The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

You know, I feel like we're arguing almost the same point from slightly different sides.

I could be wrong, I don't work at Takara, so take this with a grain a salt - Here's all I know - I know that it LOOKS like they're making at LEAST the Diaclone transformers from seasons 1 and 2 of the cartoon. We've already seen Season 2 characters, so it's reasonable to believe more will come. We know that Takara is licensing the characters alt modes, so the only real issues would come from a licensor being resistent to licensing out their IP. That's it. Right now, it doesn't seem anyone knows what's coming next. To me that would imply that nothing is off the table. Why think small?

2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I can't argue with that man, I do agree on the most part too but it's just a feeling. I could and probably will be wrong but this is a speculation thread after all and it's all good to debate both what we all think might/might not happen :D 

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I was thinking about all the MP releases and thought about a couple of patterns here which can put other MPs in the near future in question. The last MPs released have been easily repaint hogs:
    - Starscream has at least 3 possible repaints. 3 possible slight mold change repaints.
    - Sideswipe has 1 repaint, which turned into 2, but can even be 3 which would really push it.
    - Prowl has 2 repaints at least, but could be more.
    - Optimus has 1 repaint at least.
    - Soundwave has 1 repaint.

The goal would be to make the money back on the mold in the long run and repaints help with that a lot.

So where does that leave figures like Sunstreaker, which would only have 1 repaint at max and that would be pushing it painting him Red.

So the list of non repaintable characters are:
    - Shockwave
    - Reflector
    - Almost all the Minibots

I mean, how could they recoup their money on the mold for these.

So I wonder if they released all the easily repaintable ones so close together this year, because this a non movie year, and would be the time to do it. I wonder if things slow down again when you get to these non repaintables.

4. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Igear seems to be repainting the minis...

You are right tho. They need to make money where they can in order for the line to survive. So they pump out the models that are gonna make money to create demand for the rest of the line.

Soundwave/Megs/Shockwave. I believe these three core/recognized characters will be made regardless of the lack noteable repaints but will sell due to the recognition. Soundwave will make money on tapes.

If they sell enough of these characters to make money, they will infact release the other characters despite making less repaints as they are securing a base for demand. If they released Hound (although iconic) as the first masterpiece without the rest of the Autobot Cars with him, he wouldn't sell well. He only becomes really valueable as part of a line up. They are making the line up now.

I think the question is more of the relatively unknown characters like Skidz.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I completely agree with you Enterlaw. I don't see any reason to NOT do the "boring characters". And I'm sorry, but the Igear Not-Ironhide and Not-Ratchet, while awesome, are still not toon accurate at ALL. I still whole heartedly think that TT could do a much better job of creating a true masterpiece version of both figures, PLUS the others like Trailbreaker, Hoist, and the many others that are still yet to be made by anyone.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Dark purple toy/sometimes toon accurate main release, eHobby grey and/or super bright cartoon purple (ala that Quakewave thing) release.

Toon accurate main release, toy accurate eHobby release.

Virtually every minibot had a repainted counterpart, so those would be fairly simple I think.

And given the fact that they're actually bothering to squeeze out a super obscure Tigertrack repaint out of Sideswipe, they could apparently come up with repaints for absolutely any & every mold no matter how ridiculous or out of left field it may be.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just use one of the pieces from the G1 LB, ;)  :lol 

8. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Two if you count SG Soundwave, who recently was done in the G1 mold.

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, I guess they could always do G2 repaints as well.

But when a character gets repainted into a whole new show character it tends to sell more. I mean, Shackwave and toy accurate repaints may not sell the some volumes at all.

At this point, I am thinking we have a much better chance of getting:
    Trailbreaker/Hoist
    Ratchet/Ironhide

then the other characters I mentioned.

I mean there are certain characters that you could almost eliminate all together:
    - Shockwave (no repaint option, unless shackwave and need licensing from a whole different company)
    - Wheeljack (no repaint, need licensing)
    - Hound (same)
    - Mirage (same)

Ones I will hold out hope for is:
    - Insecticons (can do slight remolds and repaints)
    - Reflector (at least it doesn't require a license)

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, didn't most of the mini's have repaints?? Brawn as outback, gears as swerve, BB and CJ. Beachcomber, seaspray and powerglise are all just palin fun vehicles, I mean who wouldn't want a badass dune buggy that turns into a giant robot? And a Warthog plane and hovercraft?? And don't forget Mr. Zealous with BANG POW ZOOMING POWER Warpath, who's a tank. Yea, I can see them easily making the mini's as 2 packs no doubt.

11. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'm absolutely fascinated to know where 'boring characters' has been plucked from......

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, but your thinking Toy repaints. Here they are trying to stay true to the animation model.

So Brawn/Outback and Gears/Swerve are possible, but BB/CJ is not the same mold.

As for 2 packs, not so sure, they are also trying to keep G1 cartoon scale as well. And some of the minibots weren't really Mini.

But possible.

13. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 Hound got repainted as Detritus so there's nothing to stop them being equally obscure for Mirage or Wheeljack IMO.

14. Enterlaw

I was thinking about the licensing issue and I have a question. When they reissued the G1 autobots back in the what, early/mid 2000's, were Wheeljack, Jazz, Sunstreaker, and Mirage part of those released? I remember they released Prowl, Anime Bluestreak, and others, I just never collected them, so I don't remember for sure.

Because, IF they DID, they would have had to go through the same licensing issues they would now. Now, that DOESN'T mean they don't have to go to Porshe to release an MP Jazz now, b/c the MP Jazz would be a totally different beast, but that WOULD mean that somewhere somehow someone must have given permission. If NOT, whoops.

15. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    just seen this and reminded me of the size mp grimlock debate should be ..

[​IMG]

this is how big i wish he was , be awesome if we got an oversized ko if takara wont do it

16. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jazz was released, but afaik the Wheeljack and Mirage molds are gone.

I'm not sure what all the fuss surrounding Wheeljack is though- he's a Lancia right? Are they owned by VW or something? Same for Mirage. Dunno who has the licenses for their vehicles.

17. Enterlaw

The issue w/ Wheeljack is not just with the car, it's also w/ his paintjob, which makes him the IP of both Lancia and the Alitalia Race team of that time, Alitalia of current time, etc. etc.

Smokescreen is apparantly also a design from a real race team, as was Mirage, so , with Smokescreen, at least, we shall maybe get an idea of how this will play out.

When Jazz was released, was his sticker set the same? Martini, etc.?

18. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those molds were not licensed at all, ever. They're not "accurate" really, to the actual cars.

19. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, Jazz came with Meister stickers if I remember right. His logos were just licensed weren't they, not his colour scheme too?

I don't mind if they have to leave all the logos and sponsors off. We'll more than likely be able to get a reprolabel set for those at least, so better than having Meister plastered across Jazz's windscreen again.

And oh I see, that does complicate things a little. Another license to acquire then- surely racing teams would be behind big name toys that happen to be the awesome good guys? we'll see I guess- would suck to have them in any other colours!

20. butz

butz slippery when wet

I dunno, I seem to recall something about Guy Ligier (racing team for the car Mirage was based on) being pretty opposed to the idea.