The Military presence in the films...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Godzilla Ranger, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a movie where the robots emphasized their being in disguise, you could have the whole world, save from one young protagonist, be completely oblivious to TF existence.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    No.

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

As much as I liked the first movie, I saw it as one big advertisement for the Military, Apple, and Chevy. I didn't get too much of a Military sense in TF2, but then I haven't watched all of it yet.

4. Skyjack

Skyjack Well-Known Member

The Military presence in the films...

Will save the day again! THE MILITARY with the transformers 3 will ROCK!

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'd be fine with the Military in TF3 if "they" became Headmasters!

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:

That's just it. You can have a movie with military, computers and cars in it, without it becoming a movie that actively promotes those things.

7. err76

err76 Well-Known Member

I think it is the price of freedom. You think if China and Russia want to war with each other and use the United States as its battleground that were just going to kick it on the sideline. The United States is the last remaining superpower in the world. If giant alien robots came to the planet and began a war the entire world would stop and ask themselves "What is the U.S. planing and how can we help"? Like I said at the top, It is the price of freedom, If you do not like it either do not watch the movie or Canada is not to far from New York.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think there is a big difference though.

If Russia decided hey we've had enough of the Americans lets go kick their butts they would stand out. Not too hard to go hey that's a Mig, that's a T-90 or hey that's a Russian uniform on that guy with the AK-47. Not too hard to get up in arms and go fight the people who are standing out in a large army as the bad guys.

But the Transformers don't play by those rules. They are more like insurgents who pop up in small groups and then can blend back in with all our cars and aircraft. Sure the military would want to strike back at these alien invaders but just like you can't shoot everyone in civilian garb because the bad guys aren't playing by the rules of war you can't expect the military to shoot every car in the US on the off chance it's an alien.

Realistically it seems like the only way the military could hit the Transformers would be to strike back once the Decepticons had hit them first. Just like we've had to do in every conflict where the bad guys bad guys blended in with the civilians.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    They fit nicely into the story in the first film...in the second film, their arrival always seemed forced - "Look, the cavalry is here to save the day (again)!"

I could go with less mlitary scenes and more robot fighting, though. Any day of the week.

10. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

I love the military, but I don't like seeing them get utterly manhandled. So, please let the Transformers beat one another up?

11. Tekfreak

Tekfreak Well-Known Member

if big robots came to earth and blew shit up in plain view, the military is going to get involved.

12. Thunderchild

Thunderchild Well-Known Member

Hmmm

My opinion is biased because I am in the military, Navy to be exact. So naturally I like it, especially because Bay coordinates with the military to capture the accuracy of our operations. In that way I can connect with the movie a little more. I was stationed on a carrier (CVN-65) for many years, I was the guy on the flight deck with the red float coat on. Go back and watch that scene in ROFT, you see a few red shirts die on that ship... the imagery is realistic for me, and as such I can relate to the movie that much more.

FYI the "B.F.G." used to kill Devastator is real. Our new Destroyers will carry them, and the Navy hopes to have them fully intergrated no later than 2018. HERE is a pdf article on it.

Stupid...really? I hope your are not an American.

13. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    I thought the millitary was handled very well in the first film. I kinda liked that they actually did something. Not everything, but they were able to take down a decepticon and helped to take megatron down. It seems that in alot of other sci-fi/superhero/action, movies the millitary or the police don't do squat, and always let the protagonist handle it. I liked it that they were actually there for support. In ROTF though, I think the millitary's pressence got alittle too out of hand and it really just became them vs the decepticons. Like I said, I'm fine with them playing a support role, but I think the focus should be on the autobots vs. the decepticons.

14. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    So what... humans are supposed to sit back in their lawn chairs and watch two factions of a giant alien race fight each other on their planet??? No, the humans would fight along side the faction that wants to protect them... wait that IS what's happening in the movies.

It's reality, if humans are threatened they will fight not sit back and let someone else do it for them.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yeah... lets keep the military out of it.

But what if the Decepticons beat the Autobots? "Oh Militaryyyyyy......"

Well, some will at least. But ROTF already show the US Government already willing to appease the giant aliens from outer space by handing over 1 of their own.

16. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Yeah, I remember reading about that, seems way cool.

17. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I could do without the military in the films.

Just when it looks like things are getting good, boom! The military shows up and ruins the movie.

I don't care for army movies at all really. I want some scifi and giant robots.

And if the military has to be in the movie why can't they be interesting like a bunch of G.I. Joes or something? The real military is boring as hell and ironically more cold and robotic than the robots.

"Sir yes sir!", bam bam bam. "Call in an air strike" cut to dark room with old army guys sitting around and talking about blah blah blah.

It really dosnt capture the feel of the Transformers at all. In real war you don't have the leaders of two armies going head to head in one on one combat. There are no rivalries with awesome characters. There are no quirky personalities and kick ass one liners. There are no cool scifi weapons and spaceships and giant dinosaur robots.

Theres just... war. It just dosnt feel interesting IMO.

Also, on a side note, I don't care for the way the TF's fight in the movie. It's bad enough they look like scrap but all the fights boil down to grappling and ripping the little metal scrappy bits off of each other to the point where you have to wonder how they can still transform with all of it bent or missing. Not to mention all the face stealing.

I think the movies should stop trying so hard to be realistic and try to just be fun or cool.

18. example

example Well-Known Member

I don't mind the military but they should suck at killing Decepticons. They should only be able to kill one per movie.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP #VernoWasRight

News Credits:
    Because the military would really just step aside and let giant robots fight on Earth and endanger the people.

20. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Erm...yes. It is. You can go watch footage of the Navy testing their railgun on friggin YouTube. It exists. No, it's not on a ship yet but that's what the plan is.