The New Home for Transformers and G.I. Joe Comics Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Black Convoy, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I'm guessing Skywarp will be the final reveal ha ha.

So only 6 issues? Makes sense, being the artist and writer I imagine can really take a toll, especially on a monthly book. I'm okay with it, especially if it's a full story. It also gives me a good jumping off point, in case it's not my thing ha ha.

2. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 生死有命,富貴在天

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    #1. Transformers isn't those franchises. Transformers isn't even really a comic book franchise like those are. Why don't we compare/contrast Transformers against something like Star Trek, which does thrive on reinvention and new incarnations? Different franchises work in different ways.

#2. I don't think that's entirely accurate anyway. There are tons of comparison charts showing the many Batman suits and Batmobile designs and whatnot. Looking up the recent Batman comics, it looks like his suit is a lot more detailed and modernized than it was in the '60s. And the newest Spider-Man movie stars a different Spider-Man and features an older Peter Parker with a baby.

#3. Again, I don't think anyone is saying this comic should betray the source material or drastically change stuff people love. There are many, many examples of Transformers designs that capture the look of the original character while also modernizing them and creating a unique look for that particular story/toy/era/etc. All of these designs look like Optimus Prime, but have their own unique style that sets them apart. Whereas this comic is basically just using better proportioned versions of the Sunbow designs.

36a0de77e38ac20a8be04eb75998d01b.jpg
    8717769-optimusprimebymarkerguruondeviantart.jpg
    pmtf-01_b08.jpg

YWYIETRDWBG75INDZ4OKLSCLAA.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot N

Autobot N Wants a Legacy Sunstorm

Rumble.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. olevelo

olevelo Supreme King of All Transformers Earth Wars

The people complaining about it being too 80s or too G1 don't want updated designs, they want whole reinventions (or at least that's the impression they give). Those updates Batman costumes? The ones that stick are the ones that tweaks. The farther you get from the classics, the shorter it stays around. It's like the difference between Optimus in Bumblebee versus in 2007. Are there fans who like 2007 more? Of course. But Bumblebee Prime hit a different chord...because it actually "feels" like Prime, the one everyone knows and loves.

Your Star Trek example doesn't make any sense...and of anything supports what I said. Those reinventions aren't even the same characters. So if you want a different Prime, create a new Prime, with new supporting characters. Just like Beast Wars did! Don't slap a new skin on, but give it the same name and a vaguely similar look.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Cosmosis

Cosmosis Well-Known Member

Damn, only 6? Damn.

Let's hope we get a proper ongoing soon. It seems like DWJ's at least interested in doing the story, so maybe they could throw another artist on and just let him worry about the plot. Ryan Ottley doesn't seem to be doing much rn.

Just as long as they give us an ongoing fast. I didn't realize how much I missed TF comics until now.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    To be clear, DDubs only said that he's doing 6 issues. He never actually said it's a mini-series ending at issue 6.

Hopefully Transformers is an ongoing and Skybound have another writer and artist ready to pick up with issue 7.

We'll just have to wait and see.

~L~

• Like Like x 4
  9. Dictionaryabot8407

Dictionaryabot8407 The man who knew too much

• Like Like x 1
  10. Decker

Decker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Rojixus

Rojixus Generation 2's Strongest Soldier

• Like Like x 1
  12. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I’d rather it just be a new artist.

13. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    ...Six issues?

But then, I guess being writer and artist on a monthly comic can only be handled for so long. I guess DWJ's run is a pilot of sorts and then he doubles down on writing while someone else does the art.

Or a new team takes over after #6?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ‎ ファイヤーコンボイ

News Credits:
    To be fair, if you'll recall ... IDW's original continuity began with a collection of mini-series rather than ongoings.

15. Dictionaryabot8407

Dictionaryabot8407 The man who knew too much

16. Cosmosis

Cosmosis Well-Known Member

That's fair, it seems most comic books nowadays are written with the threat of being cancelled at any time, so he's probably just being realistic.

Hell, I'm sure Jed McKay's Moon Knight wasn't intended to run for 2+ years, but it's still rolling and is even getting it's own event. If the book's good enough we might end up with a pretty long story arc.

IDW2 was a mixed bag at best and it still ran for 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    In the ComicPop! interview Daniel Warren Johnson talks about the length of series he's comfortable with doing.

He speaks specifically about his earlier books, Murder Falcon and Extremity, and how he was so excited to make those books at the beginning, so he comitted with his publisher to making those twelve-issue series.

He describes it being like "banging my head against a wall" to have to stretch his story out to twelve issues and slog through to the end.

"There's just been instances where you can just kind of feel when something is like going towards an end... when I was drawing that twelfth issue I was ready to be done!"

For the sake of publishing the best book possible, I wouldn't want to force DWJ to make more than six issues of Transformers, if that's how much he feels he has in him.

"I'm not sure that I have a Hellboy-like character in me, as much as I wish that I did, like I think I'd just burn out.
    Like, even on my characters, my own design, now I don't draw Extremity characters for fun anymore, I don't draw Murder Falcon for fun anymore, I don't draw Do A Powerbomb stuff anymore... you tell the tale, you get out out of your system and all of a sudden I find myself moving on."

DWJ says he is already working on his next project, a sci-fi epic that has already been approved by Image.

If he has already moved on to developing another book I don't think he will be giving Transformers his attention until he feels like he has the personal drive to do more Transformers comics.

In the best case scenario, DWJ will finish his current sci-fi project and will start thinking about what else he has to say about Transformers, which may lead him back to do another run.

Worst case scenario, he will purge Transformers from his imagination with these six issues and once he's done he won't have any urge to return.

~L~

• Like Like x 5
  18. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mmmm.

Good thing the comic was originally described by Kirkman as a continuing thing. I want long-form story-telling such as we got from (most of) IDW (and big chunks of Marvel, at least the UK stuff, even if it wasn't really laid out in advance). I don't want 6 months of this person's ideas, which then clash with this other person's vision for another 6 months, followed by a year of ret-conning by someone else again.

• Like Like x 3
  19. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Excessively Angry Decepticon

Wait, are you saying that if things change, not only will we not be stuck with G1 forever, but we won't be stuck with something else forever, that things will continue to innovate and evolve and that G1 itself won't somehow die forever and will instead keep coming back, from time to time, in some shape or form?

This sounds like an absolute win for everyone, except for those who want the franchise to be just G1 and nothing but G1 forever and ever.

• Like Like x 4
  20. olevelo

olevelo Supreme King of All Transformers Earth Wars

Pretty much, I think. You can have new things, and you can have an evolution of G1. You might not be able to get them at the same time. The problem is people on either side of the fence want to act like they're completely screwed during the time when the other one is in the spotlight.