The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    It saddens me that TT is apparently content to turn the MP line into a commodity instead of producing more to meet demand. But then again, there's a lot less complaining about, say, MP-12's poor QC now that he's limited to the secondary market and twice the price. [​IMG]

BTW, if any of you guys have an extra Sideswipe with decent paint, I've got some sweet stuff for trade, especially if you're a Joe fan as well. /shamelessplug [​IMG]

2. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

^ i ........actually pictured that hamster typin that, with a voice over in a english accent.

3. iGrimlock

iGrimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's probably not Takara reissuing MP-05, but rather Hasbro Asia doing another run to go along with their planned reissue of MP-08. Blueben seems to be from Singapore, and he did say that his local shop is doing a pre-order. So, it can't be old stock. Also, I may be wrong but these technically wouldn't be re-releases of MP-08 and MP-05, but they are actually being offered for the first time since there were no Asian(outside Japan) MP releases of MP-08 and older figures right? Meaning, they had to be imported from Japanese retailers. But starting with MP-09, Hasbro was distributing the MP's directly to the Asian countries outside Japan right? That's why the exclusive freebies like the display box and the coins started with MP-09? Any Asian collectors out there care to chime in and shed some light about this?

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We really have no idea, though there has been a rumor that MP-11 will see a rerelease. I do think the odds are still good we'll see a rerelease eventually (there is no license issue to get in the way, like the rumored license issue affecting the Lambo mold that previously came up), but for all anyone knows a rerelease could not come until next year.

At this point, it's just take the risk that one will come later (Takara rerelease or Hasbro release) and understand you could get burned if it never happens, or take the risk of jumping on one now and paying roughly twice what the going rate of a rerelease could be while also risking bad luck/timing (an announcement comes RIGHT after you shell out the first run).

5. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    The voice over can be arranged, I work cheap. [​IMG]

I got burned by the latter with MP-09. I bought, after much hand-wringing over the price and the QC, right before they announced v2. I paid (US dealer) retail, but still, that hurt. I got burned (thus far) by the former with Sideswipe, wanting to wait for the QC issues to be fixed on the next run.

Oops.

6. OmegaSupreme235

OmegaSupreme235 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info everyone.

7. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    It's a wild card. I'm pretty sure Starscream will be reissued down the line. If they go on promoting Galvatron as MP20, then Starscream has the right accessories and we might even see a Rodimus reissue.

If they promote Megatron as MP20, then Starscream is about right, period.

Let's not kid ourselves, the mould is good, the coronation gear decent, but it's not a 240-340 USD mould.

8. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Guys, I am just wandering how likely you think it will be that Hasbro also makes MP Prowl? It is not a Lamborghini where they have to get a special licence. Is there any confirmation or leads on this. I sort of want the toy, but don't want to pay 80$ for it.

Thanks

9. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I wouldn't hold your breath and 6 months after he is out I would imagine we'll see that $80 (for those that paid that price) would have been a bargain.....just like Sideswipe/Red Alert were at launch.

10. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

Ugh, I'm dying for some official TT MP news already.

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

As far as I know, these are licensed Datsuns...so they'd still require a 'special license' if released here.

12. Acid Storm

Acid Storm I'm Keith

Exactly, They'd need to license it from Nissan USA/Europe if they brought them across.

13. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not making the same mistake with Prowl that I did with Sideswipe. I preordered Prowl.

14. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've pre-ordered the Takara MP cars, but I'm pretty sure Hasbro will put them all out eventually. It might be after the next movie, but there's no reason not to put them out.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is if Hasbro can't get the licencing for them..

16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

There is one reason...because they don't feel they're profitable enough. Especially if these continue to be TRU exclusives (read as limited releases,) it might not be worth their while to pay for the licensing to sell them over here in limited numbers for half the TT cost. And they probably wouldn't sell very well in our market at TT pricing. And how cheap would they need to be to be sold as a non-exclusive at retail? They're probably too spendy to show up on the shelves everywhere at $40 a pop. HA weren't really the best sellers and those were bigger, came with more crap, and were $30 a pop with a blockbuster movie supporting them.

17. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

ANY time a company wants to use another company's intellectual property and/or trademark, they have to get a license. It's not a particularly SPECIAL license, but it IS something they need to obtain (and sometimes pay, sometimes not pay for) before selling said item in certain territories.

Lamborghinis are not inherently more valuable an intellectual property than Nissans are.

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While I partially agree with this, you also have to remember that the TT retail ISN'T $80 per over seas, it's closer to the $45 mark, I think. I'm not saying they will release then, but IF they do, it won't be that far from that price point.

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Fair enough, but I thought I recall reading people buying these figures from actual stores in Japan pay closer to what we do with the import prices. So I guess the question is is how much of a mark-up do the good overseas online stores charge and where does that fall in line with TRU by comparison?

20. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

The thing is we're paying $45-$50 on pre-orders at Anime Export, AmiAmi and HLJ. I know that ship has sailed, but if Hasbro releases them here I imagine they'll go for at least $35 and possibly $45. For what amounts to the price of shipping ($25?) I'll take the risk that Hasbro releases them for cheaper.