The New Home for Transformers and G.I. Joe Comics Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Black Convoy, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't fault the guy for not knowing who Soundblaster is (even though Soundblaster is a way cooler color scheme than Soundwave). Like you said, he's going with what he's familiar with, and what the majority of people are familiar with.

I don't know why I bother with Transformers, Prime is always booked to look strong and go over everybody else. He's the franchise's golden boy

• Like Like x 3
  2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    Were people actually making an issue about this gentleman not knowing who Soundblaster was? The guy who wasn't even IN most TF fiction in the west and was exclusive to toys until fairly recently??

This comic is gonna suck bros, he doesn't even know who Twincast is. ;-;

Also last I checked Soundblaster is Soundwave, and he's a part of the main cast so... whoops I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ganon2099

Ganon2099 We're all gonna die

News Credits:
    I wasn't complaining. I was stating that if he doesn't know Soundblaster, he might not know JG1 at all. Which is probably a lot of people not in the Fandom as deep as us. So don't expect Metalhawk or the like.

Writers outside of being asked to include certain characters will gravitate towards those they like or know the most

4. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

no, they weren't, they were just noting it as an example that clarifies his range of familiarity and what he's likely to be putting and not putting in the comic

you're just over-primed to see "complaints"

• Like Like x 7
  5. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One minor correction here: Saban still owned PR when Boom got the license. When Hasbro bought PR they basically let Boom keep doing what they were already doing.

And yes, those comics are MMPR, but even though they’re kinda in continuity with the show (or the show’s in continuity for the comics, it’s weird) it’s very deliberately not set in the 90s. While the suits and zords are of course the original designs, the characters are clearly updated. This is not the case with the Skybound TF designs so far.

6. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    Wasn't referring to you good sir.

"No you" isn't the most convincing of arguments, admittedly... And my point still stands. But I'm glad we both agree that these aren't proper complaints.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ganon2099

News Credits:

Sorry, I saw your comment immediately after mine about Soundblaster. I must have miss some previous comments

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

how is what I said "no you"? the only two posts before yours regarding the Soundblaster thing were Ganon saying very matter-of-factly, with no real complaint, "he doesn't seem to know who Soundblaster is, he's sticking with what he's familiar with" and Skreeonk saying "yeah i understand not knowing who Soundblaster is", so unless you're talking about people elsewhere, it seems like you just imagined those messages to be complaints as to then complain about them

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But… all we know right now are the designs. Using MMPR is a great example as they LOOK like the 90’s version but then went nuts after a while and the stories were things they would never get away with on the old show.

Another reason it’s a good example is that I’m just a casual PR fan, so if you start tossing in Rangers I’m not familiar with from the get go, I won’t have any interest. That’s probably the kind of audience they’re trying to get with the new Transformers. Fans of the original characters. I get it now.

• Like Like x 5
  10. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    This is, of course, an issue hardly limited to the Transformers fandom. Lots of fanbases have an expectation that the writers of relevant fiction have more than a passing familiarity with the franchise they're going to be paid to contribute to.

The reality is, as often as not, bringing in a completely fresh perspective, specifically as opposed to a fan with deep knowledge of the minutia of a franchise, can bring better results than a writer the fans more readily accept as "one of their own."

• Like Like x 6
  11. UndeadScottsman

UndeadScottsman Ain't afraid of no Bad Spark.

I have zero problems with DJW not knowing who Soundblaster is. I would prefer that he'd be curious enough that, when presented with an aspect of the franchise that he's unfamiliar with, he would be willing to go do some research on it, (especially with TFwiki being a thing) but like that's not a requirement. Just a preference.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ganon2099

News Credits:
    Oh I agree. Good writers are good writers.
    Fan turned writer, he could be all over the board, wanting to include and reference too much that the story suffers.
    You could get a great writer that turns Jazz into the Transformers version the punisher because he likes the punisher more than he knows Transformers. Story might be good but some will be turned off by an iconic character being unrecognizable.

A good writer who can do proper research to bring characters they never knew into things is a great outcome. No half butt research of, G1 and Beast Wars had a scorponok, so we get to fans by making him like neither... poor scorponok...

• Like Like x 5
  13. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

The simple fact is, G1 is just a single part of this franchise, so it's always going to be disrespectful to try to focus on it, over everything else. G1 fans may have seen the initial move away from G1 as being disrespectful, but it happened and Transformers wouldn't be here today, if those other itterations hadn't brought in new fans (especially since most of the entitled G1 fans ditched the franchise, as they grew up, yet now some seem to resent the newer fans for keeping the brand alive).

I get that G1 sells the best these days, due to greater interest from nostalgic 80s kids and a decreased interest in toys from today's kids. That doesn't mean I have to be happy about it, or have any interest in reading this comic, nor do I have to accept the way Hasbro's been handling things.

Hasbro's current move to reincorporate a tiny amount of non-G1, especially with Legacy, feels like too little, too late. You can't tell me that, had Hasbro done somethning, no matter how small, to cellebrate the 20th anniversary of BW, it would've bombed, especially when they went so hard on the 25th anniversary and seemed to find success. A smaller 20th anniversary surely would've found similar success; Hasbro's leadership was just too single-mindedly obsessed with 80s nostalgia to try. Plus, their current attempts at creativity haven't really been that creative. A lot of the newer designs getting put out there, with ROTB and Earthspark, have been very bland and it doesn't help that Earthspark continues the trend of cartoon toyline disregarding older collectors and the ROTB toys, both mainline and SS, have seemed very cheap (in terms of how they're made, they're certainly not cheap to buy).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  14. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'll never quite understand the feeling that a G1 (even "G1 evolved") focus is "disrespectful" to other parts of the franchise. Pretty much every iteration of the franchise could be argued to be an evolution of G1. While there are certainly specific name drops where one iteration's version bore no resemblance to its G1 namesake (especially in Armada), it's still true more often than not that, if a character is given the name of a character from G1, the new character looks like a new interpretation of its G1 namesake. They could honestly try to focus on one specific non-G1 version of the franchise, and there'd be plenty of G1 concepts that would still be included.

• Like Like x 13
  15. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just don't understand using terms and sentiments like "disrespectful" or "slap in the face". We're talking about comics, cartoons, and toys here.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    Trying to explain this sort of mindset to people outside of the fandom is almost like trying to play charades with someone while they're wearing a blindfold.

And yes I'm absolutely speaking from experience.

• Like Like x 1
  17. UndeadScottsman

There are absolutely ways to be disrespectful towards source material, but that's stuff like having Cy-Kill show up to solely get murdered by Megatron. Or like when they decided to slaughter the 84-85 characters in the original '86 movie so they could hock more toys. Definitely no respect for the thing they created, there. :D 

All that said, a G1 comic isn't disrespectful to other continuities anymore than a Beast Wars comic or an Animated comic would be to disrespectful to G1.

18. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    The entire Unicron Trilogy is one big mix of name drops, references, and homages to G1, not to mention cameos in both the cartoons and the comics. No matter how much people want to argue against it, this franchise has always had roots in G1 and likely always will.

• Like Like x 8
  19. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 4
  20. UndeadScottsman

I was under the impression that the industry stopped giving out numbers aside from a few smaller publishers.