The Mega Construx Mega-Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by jestermon, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel > Cat Flu

News Credits:
    Neat. I had hoped that would be the case when I went hunting this last weekend but coming across a set of the green eggs at one store and finding th at another that wasn't even listed on brickseek made me question my hypothesis.

2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    So, for context, I haven’t bought any Halo Mega Construx figures/sets in years. My recent MOTU acquisitions as well as the Alien Queen are my first Mega anything in years, but I neglected to get anything Halo at first.

You see, I got into Halo through Mega Bloks back in 2011 when I was 13. My friend had the original Arctic Warthog set and gave me one of his Spartans the first time I met him. Thats what led me down the rabbit hole of Halo, and Mega Bloks.

Man, back in the day I thought I had it all. The Pelican, The Elephant, The Phantom, and anything and everything in between. I remember one time I BEGGED my Grandmother to take me to Toysrus after a Doctors appointment, and I literally used all my money on the current blindpack series at the time and got about 16 of the original Flame Marines. She couldn’t understand why I was so happy over getting so many of the same guy, but I was just so stoked to have such an army.

As the years went by, some of my interest in Halo wained. I had played all the games I had, and while I was on the Halo 5 hype train super hard, it was such a let down for me. I think thats when I stopped. And when I moved in 2016, I purged a lot of things. That massive collection had fallen into shambles at that point. It was hard time in my life, and so I let it all go...

After picking up the singles He-Man and Skeletor a few weeks ago on a whim, just to add my “80’s stuff” collection. I slowly started to think about both Halo and MC once more. The recent Infinite trailers and gameplay only helped my interest build. I had heard both from here and from Reddit about Dollar Generals having stuff in. So I went in other day to pick up some medicine, saw two old Blindpacks series, and picked three up just for the heck of it.

It was a very, very bad day to say the least. I didn’t think I was going to make it through the night. But when I opened up that first bag..... I saw that I had gotten a Golden Master Chief, and boy did that bring back so many good memories.
    18396EF6-2E42-475D-9D09-201B02167C88.jpeg

I’m not going to say I’m back, but Halo for about five years was a huge part of my life. I remember literally two years in a row the only stuff I asked for, for Christmas was Halo Mega Bloks. I’ll never forgot unwrapping the Elephant and Phantom and sitting down all night literally until my legs were sore building them. I’ll never forget the many, many schoolnights I stayed up till 3 in the morning watching all of Red Vs Blue. I’ll never forgot going and spending the weekend at my friends house when we would stay up all night playing Forge Mode on Reach. I’ll never forget downloading all the Halo Soundtracks on my OG Ipod mini and listening to it all the time..

I don’t know if I really ready to go back to Halo. You can have so many good memories of something, but when it has that much baggage it’s hard to find a way to bring it back to you. Like fishing a suitcase out of a river. All that water makes it so much heavier. But getting that Golden Master Chief on such a bad day.

I think, if the new Xbox is backwards compatible, I might just have to get it, and all the games once again and play through the whole series for the first time in a long, long while. To return to a Great Love I once held. The sets today are different then the ones I had a kid, but thats okay I suppose. It won’t ever be the same me for, though. Not unless I can one day own them again.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Armageist

Armageist Well-Known Member

Well then it's just the jaw that's 80's nostalgia.

I'll once again bring up breakout beasts at least having articulated jaws.

4. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pantano almost done, I had to cut the top of the armor to fit his head on enough to move and not scuff the paint.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

WTH?! I just noticed the cross emblem is coming off this He-Man figure.

89883E34-2B8E-4560-8EB4-CAF352C4F7BD.jpeg 0755AF50-7D40-4438-9312-B60A7A0ABA7E.jpeg

Well, this sucks and makes me rethink the entire line. I don’t have much experience with MCX but did not think these were decaled instead of painted. Who thought that was a good idea for a tiny rubber piece that stretches and moves so much? I’m sure the answer is some cost cutting reason but damn.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Evac

Evac decepticons 4ever

Ebay:
    sweet my amazon purchase came in

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Armageist

Armageist Well-Known Member

Man that is all kinds of nope. Maybe they couldn't get a paint pad print to stick on the flexible rubber?

Wait until that rubber chest plate ends up drying out/ripping or tearing.

8. Slave IV

Yeah. It’s kinda hard to tell but there seems to be a clear film over the whole harness piece that is mostly clear but has color where it’s should be painted. Again, I can’t think of any reason to do it that way unless it has some cost cutting purpose but it basically means you can’t really play with these “toys” without the color literally falling off them.

9. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

What he-man is that that has a dirty hair wash?

10. Slave IV

Castle Grayskull version. Haha, I noticed that too from the close up pics but I wonder if that wash will peel off too? :cool: 

11. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Ah, I have like 10 he-men, but I haven't looked at the grayskull version up close, as my son confiscated the set, built it, and keeps it on his shelf. I was robbed. When it comes off the shelf, Lego X-Men Sentinels and Angry Bird Pigs keep the Ninjago ninjas and Guardians of the Galaxy imprisoned there, requiring daring escapes.

Many adventures are had on eternia, none actually involving the Masters, but he keeps the figures and set together, lest there be a disturbance in the brick universe. He's a tiny President Business.

IMG_20190714_113646358_HDR_resize.jpg
    IMG_20190714_113701531_HDR_resize.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Slave IV

Haha sweet! Nice Sentinels too.

13. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    Wow, that sucks.

14. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Gunpla and Cow Master

An Acrylic will go on that flexible plastic if you want to repaint it.

-
    Meanwhile, I had dinner with my parents tonight, and took some spare parts for my dad to use with his Lunar Lander.... he said he doesn't want my help anymore..

20200813_195204.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Slave IV

Thanks! I’ll look into it. Are Gundam markers acrylic based?

16. Hadlen_Weltall

I think they're more of a quick drying enamel, but it might work?
    *It's been a while since I've used Paint Type Gundammarkers.

17. Slave IV

Ok thanks. I guess maybe that’s another reason they make so many He-Mans?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hadlen_Weltall

*Shrug*
    Can't say I know.
    As for repainting it, I'm just so accustomed to bottled model paint and acrylic works best on these figures. Five minutes with a fine point brush and a good red acrylic will make that armor look much better than what they sell.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    This is awesome, exactly what toys are meant to be. Thanks for sharing it made me smile!

20. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    What set did those spartans come in? Or is that your handywork?