The New Home for Transformers and G.I. Joe Comics Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Black Convoy, Jun 9, 2023.

1. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    You *can* but the thing is Skybound just got the license. You can't fault them for wanting to take their shot at the well-known characters even if they don't follow G1 to the letter. It's just like when Hasbro bought PR and the first thing they did was work with BOOM to reboot MMPR while releasing a bunch of figures and toys based on MMPR.

Companies that want those brands want them for the well-known "sure sellers." Once they've cashed in on that, if they feel like they've got a reliable income stream they'll start to experiment more. Again, just like BOOM and Hasbro have with the comics (Omega Rangers, Solaris Rangers, Ranger Academy, etc).

• Like Like x 8
  2. Ganon2099

Ganon2099 We're all gonna die

News Credits:
    Thank you for explaining why it's always back to the nostalgic basics for these things. G1 will always have the biggest fans. The 80s nostalgia captured more hearts than UT will. Toys have gotten less and less of a thing. I'm a Beast Wars kid from the 90s. I understand that my generation was switching from toys to video games and other media being our nostalgia. No other generation of power Rangers can compete with the original. I prefer Space but I know it didn't have the audience the original did.

Hopefully we get past G1 eventually. Hopefully we get another new take on Beast Wars in the future. But for now I'm interested to see what Skybound does

• Like Like x 2
  3. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    That's not true. The bigger roadblock is the passage of time.

Kids who grew up on BW are only now starting to age in to where they're both nostalgic for BW *and* in a situation where they have disposable income to throw at toys. And those who aren't hardcore BW fans are only starting to age in to where they'd have kids and thus are starting to venture in to toy aisles again. The goal with nostalgic based stuff (ex: RotB) is to separate yourself from all the other stuff by catching the eye of someone who remembers it from their childhood.

If my son wants a bunch of toys, I'm not going to lie: I'll bias towards things I also like because then I'll be able to enjoy them with him.

The Unicron Trilogy isn't quite there yet. But the difference is, unlike BW, most of the characters people remember are ALSO either based on or just named after classic G1 characters. So you're seeing them getting mixed in way more often than BW was back before the Kingdom revival.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. UndeadScottsman

UndeadScottsman Ain't afraid of no Bad Spark.

The start of Beast wars and the start of Armada are less than a decade apart. (6-7 years) so if we're in the Beast Wars nostalgia cycle, Armada is not that far behind.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ganon2099

News Credits:
    How many kids had g1 toys of any kind?

How many kids had a Beast Wars toy of any kind?

How many kids had an Armada toy of any kind?

He-man and Thundercats, Joe's they only have adult fans, some kids are into it because of parents. But Transformers has always kept fans and stayed relevant. I just doubt Armada at the height of it's nostalgia resurgence will ever match 80s 90s

• Like Like x 2
  6. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I guess the reason why I'm not too annoyed about the hard G1 push the new comic series has going which to be honest I did see coming is because IDW 1.0 started out in a similar back to basic G1 direction albeit with more modern elements before eventually going into many different directions later on. Sure obviously not all of it worked out but the ones that did really benefited the brand in some manner or another. With a company like Image/Skybound comics having a reputation with dishing out impactful comics over the years like Spawn, Savage Dragon, Walking Dead, and Invincible I'm pretty certain/hopeful that we'll see a similar thing happened for the Image/Skybound TF comics.

I mean one can only play the hardcore and safe G1 route for so long before it gets old and with how even Hasbro despite pushing G1 the hardest understands that there's more to the brand then just G1 and the live action films which is why we're seeing lines like Kingdom and Legacy as well as the movies including BW characters there's a good chance that the people behind the new comic also gets that. I just pray that in the future we can also get comics themed around the other TF eras in some form or another like what IDW was trying to do with the BW comic before it got ended prematurely.

• Like Like x 2
  7. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    That doesn't really matter because the bigger benefit of getting in to UT is the ability to produce more Starscreams, Megatrons, Primes, etc without having to go back to the G1 designs yet again. You can simultaneously cash in on nostalgia from older fans while giving younger fans the names they recognize.

• Like Like x 1
  8. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Agreed. As I understand the trend, the answers to those questions are bound to be decreasing numbers as one gets later in time (even as populations have occasionally increased, although even that's not been consistent), as "toys" have become less and less important in the age of video, computers, and social media.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    So wait, this IS about nostalgia then? Rather than the strength of the story on its own??

Hm.

10. UndeadScottsman

I was stating a fact about how the timeframes line up, it was not a judgment about.. whatever the hell you're talking about.

This is the second time you have put words into my mouth. If you want to talk to me, actually talk about the things I'm saying instead of making up strawmen.

11. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    I don't think it counts as 'putting words in your mouth' when I just reword what you seem to be saying, I think you're perhaps frustrated that I'm poking holes in your logic. D:

That would line up with how aggressive this particular comment comes off as, over a simple question. If I'm wrong tell me how, that'd be more helpful frankly then accusing me of logical fallacies.

If you think I've wronged you or misrepresented you, use your words and explain to me how instead of trying to use this as an opportunity to snark because that's easier.

12. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know about all these other discussions people are having in this thread, and I'm not going to get involved. I have read 3-4 stories by DWJ though, and the man is absolutely obsessed with lariats and people getting hit by them. I'm probably in for the first 6 issues, and I am looking forward to Prime clotheslining someone's soul out of their body. Bonus points if he does it while going at high speed in his truck mode, and transforms at the last minute to hit it.

eUm3zdSv_0209221647111gpadd.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  13. UndeadScottsman

Noting that a general nostalgia wave for Armada is coming in a few years doesn't really have much to do with how I personally feel about a G1 comic that's coming out later this year. Those are literally two things that have nothing to do with each other and in fact aren't even mutually exclusive, both things can and do coexist alongside each other.

I'm generally not even sure why you're even drawing a connection here.

14. Novaburnhilde

News Credits:
    Frankly a lot of the 'discussions' seem to boil down to "I don't like G1, I want to see [Insert other entry in the franchise here]", criticizing the art based on the small handful of examples we've seen.. etc. rather than tangible concerns about the quality of the story, there's a lot of assumptions going on based on... some interviews and some teasers, not even giving the writer a chance to show us what he's made of.

I don't even know if the comics will be all that good, I'm just willing to give him a chance and am not literally judging a book by its cover.

Also the bolded text needs to happen.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ganon2099

News Credits:
    To be relevant to the discussion, G1 comics can draw in people that don't buy toys or haven't anything to do with Transformers outside G1, Dreamwave G1, IDW G1,
    The designs are iconic even to people that know very little about the brand

• Like Like x 4
  16. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    definitely looking forward to a couple of meaty lariats and maybe a suplex or two. A truck lariat would be pretty damned great.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    Agreed I got a feeling that is how this is going to go. Start off very G1 to keep it growing and draw in non-hardcore TF fans, to read the books, then once things are stable and the universe is going, start doing some new and bringing in other parts of the TF universe per say (characters, planets, etc). And I’m sure story wise rn Skybound has some tricks up their sleeves they aren’t revealing.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ganon2099

News Credits:
    Also if anyone watched the video. The current writer didn't know who Soundblastet is. He is going with what he is familiar with.
    New writers and new miniseries could lead to branching out in the franchise

19. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now I want to see Metroplex give Trypticon a German suplex.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    Lariats schmariat. I want to see Optimus do a superman punch.

• Like Like x 3