The MetroidVania Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by JukeOutlander, Jun 5, 2019.

1. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    Is it okay to make a genre-thread? If not, mods pls close or I'll just rename this or something. Just seemed kinda redundant to open a new thread each time a new one comes out?

Anyways, Bloodstained should probably start shipping out soon for backers. Then suddenly this popped up with a remake of their trailer; I completely forgot about this one til recently. Kinda wish I backed this one too.

Totally looking forward to this. It's equal parts scary and bad ass. Hope the game's world is as big as Hollow Knight.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The best genre.

• Like Like x 1
  3. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Jesus...

4. Terrorpin

Terrorpin Well-Known Member

While not my favorite genre, there are still quite a few of these that I like. And I'm super-excited for Bloodstained. Just reeeaallly hoping it's not Mighty Number 9. Also Hollow Knight Silksong, because the first one kicked my ass and I couldn't stay away. Then of course there's the old-school Castlevanias. And while I never *quite* warmed up to Metroid, the style of the game and Samus herself has always been of interest to me.

5. JukeOutlander

News Credits:
    ^I played some GBA Metroid demo but that's about it, but the franchise is really interesting. Hollow Knight's pretty solid. Salt and Sanctuary's pretty good, too; it even allows you to wield whips. While I'm excited for Bloodstained, a part of me would've liked it to be old school pixel art ala SotN.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  6. JukeOutlander

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Ok, I figure this would be a good place to ask, now that I actually have a PS4...

So, what would be considered the best Metroidvanias on the console?
    I’m already planning to get Bloodstained, and I’ve heard a lot about Hollow Knight. It’s just hard to keep track of them all, since it seems like a popular genre among indy developers.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Guacamelee, Shadow Complex, Axiom Verge and Strider 2014 if you haven't already played them elsewhere.

I'm well behind on playing more recent stuff in the genre unfortunately, but i'm sure somebody else can recommend.

9. UndertakerPrime

...and I would have bought them both in a heartbeat if I didn’t already own all but 2 of those games on their original consoles, and 1 of those 2 (Rondo of Blood) on Wii (the only game in either collection I don’t already own in any form is Kid Dracula :p )

• Like Like x 1
  10. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Hyped for Bloodstained and the Castlevania Collection. Can't wait!

• Like Like x 1
  11. UndertakerPrime

I tried searching for a Bloodstained thread because I swear there was one at some point, but nothing came up. So I’ll put this in here.

I’m stoked for Ritual of the Night. Nice late Father’s Day gift. No actual reviews yet, but general opinion from early players is that it’s a 10 hr game when you do no exploration, deviations from the main story, or mining for rare items. That means 20+ hours the way I play, and puts it on par with most Igavanias.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve heard good things about all those as well. I tried the Strider 2014 demo a while back and it didn’t really tickle my fancy for some reason, but maybe I need to give it another shot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JukeOutlander

News Credits:
    10 hours without exploration? I hope it's about the same length as Hollow Knight. I backed the project but I never followed the updates. Wanted to play as spoiler free as possible. Hopefully there are a lot of good side quests.

13. UndertakerPrime

I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but from what I’ve read, that is about the same as SotN and a few other Igavanias if you happen to know exactly where you’re going and don’t bother doing anything else. One person reported over 24 hours for a more thorough exploration.

When I get a chance I’ll check my old PSX memory cards for my SotN saves. I’m curious what my playtimes are.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

10 hours for a 2D platformer is a pretty generous amount of content regardless.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's here folks! Hell yeah!

D9Tm_I5U4AAFDcz.jpg D9Tm_58UwAA2KE9.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  16. JukeOutlander

News Credits:
    ^Rofl it's in my mail box. Thought it'd be here tomorrow or something.

@flamepanther I guess. I do take time to explore so. _20190617_203529.JPG I like how the shipping box has the logo too lolz.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  17. UndertakerPrime

So far, I'm reading a lot of good things about Bloodstained. I'm hoping to pick mine up at some point this evening.
    It does sound like there's a few technical issues, and most I've heard about seem to revolve around the language setting. One person reported a corrupted save when they tried changing the language from German to English.

• Like Like x 1
  18. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

19. gregles

gregles quintesson

Great little sub-genre.

I’ve been pretty immersed in symphony of the night lately. I’m at 196.8% complete having powered through main and upside down map, and I’m getting used to using the Belmont character for another run though.

I might get the new compilation of the other games after I’m done with symphony of the night and mondo of blood.

I really like how the old doom games had a maze-like quality with hidden stuff to uncover and revisit for. Bloodborne feels a lot like a modern 3D update on the the metroidvania design and I’m a little ignorant of the modern sequels but I always thought the devil may cry games could benefit from freeling a bit more maze-like rather than so linear on the rails.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Def picking it up. Walmart has it on PS4 for $33.
    Mine didnt get the Xbox version in for some reason. Will grab it from gamestop for 40 tomorrow.

The reviews are glowing. Better than SotN, really??