The Military presence in the films...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Godzilla Ranger, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

My problem with the Navy's BFG was how it came out of nowhere and fundamentally neutered the badass-ness of Devastator.

It feels like there wasn't any foresight on Bay's part for how he was going to deal with Devastator. He was spending all this time setting up Devastator as this unstoppable, crazy huge, uber-destructive monster, and when the time came to "dispatch" Devs, nobody could figure out an intelligent way to get one of the bots to do it, so Bay just said "Eh, why don't we just have the Military blow it up? Just have Simmons say 'Thank God you have this super-secret, monster-killing gun conveniently located within shooting distance of this monster.' And then they kill it."

Maybe that's my beef with the military portrayal, especially in TF2. The Autobots can't figure out what to do, and can't beat the bad guys, so the screenwriters just have the military drop a MOAB on everything and it fixes the problem.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'm not too fussed. I'm used to the whole 'America Saves the Day' trope from long exposure to action films and frankly don't care unless it does one of two things:

1- Blatantly changes or rearranges history in a period film like U-571.

2- Takes away from characters that I'm actually there to see, like in Transformers (although that seems to vary on movie)

The hugest irony to all of this is that if Megatron sat down for more than five minutes, he'd realise he could have the advantage if he simply got his spaceship in working order, or got another one from Cybertron.

3. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

I like the military in the films alright, especially after watching the behind-the-scenes stuff for getting it all coordinated. Sure as heck beats the Mechanibals, The Mechanic, or Micromasters wrestling humans in my mind.

4. Gieferg

Gieferg Well-Known Member

I think that ROTF final battle was too much focused on soldiers. In the Mission City battle Autobots have something to do, but in the desert battle they were just standing & shooting in the background with exception of Bee and Optimus at the end. This battle was boring because of this, and I am sick and tired of seeing military personnel giving coordinates, gunships approaching battlefield and never show up again etc It's complete waste of time.