The MMA discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tech Spec, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Watching my first Elite XC fight night (Le vs Shamrock one) some great matches on the card. Alot of striking and less ground work, really enjoying the fight card line up. Watching Le and Shamrock match right now in the 3rd round, can't believe they are both sticking to the stand up game :rock 

2. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

WOOOOOT!!! FEDOR VS TIM SYLVIA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rumoured to be around July 16th.

3. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    There is a lot of (somewhat silly I suppose) speculation that Dana White let Slyvia go to fight Fedor to potentially spoil the Fedor/Randy fight. He can't give in to Fedor's demands, so he might as well spoil the party with a fighter who is now expendable and in limbo.

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    What about the supposed Kurt Angle vs. Randy Couture fight? Anyone heard any news on that? Or Frank Trigg going to TNA.

A whole lot of WTF going on right now.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

wow for a couple of reasons...

1) UFC in Portland, Oregon...yay
    2) Couture back in UFC...never saw that coming
    3) He's fighting Brock....Brock's bigger but i see Brock losing

and does this make Couture champ again???

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. OmegaScourge

more on Couture
    wow...Couture in UFC, and the possibility of Fedor in UFC....and against each other...that right there will be the biggest PPV.

7. Primus

News Credits:
    I heard about this the other day. I need to hear more before I comment too fully but I'm not sure Lesnar would deserve to fight Couture yet.

I do hope he's back in the UFC though.

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I couldn't find the yahoo source.

I guess we will wait and see.

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Pushed back an hour. Surprise surprise.

Next it will be "tomorrow"

Then it will be "Well, it was just an announcement for employees!"

10. The_Bardock

Well Fedor just signed a long term deal with affliction,so the randy fight will just have to wait longer.

11. funkatron101

Ebay:
    This fight ain't happening. We are talking late 2009, to 2010 maybe. Which would make his 47. Randy needs to make this fight happen sooner rather than later. Not to mention the ring rust he most likely has. If he loses to Brock, the Fedor fight is off. If he loses to Nog/Mir, the fight is off. Even if he beats both, they still have to sign Fedor.

Each time Dana opens his mouth, he closes the window on Fedor little by little. The constant jabs about Fedor being "insignificant" a "fuckin' joke," etc. You are not going to goat a professional fighter like him by using playground kid tactics.

This is a job to Fedor, that is all. He isn't concerned about the notoriety of being the best, or getting caught up in silly hype. He just wants to provide for his family, wants to continue his passion for sambo, and wants to please his fans.

12. Superion1701

Superion1701 Supreme Leader

Awesome news, glad to see Randy back!

13. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I woudln't be suprised if Randy did this to get away from Fedor. I seriously wouldn't blame him for it even though I have th greatest respect for the man. I'm not sure Randy can contend with Brock's stength though and the fact people seem to forget that he is a champion wrestler. Couture has experiance though for sure.

The UFC Heavyweight Division means nothing w/o Fedor. I for one hope he stays with Affliction and they continue to grow. At least they pay their talent.

14. funkatron101

Ebay:
    They had a friendly sparing match at a photoshoot I believe. It is said that Randy went 100%, while Fedor was toying with him. Fedor got him in a kimura.

Then you must not have heard about the massive pay cuts they are trying to enforce for their next event. Up to 50% reduced pay. It's only a matter of time before they fold.

15. Primus

News Credits:
    I think Randy has bills and they need to be paid. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just that he couldn't hold out until his contract expired without a big money match. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if he's getting a percentage of the gate for the event.

16. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I think you are right. I believe one of his gyms closed down or something, that probably took a hit. Plus almost all of the headliners get a percentage of the PPV buys.

I'm curious to see if and how this effects Mark Cuban's organization. I thought he was the one flipping the bill for Couture's legal battle. If that is the case, then that is a pretty big slap in the face.

17. The_Bardock

I'm going to take the whole randy going 100% with a grain of salt, there is no way they could have known that, unless he said I was going 100%

18. OmegaScourge

there were like a interview or something on Sherdog where he says the reason he stopped the fight with UFC was that it would of taken a long time to settle and he can't wait for ~5 years to start fighting again...can't blame him, at 45, he's up there.

19. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

I doubt it and even a 50% in most cases is alot more then UFC pays. Big doof I mean Tim got 800k near 8X what he made for most UFC fights as Champion (He got 100k for his fight with Couture and was getting 60k-100k in his old fights with Arloski). They are making so much $$ off the Affliction T-shirts and have alot of investors, Donald Trump for one. They are close to signing Tito to a deal and he is a cash cow kaaa-ching if they can get him. They sold over 100k PPV for the 1st event but will not do half for this one I bet.

They only reason they would be taking a pay-cut is because they know w/o Fedor or another real big name (Arlovski doesn't count really as a mega-superstar) they will not have near the PPV as they would with a huge star. I bet they still make on average better then what the UFC pitifully pays their talent.

Randy coming back will help the UFC for a bit but the division still doesn't mean anything w/o Fedor and the only reason Randy went back to the UFC was to duck Fedor. I can't blame him though, Fedor is the man.

20. The_Bardock

Randy doesn't seem like the kind of guy to duck someone