The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    So long as the wings fold up neatly into two stacks and have the beast head nestling between them, I don't think many will have an issue. It's just how big/long those stacks are.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Digger

Digger Spreading peace, love and reasonable explanations

Twitter:
    Have we ever seen his back model from the show?

3. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Damn fine work, Chris! But your excellent digibash and copious screen caps only make me wish for an all new 2.0! Hopefully someday.

Seems assured TT will continue to trickle carbots out, but as far as larger G1 MP figures it seems to me that aside from Galvatron (A lister), Starscream, Soundwave, Grimlock, Rodimus, and maybe Ultra Magnus re-dos seem more likely to me than new B list characters like Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Cyclonus, etc. Maaaybe Blaster. I guess.

• Like Like x 4
  4. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Think about how excited they were with Bee,that they got th VW license to pair with MP-20, the first Transformers we meet. If CJ is a remold of 45 and the finally have the license, that's the kind of side by side reveal I could see them doing at TTS/ Wonderfest for a repaint / remold far ahead of release.Especially when you factor in Hound and Cliffjumper are the first Autobots we really meet on earth.

• Like Like x 4
  5. chchchch

chchchch Floptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Thanks so much Dean! I'm in the same boat buddy, I wanted to prove a v2 wasn't "necessary" and it had the opposite effect on me :lol 

I also wonder if B and C list characters are made slightly more possible based on the desires of the design team--I've gotten the impression from interviews that Hasui was able to successfully convince TT to do characters they were initially reticent about (like Sideswipe, at least I think...) So if Kobayashi or whoever's steering the ship is really passionate about Astrotrain for example, maybe he wouldn't be out of the question?

• Like Like x 4
  6. hardedge

hardedge Well-Known Member

His back looks quite like Megatron's with those polygonal diamonds save for Terrorsaur's having his Pterosaur head nestled in between said plates.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dean ML

I sure hope so! I also hope that the fact that there are MPs of BW characters I'd never heard of until recently helps their case, too. Obviously, I'm not a BW guy, but my point is that characters like Cheetor and Blackarachnia seem no more "deserving" of MPs than an Astrotrain or Blitzwing, or even Reflector, the Insecticons, and the Constructicons! (btw, no point in anyone trying to explain to me how important those characters are to the franchise - outside of fans of the franchise I'm sure most don't know who they are is what I'm saying).

• Like Like x 1
  8. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's like the "complete set" thing with the BW MPS , much like the Diaclones. You can squeeze in B,C,and D list characters because they all fill out a certain subset. Think that's sort of the logic with a chibi bee. I think Cliffjumper and Windcharger would sell well enough as chibi sport cars. The others larent aa sexy so, we' ll probably see one or two more and they'll judge if there's enough response to finishthem and possibly go further into the 85 mini's who don't have much repaint value.

We know they get feedback from the fans in Japan, if something is requested enough, if they think they can sell it and turn a profit, it'll get made, it's why I haven't ruled out combiners.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I mean, without getting into knowledge of the individual shows, I can tell you that Cheetor and Blackarachnia almost certainly appear/speak in more episodes than any of those characters. And that is taking into account the fact that G1 has far more episodes.

The BW cast is significantly smaller, so all the characters become more significant.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Predaking EX

Predaking EX I am Power.

Ebay:
    It would be awesome if we got Terrorsaur as the next Pred, finish the dinos from BW plus the engineering would be something to see to get him show accurate.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

After Dinobot and Blackarachnia, I have no concerns on how it'd turn out. But yeah, Terrorsaur and Airrazor are probably the last two that require significant amounts of magic.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Digger

Twitter:
    I’m still hoping to get a scorponok soon. I feel like he’d be the bluestreak or smokescreen of BW MPs. He doesn’t have the highest expectations or fan reception. So his focus is just on making a solid and fun action figure.

• Like Like x 3
  13. er4smiths

er4smiths Optimus Prime Titan

News Credits:
    Rhinox, Tigatron, Silverbolt, and DepthCharge
    would send me into a constant state of MP Euphoria

• Like Like x 2
  14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I'm not a BW guy so I could be wrong...but I've always been under the impression Cheetor was an A-list character from the series. They made a huge supreme class figure for him, a Generations figure, and he was like the second BW MP... I never watched the show, but that all led me to believe he was some sort of big deal.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Digger

Twitter:
    He’s like movie bumblebee. Kid appeal character and gets lots of toys. But he has a lot more backing and people who enjoy him. Lower tier fan favourite but they don’t hate him, that’s for sure.
    Blackarachnia is kinda more deserving in terms of her impact and character legend. But I guess if you factor it the beast wars fandom is a bit smaller compared to people who don’t like it. So I guess wide consensus would be smaller by fact.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    To be fair outside of fans of the franchise I'm sure most don't know who Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Reflector, the Insecticons or the Constructicons are... no more or less than know who Cheetor or Blackarachnia are ...which I guess might be your point? Speaking for myself, a fan of both, a child of the 80's who grew up on G1 and came to Beast Wars many years after the fact (and putting recent price/aesthetic developments aside) Cheetor and Blackarachnia excite me far more than any of the above.

Yes and know, there is a smaller cast and they do feel more like a set but also there are very few C and D list characters in Beast wars...if any? Pretty much the entire show cast is A or B list because, small cast meant more screen time and characterisation...and basically what @Joalro said...

Plus G1 may be more well known and had more of a cultural impact, but that's not what TT's target audience...it's fans with deep pockets they are after and the Beast Wars kids have just come of age in that respect. Im sure there will be more of both obviously but I think its high time Beast Wars gets its time in the sun.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Digger

Twitter:
    Well I guess by B you mean the simple villains. Like terrorsaur and scorponok I guess could be B or C characters.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Immutable opponent of negativity

YouTube:
    I mean...deserving is kind of a comparative term. Beast Wars characters got a lot more in depth characterization than most G1 characters, making them richer, more complex, and interesting. On the other hand, G1 is a lot more iconic and invokes more nostalgia overall. I think the main cast of BW season 1 deserve masterpiece figures but I also think all G1 characters who made an appearance in the show or were particularly prominent in the comics deserve a figure.

Edit: partially ninja’d by @Booster Gold

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dean ML

It is, except I'm sure the Constructions/Devastator are fairly well known throughout geekdom, moreso than characters like Cheetor & Blackarachnia. Of course, combiners present their own special challenges for this slow and expensive line.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Well known? Yes probably. Desirable? Affordable? Profitable? Maybe not so much? Hard to say. Like you say the issues presented by combiners in a slow and expensive live are pretty clear. Aside from Devastator and the individual Constructions having no real character to speak of and all looking basically the same they only really appeal as a set to most folk. Thats a lot of green and purple and a lot and money. I'd rather invest in a group of more varied colourful characters... like the crew of the Axalon for example ;) 

Besides a few G1 B and C (maybe D?) list characters have already been released.. Tracks, Inferno, Grapple the Dastuns that are not Prowl? I'm sure you'll get so more...maybe after the they've finished retconning the G1 line to the new aesthetic?

I get you point regarding less well know characters and how, purely by dint of being Beast Wars characters and not G1 ones they are a little less 'popular' but to be fair there hasn't been a single Beast Wars MP release below what your average Beast Wars fan would call B list thus far (unless we count repaints). I'd honestly call them all A listers. Primal, Megatron, Cheetor and Dinobot were core cast from day one and although a slightly later addition Blackarachnia grew to become very popular and joined the core cast right through to Beast Machines.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3