 2006.

1. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

People constantly complain about the secondary cost of Rogue, but where were these people when there were mountains of her collecting dust and being put on clearance? Are there that many "new" collectors that just came into the line in the last 24 months? Aside from the mythical new people, my sympathy is pretty limited.

"Oh, but I never saw her in my area!" Boo hoo. If collectors couldn't be bothered to pick her up from amazon at $11 when we were all posting about them being practically given away, I can't be bothered to feel sorry for them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    You have to understand that unlike me who collects the entire line without missing a single release, most people pick and choose. And yes, it is frustrating that people don't have the foresight to see what could be coming next (for me it was obvious). I mean, a lot of people skipped Rouge thinking either that they'd never do all the X-Men (which has been proven false) or that they knew another Rouge would be coming out eventually (which is a very real possibility and probably what will happen; though she'll be in a 2-pack most likely). However some people did jump in late and others had other hobbies they were focused on at the time. But discounting them, I agree that it's annoying to see people lamenting something they could have easily gotten and even had every opportunity to get. I missed a few things that way early on in collecting but I learned from my mistake. As long as they do too, there will be no problem.

For those who honestly missed her for whatever reason, sorry I didn't think to buy a bunch. I was solely collecting for myself at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DF1BFC6B-BC52-4AE5-9EE0-E4A60459A8C3.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Chill, dude. This isn’t the highest priority for many of us, I can’t just pick up every figure I’m interested in at once on the possibility of it going up in value. I was able to snag a Rogue when she was $12 on Amazon but I missed out on Kitty who, while not as high as Rogue, has gone up a bit in secondary prices. Stuff slips through sometimes.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Hellbot

Hellbot Well-Known Member

I would like to have Rogue but I had no plans of going far with a ML collection when I started. I think my first set was GotG Vol. 2 with no plans of going beyond that at the time, but then the Apocalypse wave was announced. I quickly found myself trying to pick up whatever character I could find at the time to fill the roster. I managed to secure everyone at or around retail, but sadly Rogue was never among them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Just get what you want to get when you can. If you miss something, just wait for a new and/or better one to come. I personally wouldn’t pay anything over msrp for just about anything. I think I’ve paid slightly over a few times when I had some sort of promotion or points to offset the premium.

• Like Like x 3
  7. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 Spoon!

News Credits:
    I started collecting Marvel Legends 12 months ago, modestly and like a noob.

I was already ecstatic to get Death's Head II and Darkhawk for like $10 each and Ghost Rider with bike for $25 at the time. :D 

Rogue was already like 60 bucks and Cyclops was 40 if I recall. o_O 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Scourgatron

Scourgatron Heavy Metal Flamewar

News Credits:
    Rogue was $25 when I started. We all thought that was outrageous because, she was a pegwarmer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rogue and Jim Lee Cyke I got for retail price on amazon a few years ago. Something told me to buy them and I’m glad I did.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Well in all fairness, Disney buying out Fox changed the game. People couldn't have known how X-Men heavy(especially 90s) Hasbro would get in the last two to three years during and after that. Add to that how few and far between X-Men ML releases before that were(especially Jim Lee figs) and I'd wager a fair amount of people considered X-Men MLs low priority. Or maybe even passed because they felt like "What's the point?" when the line mainly catered to MCU and Avengers fans.

11. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I don't buy that at all as a legitimate excuse. If they weren't fans enough of the character to make her a priority at $11, then it's tough to care that the figure is no longer available. "I'm mad I didn't buy a figure I had no interest in while it was half-price!" is a clearly insane statement.

But given how Hasbro seems intent on making up for lost time with the X-men, I can't imagine we'll go another 12 months without another Rogue figure, preferably a black & green deco with big 80's hair. So all those people will have another shot, and I'm sure the previous version will become more easily availble when a better 80's deco gets released. I know I might sell a couple of yellow ones when that happens.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She was?

Out of the entire wave she was the one I never saw in stores.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Admittedly, the waterfall of X-Men figures was surprising but considering they were releasing X-Men periodically, it was fairly obvious to me they'd get to completing them eventually. I mean, the moment that an X-Men wave wasn't an exclusive was the moment I knew for sure. I guess I'm just an optimist who happened to be right for once.

I understand the feeling but not that many people fall into that category. When I made a comment about it a while ago, I checked and realized it was only really 3 people who complained about it but they did it so consistently that it seemed like there was a thousand. If they missed it, they can either pay more for it, wait for the price to go down, or just skip it.

Agreed. They'll get another shot and it might be a version of the character they might prefer more than what we already got.

Here in southern California, I couldn't get away from her. She was the ONLY one on shelves for a while. And yet you've seen things in your area I doubt I'll ever see here.

14. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    758EA94F-7242-4F9D-B825-CC78622714CC.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's funny how distribution works in different areas.

I don't even collect Marvel Legends (other than a couple Hulks), but I always look when I'm out anyway. I'm definitely pissed that I didn't pick up the couple of Storms I saw a couple of weeks ago though, as I could've used her to trade for the SDCC Hulk that I missed out on at Hasbro Pulse even though I was online at noon both days to try to get him.

16. Hellbot

Hellbot Well-Known Member

This. It's not that I passed. I never saw her.

17. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Damn. I would have traded you a SDCC Hulk for two Storms. Oh well, it happens. Heck, I bought only one Silver Surfer thinking he'd be plentiful and no one else would want him. Boy was I wrong!

18. Dao

Dao Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    IMG_20190915_114044.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  19. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Total haul after visiting two Wal-Marts in my area. The nephews are going to have a good Christmas, I've got some additions to my X-ranks, and some custom fodder as well. Not too shabby!
    Screenshot_2019-09-15-15-06-32-1.png

• Like Like x 5
  20. LarELar

LarELar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started collecting these figures when the BP movie came out (just prior to all the hype/hysteria taking over) and deciding I wanted to support certain accompanying merchandise I felt would be looked at when the ‘powers that be’ would be considering whether to make similar types of movies in the future. Since that timeframe was February 2018, that puts me in your w/in 24-month bracket of ‘mythical people.’ And as you’re probably aware, that movie generated waaay more money in ticket sales & merchandise than initially anticipated, so I don’t think I was alone with the mindset of supporting that brand, and probably wasn’t alone with the ML being the line of choice. (Myth-busted yet? ;) )

As for the price point (hey look, an unintended double entendre:cool: ), seeing them in a target was also one of my first experiences using their app and finding it scan there for a lower price than listed & scanning in store, so the clerk in electronics went and price matched the figures for me. Later that day I went to 5below, just curious to see what other merchandise they might be making for kids & I noticed Dr strange ML figures for $5, along with Wonder Woman and suicide squads C&C figures for $5 [[look what I found: Official Sales, Deals, and Coupons Thread]]

Not long later I saw the entire GotG vol 2 set in 5below and other DC and black series Star Wars figures in that 6” scale for that $5 price point). So, I was perhaps spoiled with low prices on these figures already, and was picking up figures I cared very little for, but the relatively low price & BAF were incentives for me making the purchases. When looking for figures I did have more of an interest in, like Spider-Man & X-men from the early 90s, I saw prices higher than I thought they were worth, so just shrugged them off... but then subsequent ‘current’ releases were in those lines, on a number of occasions with better aesthetics (to my eye). So while I didn’t complain about their expensive aftermarket prices for older figures (or even know about their $11 clearance prices), I was initially pleased with my luck in finding the recently released lines of marvel 2-packs, retro and 80th figures... but can I now complain with not having similar luck with finding the Walmart clearancing of retros for $11 & 80ths for ~40% off? :p