The Movie Toy-line (Speculation) Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by zzyss, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The talk of all the extra versions of characters makes me think we'll probably end up with some crazy role play merchandise. Remember that recent Darth Vader helmet Hasbro put out? I wouldn't be too surprised to see something like that based on Prime.

Anyway, if they do release multiple versions of the characters, I hope it doesn't get too insane, such as the Batman Begin toys, i.e. 15 million Batman figures that had nothing to do with the movie. I don't really wanna see Sunday School Soundwave sitting around Wal-Mart when the movie never even featured a church you know? I hope they keep that stuff at least somewhat sensible.

2. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't there suppose to be a direct to DVD prequel to the movie coming up to kinda set up the film? They'd make a bunch of toys from that I'd bet.

I also think we'll get smacked up side the wallet with everything from Sleeping bags, to Toothbrushes, to Bed sheets and so on. Hasbro will have games, both board and card/mini/roll-playing from their Wizards of the Coast property. We'll see Pez-bots and other candies. And that's just here. Imagine what wonderous things will come out of Japan when the film shows there. :thumbs2: 

3. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Hiro Prime, never heard of that prequel. I don't know why they'd bother with that.

I have two words as far as merchandising: Optimus Potatohead.

4. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

I don't think it'll be quite the merchandising blitz some of you guys think it will be. Transformers isn't quite the cultural icon that star wars is. I mean, we'll get a lot of stuff, but I doubt bedsheets and eight different versions of prime. Hasbro is generally a little smarter than that when it comes to the transformer line. We'll probably get a fair spread like we had with energon, followed by some repaints. If we're lucky, there won't be a central gimmick.

Why's everybody keep saying there will only be a few actual transformer characters in the movie? The original movie had a ton and we saw toys of nearly every one of them. It's not like they won't have the budget for it, being a big hollywood movie and all.

I'm really just expecting another toy line like the past few we've gotten. Though like I said, I really hope there aren't any stupid gimmicks.

5. Dio

Dio Scrapper

Because Don Murphy said it himself.

And then had a sort of write-in vote as to which 5 or 6 characters from each side fans most wanted.

There have also been frequent comparisons to the "X-Men" movies, where the plot focused on a small handful of key characters.

6. Blastwave

Blastwave Well-Known Member

I heard something about a prequel to go along with Neo G1 a long time ago, but my guess is that it got scrapped.

Yeah, there will only be a few 'bots per team, but I'm still expecting a decent amount of cameos, from which at least one TF toy per cameo will be made. And of course the TF's who didn't even make an appearance, but will probably still be made, just like every other TF line to date (mostly repaints)

There probably will be a couple role-playing items, but I wouldn't expect them to be in large variety. Maybe masks, swords/guns, or even a plush Bumblebee :p 

I wouldn't mind a playset/base TF, but I doubt we'll see one. Hasbro doesn't make them that often (and no, Primus doesn't count IMO)

7. Ktulu

News Credits:
    You could argue that The Hulk and Fantastic Four aren't really as big as Star Wars either, but their films still got merchandised out the ass. They've been around longer than TFs and have just as big, and larger, followings, but the point remains. Also, merchandising for a big blockbuster family movie can be looked at as a good way to advertise the film and try to get asses in seats at the theatre. I think you may be underestimating things a little.

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:

Hooray for Pez!
    Pez are great, heres for TF Pez-dispensers!

9. zzyss

zzyss Well-Known Member

One other interesting point... remember how Has/Tak tried to get the license from VW for Bumblebee, only to be told that VW doesn't care much for the "war/violence" connotations? Do you think that maybe they were asking for more than just the rights to the BT toy, but also for the movie as well?

I mean, what can a toy do? It's just a toy. But if the character was going to be participating in a movie in which there will definitely be good vs. evil type fights, then that makes more sense.

10. Ktulu

News Credits:
    ^ Makes the new Volkswagen commercials where they are trying to seem hip and trendy pretty hilarious considering they wouldn't even let their car become part of a huge pop culture toy property.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.