The New Marvel Legends thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by DevilzFan, Feb 10, 2006.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I got to talking with a shop employee the other day and he said Diamond switching to UPS or FedEx was a real source of problems for them. Diamond used to have their own, or a contracted, delivery fleet and the same driver serviced the shop for long periods of time. If something arrived damaged or was missing, they wrote it up on the spot, and a replacement came on the following truck. If the driver was running late or snowed in, he actually called the shop to let them know.

Well, when they went to UPS or Fed Ex, that all changed. They get a different guy every time and he shows up (or doesn't) basically whenever. When something's wrong with the order (which is far more frequent now), there's a mountain of forms to fill out and a several week waiting period for refunds/credits because now the driver is like another layer of indirection.

2. Drangleic

Drangleic Ulfhednar

Ebay:
    Not going to argue over a head as badass as that but, why a skull with an octopus inside it? Is that really a thing in the comics?

It's cool (really cool!) but just not what I've ever expected under the fish-bowl. This is news to me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  3. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Yeah I mean my first thought was since they moved the aisles around they were all in the back, they weren't, I don't know of my Walmart having a clearance section for toys either. They're just gone, like poof no more Marvel Legends here.

4. SuperGrimlock

SuperGrimlock Cybertron Driver License

Wow, I was not expecting that under the fish bowl. I'm curious where that is based off as well.

5. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to my WM. They had a few BP's and Thor figures sitting on the shelf below, but the ML pegs (as well as 75% of all toy isle shelf space) were completely bare. I'm used to not finding anything new, but I'm not used to not finding ANYTHING. Bizarro indeed.

6. Spartan0996

Spartan0996 Well-Known Member

I know I've seen a skull through his helmet in books before, not sure about the octopus. I think they're just going for Mysterio doing like a spooky illusion thing since one of his leg accessories also has a bigger tentacle coming out of the smoke.

7. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sylent

Sylent Haslab Unicron: 8,000+ backers - 0 days remaining

I went to WM this morning and they had one each of the BP wave and a few Spidey Homecoming figures, but all the old stuff that normally clogs the pegs were gone without a trace. Seemed kind of odd. Maybe they moved it to the clearance section. I didn't bother looking because I wouldn't have bought that stuff anyway... unless it was like $5 each.

9. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NEEEEED!

This wave can't show up soon enough.

10. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    That reminds me, I gotta pick up Gladiator Thor.

Also, are we not expecting Invincible Iron Man to become hard to find? Rather shocked that Moon Knight was subject to that. Glad I got him when I did.

11. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Skull + octopus= Hydra! Holy F$@k Knuckles Mysterio is a Hydra agent...no I'm kidding or am I.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

My first thought as well.:D 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Must...resist...urge...to...make...tentacle anime joke!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Well the wave does come with Gwenpool.

• Like Like x 1
  15. convoy84

News Credits:
    And somewhere in the realm of 3 hours later, I have an Iron Man. Go me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Got my new Wal-Mart Black Panther yesterday. I have to say it's a great figure. Paint apps are surprisingly clean on the glowing lines and they didn't attempt the after glow over spray nonsense with this figure that ruined Big Time Spider-Man. He comes with interchangable clawed hands and fists that both have the glow pattern on the back of his hands. He comes with the flame effects we've seen multiple times at this point, but in the color of the vibranium glow and... these are probably my favorite of the flame effects because the color just makes them pop. Matter of fact... that's one of the things I really like about this figure... the paint job and the color of violet chosen just make this guy pop on a shelf sooooo much more than the previous Wal-Mart exclusive Panther. Speaking of the previous exclusive... this one's bigger too. The Classic Panther WM exclusive was on the Bucky Cap body (like 90% of the line nowadays), but this new WM Black Panther seems to be on the mid-sized male body that's between the Bucky Cap body and the Sentry/Hyperion body. Also, mine at least doesn't appear to have the shoulder clearance problems that Wonder Man and Grim Reaper are known for. Finally, and this is the part that makes me like this figure the most, is the new head sculpt... you can't see in pictures so much, but both versions of the the head included (glowing and non-glowing) are a new sculpt with a very streamlined look ...ears back and narrow jaw/cheek lines on both sides that give off the vibe that his is a helmet and not a mask like the two classic comic Black Panther figures. Overall this is a great representation of T'Challa's more modern look (I'm not as well versed in BP material as I'd like to be so I'm not entirely sure how modern) and, again, it really just pops on the shelf with the rest of the Avengers. Also, all the joints on mine are good. Nothing too tight, but nothing too loose either. Just a very well done Marvel Legends all the way around even if there's more paint work than sculpt work going on here. Almost forgot, but he's also got a different necklace than the previous WM BP though I can't tell if it's new or been used before. Personally I removed it as, while it looks nice and the sculpt is excellent for an accessory, I think the silver color draws too much attention away from the glow effect paint apps.

Now, is he better than the previous Wal-Mart exclusive? I'd argue that neither are better than the other as, having owned both, it's going to come down to personal taste. If you prefer his classic look go for the previous WM BP, but if you're looking for something more modern than get the new one. Honestly, there's no reason not to have both as both are excellent figures and represent their rendition of the character well (unless you're like me and have a one version of each character rule). Basically it's down to personal taste on this one.

@RKillian pretty much covered it, but how it effects buyers is also pretty crappy too. Unfortunately online stores like BBTS and Amazon can't put up their preorders as early as they used to anymore in an effect to get more people to purchase through brick and mortar stores. And not just brick and mortar, but the specifically the big names like Wal-Mart and Target. Which means if you're like some and live in a toy dead zone your collecting just became a lot harder. Of course... it's not like places like Amazon and BBTS won't be able to put up their preorders eventually, but it's just shitty tactics all the same.

So far I've been able to make a deal with my buddy on Blastaar, but not Winter Soldier. He's adamant that a local comic shop is going to give him $100 for Winter Soldier so he won't budge on his friend price of $70. I'd probably have jumped at that given the eBay prices, but the one he has isn't complete (it's missing the long haired head) and it's the one with the red star on the shoulder which isn't as rare. I'm going to wait and see if he's bluffing about the comic shop and than try to renegotiate with him. :lol  I don't buy that the particular shop he's talking about is going to give him $100 for a loose and incomplete figure. That said I do have Blastaar now and he's a pretty good figure. I haven't messed with him much, but he doesn't seem to have the issues you mentioned with the joints. Also, he seems to be heavily retooled from the Wal-Mart Avengers film wave Hulk figure so it's an older body type. I got him though as I don't see Hasbro revisiting this character anytime soon in Marvel Legends unfortunately.

Oh cool. I had no idea that was the case. Though in hind sight it makes sense looking at it as it's got that same Sigma 6 stylization going on.

17. convoy84

News Credits:
    Right now, I'm just deciding on whether to get the non-glowy Walmart BP or the MCU version. The latter has butterfly joints, which just might win me over.

18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    They will but those preorders are more likely to be the whole case or double-packed singles only. They can't get critical mass to be able to absorb a portion of every assortment selling slower/cheaper than the rest. For a casual collector in a dead zone, that's a death sentence.

I also believe stuff like ToyWiz (purportedly a business seller) basically scalping from Amazon to be a side effect of the embargo. Why struggle to sell half that case and barely break even when you can scoop up two figures and double your money?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Very true. All of it hurting the people who want to purchase product more than anyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Glad to hear about the new Black Panther.

I don't think the old Winter soldier is worth $70, it's an outdated buck(ultimates Nick Fury buck with new parts). Solid figure but dated at this point. It was great 5 years ago.
    I'm not, it's a comic design in a movie wave and he might be packed 2 per case. I suspect that Black Panther and Killmonger will be the toughest to find in the long run, but not initially.

Moon Knight was 1 per case and a new one was in demand of years. This recent Iron Man wasn't in high demand because it's one of several Iron Man armors we've seen in this scale. Whereas the last time we got a legends Moon Knight was in 2006.

• Like Like x 1