The movie is not G1.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheBeastman, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

[​IMG]

2. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pffffsh...next thing you know, someone is going to try and tell me Transformers Prime isn't G1.

3. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    ^Wait...IT'S NOT!?

*Rageface*

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well duh. Bayformers isn't G1.
    But it is heavily influenced by G1.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    It was pretty much one of my favourite shows when I was younger. So awesome. :D 

6. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    ^Agreed.

7. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

DOTM combined THe Ultimate Doom with the Megatron's Master Plan. I thought it was a big G-1 episode and that was fine with me.

8. arcee101

arcee101 wrecker

I can't deal with that now!

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    In all fairness, these particular complaints don't take G1 into account at all. Optimus definitely was more willing to kill in the sequels, and Soundwave didn't have a mouth in RotF.

Those artists were my gods as a child. been trying to track them down lately; found Fil Barlow (who also worked on "The Real Ghostbusters"!) and Thomas Perkins, I HIGHLY recommend checking out their other stuff.
    Those shows are almost certainly why I absolutely adore the movie-verse Decepticons. *wishes movie-verse got the Saturday morning cartoon treatment*

10. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

People forget that Optimus attempted to kill Megatron twice in during season 1 but Megatron survived and in the '86 movie was ready to blast him into oblivion had Hot Rod not interfered.

11. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Durr,it's not G1

12. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Hmmm, let's see...

Prime: semi truck, mouthplate, red & blue, Autobot leader, voiced by Peter Cullen - as per G1
    Bumblebee: yellow car, cute, Sam's "buddy" - as per G1
    Jazz: small sports car, visor in robot mode, sounds "black" (not in a racist way) - as per G1
    Ratchet: medic vehicle, medic character - as per G1
    Ironhide: old, war torn & gruff in character - as per G1
    Wheeljack: inventor character - as per G1
    Megatron: silver & gray, Decepticon leader - as per G1
    Shockwave: cyclops eye, head antenna, purple, large canon on arm - as per G1
    Starscream: jet, underling to Megatron, weasley personality - as per G1
    Soundwave: recon, spy, has Ravage & Laserbeak minions, voiced by Frank Welker - as per G1
    Ravage: cat-like beast mode, minion of Soundwave - as per G1
    Laserbeak: condor bird-like beast mode, minion of Soundwave - as per G1
    Brawl: giant green tank - as per G1
    Devastator: combiner made of Constructicons - as per G1
    Long Haul: dump truck, Constructicon, colored bright green - as per G1
    Sam: last name Witwicky, companion to Bumblebee - as per G1
    Carly: blonde, girlfriend of Sam - as per G1

Plus...

- Cullen & Welker reprising the roles they originally did for G1

- G1 transformation sound heard throughout all three movies

- Matrix of Leadership existing and possessed by Prime - introduced via G1

- existence of the space bridge - introduced via G1

- Prime having a glowing orange axe and Megatron utilizing a mace - introduced via G1

- DOTM main plots being the exile of the Autobots and the transport of Cybertron to Earth, as per the G1 episodes "The Ultimate Doom" and "Megatron's Master Plan"

- Jazz's flip onto Brawl in TF1 was almost a frame for frame recreation of Kup flipping onto Blitzwing in the original G1 animated movie

- most of Prime's key one-liners such as "one shall stand, one shall", "Autobots, roll out", and "it's just you and me now, Megatron" lifted directly from G1

- Sam tells Mikeala she's "more than meets the eye" - G1's definitive tagline

- Ironhide's mention of "leaking lubrant" in direct reference one of his most famous G1 lines

- Autobot & Decepticon logos based off G1 versions - not G2, not Beast Wars

So yeah, it's completely OUTRAGEOUS why so many people constantly reference G1 when talking about the movies since CLEARLY the writers, producers, director, Hasbro & Dreamworks didn't mine that exact series the most for the majority of everything they did. Factoring all that in, it's absurdly stupid that people may have expected such "fanwank" things like having certain character-defining trademarks applied to more of the bots. And obviously just because someone wanted Soundwave to have his classic voice, that MUST also mean they wanted him to still be an 80's tape deck, Bumblebee to still be an outdated VW Beetle, Jazz to still have a #4 racing stripe, and of course Megatron to still be a tiny little mass shifting pistol. Those crazy "geewhiners" - when will they see that there is no tie whatsoever, zero, nada from G1 to the movies?! Cuz obviously all those examples listed above were just happy accidents & coincidences since, as you said, the movie is not G1.

Sorry guys... couldn't resist :) 

And yes, I can see how the argument could definitely be made of "how is that not enough G1 for you guys to like?", hehe.

13. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    ^tl;dr

14. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Did not read all posts, but one thing I can tell G1 IS NOT the movie, if far better! even with all its incongruousness, G1 IS THE BEST!

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    The movies AREN'T G1.

It's BEAST WARS

16. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Machine Wars! remember Bay don' like them there aminal robits. :ev: 

17. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Ravage, Scorponok and Laserbeak disagree.

18. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

Just like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the movie has characters heavily influenced by G1 characters, even if they don't look exactly the same.

Optimus Prime may transform into a truck, but when does he is still Optimus Prime. It is the same with every generation of Transformers. At its heart every story is the same, and it is no different with the movies. Just look at Incepticon's post for some good examples.

My Little Pony changed all the time, for better or for worse (mostly worse until G4 came around honestly). It's probably different since MLP was aimed at little girls and not boys who became men who take toys seriously, but I still think the My Little Pony fanbase is one of the best I've seen. I'm not counting weird furries for obvious reasons. Radicons (Fuck it, that's what I'm gonna call Transformer fans) should act more like bronies and... whatever they call the girls.

edit: oh yeah, one more thing. can't go having a voltron movie and saying transformers names, that would just be stupid. "New series, new characters, new everything" is a little flawed since that would be an entirely different show. it needs to stay the same on some level, and I think every transformers generation has done that well. even kiss players follows the war premise.

19. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Optimus had plenty of time to take that shot before Hot Rod arrived.. Not Hot Rods fault. :) 

20. modzprime29

modzprime29 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Is an opinion, not a fact, put IMO at the end because G1 is the best is not a fact, and not everyone thinks it's better the movies including me, I think the worst of all transformers series. Back on topic, I agree with you TheBeastMan,I find it annoying how people say Rachet shove been white, iron hide shove been red, why was roadbuster roadbuster if he had the colors of wheeljack, why was topspin topspin if he had mirages color. That's so irritating and annoying and agree with you 100%!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.