The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Extremely simple. Consistency with the mainline says 32. If you preferred the toys or the Japanese animation to the other options then 38.

Or why not both?! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  2. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    I've only got so much space! Don't make me choose...

In all seriousness...well, the space thing is true, but I also just wanna make sure I don't funnel all my current money into toys. It'd be foolish when the Magic/Knights/Lightning are starting their seasons and I'd like to have reasonably good seats for all 3 opener games.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

If they are to follow the SoC example, I expect combiners being sold in 50-60000 yen giftsets and being 30-35 cm tall.

4. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Broken Record

Much like @HolyCulture says, MP-32 will match your Cheetor as they are both deco'd to look like their Beast Wars season 1 appearances. MP-38 is (now) more of a companion piece for MP-48 Lio Convoy, he is deco'd to resemble his appearance in Beast Wars II...as is Lio Convoy. Unless you really like the idea of a more flat original toy like deco I'd go for MP-32 if I were in your situation.

You're in luck that Primal and Cheetor came out just before prices really took off. If you don't want to spend the money on the much more expensive Dinobot, Megatron, Blackarachnia, Lio Convoy and any further BWMPs announced you'll still have a nice affordable duo that look really great on the shelf together.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I strongly doubt that. It’d be far too hard to get people to shell out that much at one go, and they’d have to have a crazy amount of factory time dedicated to it.

6. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    MP-48 - Lio Convoy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Broken Record

Whoops. I'm sure no confusion was caused though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. er4smiths

er4smiths MP Grimlock v2.0

News Credits:
    I thought you had some inside info and I was so confused! Jk

I agreed 100% with your thoughts on the matter

• Like Like x 1
  9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

The price probably is in line with what it is...a limited edition, gigantic, highly collectible action figure, but $600 for any action figure is still ridiculous. In my opinion, of course. But to be fair, I've spent close for a 3rd Party 'MP' Devastator...I think it cost me around $500 at the time...before the gift sets came along. And I thought I was getting a deal finding an overseas seller... But those days are well behind me. I'm having a hard time talking myself into MP-44 for $330. The ONLY thing pushing me to yes is I shouldn't have too hard of a time getting that back or close if I decide I don't 'need' it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GearsRollo

The thing is that despite what you feel about the pricing of these figures, it’s actually very much in line with what collectibles of a similar complexity are going for in the market. I’d actually even argue that despite being very expensive, that Unicron figure is a pretty good price for the amount of detail, material, and gimmicks.

I do get that the difference between MP-10 and 44 is a significant one, but we are talking about periods in this line that are wildly different on design, material, target audience, and demand. The physically differences between those two figures is similarly huge, but people want to ignore that to justify being spicy about it.

I’m very curious to see what the response - both comparative and individually - to MP-44 is once we get past the prerequisite angry internet stage. If it’s anything like Megatron, there’s going to be a lot of about-face opinions.

• Like Like x 4
  11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Sure, most of this has far more to do with me and where I'm at than what I necessarily feel is just and right in the world of collecting...I'm not really trying to convince everyone that we're getting screwed...I'm just speaking for myself. These things don't bring me loads of joy and happiness anymore. At this point I find them far more neat than enjoyable, if that makes sense. If getting a new figure still did for me what it did 10 years ago, $600 for a huge ass Unicron might not seem ridiculous, I dunno. But now when I buy a figure, I maybe mess with it for an hour or two, then throw it on a shelf...$600 seems absolutely ridiculous to me for that experience. $330 also doesn't seem a worthwhile trade off for it. Hell, $100 at this point is pushing it...which is why I've mostly reached the end of my collecting road. I 'need' a couple more characters for it to feel complete, and then I'll be done. If I wasn't so close to achieving my collection goal, I'm sure I'd have already called it quits. I had also previously planned to continue buying Takara G1 MPs because they were great figures AND they were a bargain, but they're no longer a bargain (IMO) so I no longer plan to continue. No butthurt...it's just where I'm at.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GearsRollo

Not taking any kind of swipe at you here, just to frontload it, but it does kinda sound like you’re at that point of calling it. Good on you for being able to recognize it though, I’ve known a lot of collectors who just kept buying whatever line because it’d become a habit they felt trapped by. I’d see it all the time back in my comic shop days in the late 90’s, early 2000s, and it always kind of made me sad that collectors who’d once been so enthused were just going through motions.

I honestly hope they put out your last few needed figs soon. It can be incredibly satisfying to cap off a set. I had that a couple of years ago getting a really nice G1 Shockwave to wrap my classic set.

• Like Like x 5
  13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think it's just Hound and Brawn left that I 'need' for me to have a complete Season 1 MP cast. Hound is coming (I sold FT's in anticipation of TTs) and I don't need TT to be the ones to offer Brawn. FansToys has a plenty acceptable Brawn in the works. First decent Brawn to market gets my money. While I wait, I wouldn't mind upgrading Astrotrain or grabbing the s2 minibots I'm missing & Skids if I came across a helluva deal, but those two S1 guys are all I 'need' to say I'm good.

• Like Like x 4
  14. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

I want less “I’m reasonable and responsible - I quit” posts and more “hold my hand as we both tipple over the waterfall in the canoe” type posts when it comes to my TT MPs pls ... :) 

• Like Like x 5
  15. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    MAAAAAN THEN IT'S ME! YA BOY!

Seriously... I was trying to have one of each figure for a complete collection, and arbitrarily I decided to buy two of each one instead. Cause I'm a dumbcunt like that.

I didn't just tipple over the waterfall in a canoe. I'm thinking more of a bodyboarding over Niagara scenario.

• Like Like x 3
  16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Procrastination for the win...(or loss?) I didn't bother to act in time to cancel my amazon.jp order so I'm now locked in on MP-44. I will for sure be getting it.

Whether I keep it is still slightly up in the air, though...

• Like Like x 2
  17. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

So, MP BW Megs managed to scare the hell out of me this morning.
    I forgot that I had moved him the night before to clean. When I went to finish up, the tiny slivers of light from the draped window were just enough to illuminate his dayglo yellow green toes.
    I thought there was some weird bug or vermin, until I shined my phones flashlight at it.

For managing to scare the frag out of me, I picked him up a rubber ducky while out shopping.

Well played Megs, well played.
    :lol 

• Like Like x 7
  18. crazyman

crazyman Active Member

Twitter:
    I can't believe my brain was this slow but I just realized that a MP 44 means a lot of new repaints.

How long do you think it be until we see repaints? The jump from MP 10 to 10B was about 1.5 years for example.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GearsRollo

I think MP-44 won’t be as heavily repainted as MP-10. The price point on MP-10 allowed for it much more easily, while 44 is a far more complex figure that can’t just have any colours slapped onto it for it to sell

That said, I’m sure we’ll get a + version with toy colours a year to two from now, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see a new MP-10 repaint occasionally. People still love that mold even though it’s a little outdated.

• Like Like x 6
  20. crazyman

crazyman Active Member

Twitter:
    I see.

As hype as a MP 44B would be, the price is definitely a factor I forgot to consider for repraints.

• Like Like x 1