The MLB (Major League Baseball) 2018 Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sylent, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Baseball's Winter meetings are underway and already the biggest splash (unless you've been living under a rock) was Stanton duping the Giants and Cardinals to go to the Yankees.

Stanton happy to escape Miami, join Yankees

I'm just glad he didn't go to the rival Dodgers. We'll see what happens when teams make deals and players start shifting to new squads. There's going to be a great deal of activity this off-season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

As a Yankees fan I am happy about this Stanton, Judge and Sanchez together what can anybody do about those 3.

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Eh, this Stanton trade was completely useless. We (Yanks) didn't need him at all. Yes, we got him for a steal. Having said that, he is a $295MM steal. It's like we don't learn our lesson with stupid contracts for hitters. Elsburry? ARoid? Come on!

What really pisses me off, is that last year we didn't go after Verlander because we wanted to remain under the salary cap this year. If we would have spent on a pitcher, WHICH WE NEED, then we would have won the WS last year. Now, we spend the same money we could have gotten Verlander for and use that money on a hitter we didn't need. What?!

Also a large problem is where to play everyone. Where is Judge gonna play now? I hear that him and Stanton will go back and forth between DH and right field. Okay, then what happens to Sanchez? He really is a poor catcher, so if we have to move him, it will be first or DH. Problem is, Bird is at first, and if he stays healthy, he may have a better year then Sanchez and even Judge (dare I say!) We may end up with a goofy situation with Gardner in center, Judge in Right, Stanton in left, Sanchez at DH. Which also screws us, since Hicks was doing really well.

Maybe they can teach Stanton to play third. But I don't think he has the reflexes for that.

This whole move reminds me of the NY Giants this offseason. We needed O Line men, and instead got a WR and a TE to help stretch the field. How you gonna stretch the field when you have no one to block for the QB for enough time to hit the guy all the way down the field?

How you gonna win games when Tanaka's elbow acts up and CC falls back down to earth? (If we even sign him).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  4. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Yankees should now be permanently banned from the postseason or at least either Judge or Stanton.

5. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I hope Stanton goes back to playing like crap like he did two years ago. Nothing but strikeouts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sylent

7. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Marlins traded away Ozuna as well yesterday.

It’s too bad they built that stadium already, because I would just say take that team out of the state. At best they are a farm team for the rest of the league, and at worst a lying thief of an organization to a community that doesn’t include enough loyal fans (whether the team is good or not). It’s a disgrace to professional baseball, and I say that as someone who grew up in South Florida and listened to every Marlins game on the radio as a kid.

I hope Stanton hits 70 in New York.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's the problem with all Miami teams. No one gives a shit out there. When the Heat were winning championships, the turn out was horrible. For baseball, it is way to hot and humid. Maybe if they build a domed ballpark it may have drawn more. However, they always draw like shit.

I don't blame Jeter and company for what he is doing there. You need TV revenue and for people to show up in today's baseball to field a good team. The Marlins don't have their own TV network, and they have the 28th worst attendance levels only behind Tampa and Oakland. The best teams average almost 2x that. They need to have a bottom 3 payroll and be like Oakland and Tampa where they build a really strong farm system.

But, I agree with you, I see no reason for Miami to have a team. It's obvious, even when they field a winning product, no one there cares. See if you can change that stadium to a soccer stadium and make a team there that plays in the South America leagues. That will have a big turn out.

9. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Yo, Ding Dong man. Ding Dong. Ding Dong, yo.

Exactly.
    It still makes me angry to think the Marlins have never won a division title, have only been to the playoffs twice...and won the WS both times, which is one more than my Braves did during their run of 14 straight division titles.

Even in the 6 years between their 2 WS championships, they were the subject of "contraction" discussion, to eliminate them as a team altogether, because of poor attendance and lack of support. Why do Braves fans get so much crap for being lousy fans, when the Marlins couldn't even draw when they were successful, and 2 years after a title were at the bottom in attendance again?? Those fans don't deserve the success the team brought them.

10. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

11. spikebuster

News Credits:
    Man this is an extremely SLOW Free agency period.

12. Sylent

Yeah, after the Stanton deal to the Yankees and the kid from Japan went to the Angels, there hasn't been much activity. The Giants signed Evan Longoria, but haven't done anything else. We still have an entire outfield to replenish.

13. Sylent

Jay Bruce to the Mets for 3 year deal

Sources: Mets, Bruce reach 3-year, $39M deal

You're telling me the Giants couldn't afford that? It looks like we'll being opening 2018 with Gorkees Hernandez (a career .200 hitter) in Center, a platoon of Williamson and Parker in left and Hunter Pence in right... if he can stay healthy.

14. Sylent

15. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Fuck Bob Nutting. He always does this, and then blames the fans for not showing up so they can pay them properly. Hey jackass, I know a lot of die hard Pirates fans that have only experienced one good season in 2 decades. They’re always going to show up. To get everyone else to show up, you have to put together a team of good players that people want to root for instead of trading all the above average ones. It’s flat out embarrassing that he can’t turn a franchise like this around

16. Mudslide

Mudslide Grieving Son

Congrats to Chipper Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Jim Thome and Trevor Hoffman, HOF class of 2018!

17. Sylent

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens snubbed again...

18. spikebuster

News Credits:
    Good.

19. Sylent

What I find odd is that Bud Selig, the man who turned a blind eye and is pretty much responsible for the Steroid Era was voted into the HOF while those that ALLEGEDLY used are not. That's not right.

20. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter: