The Masterpiece Character Guide (or "do they have an MP yet", and what substitutes?)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by eyescovered, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Mook73

Mook73 Member

Ebay:
    Fingers crossed that it will happen.

I already have the ToyWorld version. Just hoping to have OP to match up with my MPM Bumblebee :) 

2. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    how do you like the TW version? mine is currently being shipped.

3. Mook73

Mook73 Member

Ebay:
    I like it for the movie-accurate look, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I have to file the side panels quite a bit to make the alt mode flush almost perfectly.

4. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    hmm, geez. thanks for the tip!

5. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    Added:
    GCreation GDW-02B Dust (IDW Smokescreen)
    Transform Element TE-?? (G2 Mirage)
    X-Transbots MX-III-T Eligos (G1 Cyclonus)

Updated:
    Generation Toy *GT-10W Gorilla*
    TransArtToys *BWM-02 SkateboardGorilla*
    Transform Element TE-03 *Speed Star*
    Wei Jiang *M09 Commander Leader*

Released:
    Devil Saviour DS-04 Smash
    Fans Hobby MB-12 Athena
    Fans Toys F-42 Hunk
    Generation Toy GT-10A Great White Ape
    Mastermind Creations PS-16 Volatus
    Takara MP-49 Black Convoy
    Takara MPM-10
    TransArt BWM-02 Skateboard Gorilla
    Transform Element MM-01 Interstellar Wasp Tiger
    Transform Element TE-03 Speed Star
    Wei Jiang M09 Commander Leader
    Zeta Toys ZA-07 Bruticon

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeGoisis

DeGoisis The Big Bad Robot

Why WJ Thunder Leader is not listed among the alternatives for 2007 Optimus?

7. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    KOs are only listed if they fill a character role and are unique.

8. DeGoisis

DeGoisis The Big Bad Robot

Well, it’s an improved KO, significantly different (even in size) from the original MPM.
    That said I don't wanna start a debate, but I just noticed that also WJ Commander is not listed as AOE Evasion Optimus, wich has no official MPM.

9. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    Agreed, don't want to start a debate on KOs. I own some myself. I will add some more from time to time as necessary.

10. Goose24

Goose24 Active Member

Fine tuning my collection a little bit and deciding to go more with a "get really good models of your favorite bots" style now and am focusing in on getting 6-8 masterpiece(ish) bots for display. I already have Grimlock (2010 Toys R Us Masterpiece) and Bumblebee (MP-21 - not a huge Bee fan but I found one for $40 and figured it's a good way to get a decent look at the MP line without a huge investment). I also had Megatron (THF-03) arriving today, so I'm fine going third party (and even have to with some bots). Looking at the other bots below and would love feedback from people who have done the same. I've done searches of the board and watched a lot of Emgo reviews, but more data is never a bad thing in a situation like this.

Soundwave - MP-02/MP-13. Seems to be a universal one that is beloved. Just going to grab one when I find a good deal. Would prefer 02 for the extra tapes, but I'm pretty indifferent about that as Laserbeak is my favorite tape anyway.

Jazz - MTRM-09R Downbeat. I pre-ordered this. Seems to be the best option for Jazz. Hoping the new one is as good as the original.

Optimus Prime - TE-01 has been pre-ordered for the new release, but I'm willing to be talked out of it if people feel strongly. I like the look of it more than the Magic Square. MP-44 is great, but I won't use most of those accessories and it's $300+ more than TE-01.

Rodimus Prime - It looks like it's either DX9 Carry or MP-09. It sounded like MP-09 had lots of QC issues but that's fixed, but it's now looking like it's pretty hard to find. I think I'm leaning DX9 but am open for any feedback on this one as Rodimus and my next one seem to be the two I'm having the hardest time with.

Galvatron - I keep going back and forth on this one. I think I'd prefer Fans Toys Sovereign, but the ridiculous price tag on it scares me off - especially because I don't dislike DX9 Tyrant. Judging by the thread discussing it in the third party board, it looks like this is somewhat evenly split between people here. I feel like if I could land Sovereign for $200 vs Tyrant for $160 I would, but I doubt I'll find Sovereign for $200 any time soon as it looks like the preorder has sold out everywhere and scalper prices on eBay and Mercari are insane.

If anyone has any of these bots or went through these same deliberations I'd love your feedback.

Thank you all. I appreciate all of your feedback, even if my wallet doesn't.

11. Hot Rod 1986

Hot Rod 1986 Member

Ebay:
    I know some (many?) will probably disagree, but I really love Open Play Big Cannon. It's not as detailed as some of the other Masterpiece-sized options, but I love the simplicity of the figure. It looks terrific in both modes, it's easy to transform. It's the Galvatron I've always wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Downbeat is fab. K won't be switching for a TT version if one ever gets released.

I've got the TRU Soundwave with all tapes, but he has yellow eyes like the toy, not red like the cartoon. I bought a kit with a new head. MP13 has red eyes. It was actually reissued last year but QC was really poor. Be careful to don't get a shitty copy.

Can't comment on Prime, I have MP44. Had MP10.

Can't decide on Rodimus myself!

Just waiting for my Sovereign M reissue to arrive, so can't comment there just yet, but the basic view is bot mode is excellent but alt mode is poor. I've looked at it and don't think it looks much different to the cartoon, so don't have a problem.

One thing I will say. You're on a toy looking Grimlock and Bumblebee. Not sure about your Megatron.

Soundwave is more toy than toon, although he could pass. I'm going to be selling mine in the near future to get Fans Toys or a v2 from TT.

Galvatron is pretty toon.

TE is toon. As is MP44. MP10 is more toy/realistic.

Downbeat is in between. If you're in in the Premium version then unless the decals are optional you're getting a more toy/real version than the original.

It's your shelf, but you might want to consider how a hyper toon figure fits with one that is less so. YMMV. Good luck with your collection!

• Like Like x 1
  13. impossiball

impossiball Well-Known Member

Go get the THF ko of Soundwave, better joints and an additional piece (which is involved in the transformation) to cover the unsightly empty space in the back of the walkman

[​IMG]

The other tapes are available, too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mags2424

mags2424 TT and 3P MP Advocate

MP Soundwave is good but a dated design, FT has their own coming eventually.

Downbeat is a great figure and my favorite of the Jazz options. But again FT is eventually doing one.

TE-01 is a great G1 prime I have him and 44 and can't see getting rid of TE to just have 44. The 44 KO is also an option.

Rodimus I would wait for someone else to eventually do it. Carry is too stylized for me and 09 is old and has it's issues.

Galvatron Sovereign just looks leagues better to me. I would try to find a good deal on it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nestly

Nestly Member

Is MPM-3 the best 07 movie bumblebee? Not counting oversized. There isn't an improved KO or something?

16. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    Yes, there are KOs. The Legendary Toys one is a 1:1 copy with improved paint.

17. Nestly

Nestly Member

Is there anywhere to still buy one?

18. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    I checked a few Chinese retailers and eBay listings but did not see any for sale. I would keep an eye out on the BST boards or maybe ask in some Facebook groups.

• Like Like x 1
  19. eyescovered

eyescovered Guide

News Credits:
    Added:
    DX9 D?? Montana (G2 Breakdown)
    DX9 D?? Kukinski (G2 Dead End)
    DX9 D?? Giuliano (G2 Drag Strip)
    DX9 D?? Capone (G2 Motormaster)
    DX9 D?? Henry (G2 Wildrider)

Updated:
    Fans Toys FT-43 *Dunerunner*
    GCreation MTST-01 *M. Wrath*
    Takara MP-?? Starscream *Ver.2.0*
    ToyWorld *TW-F09B Commander of Tactical Operation*
    TransArtToys *BWM-03 Metal Leopard Commander*

Released:
    DX9 D?? Montana
    FansHobby MB-16A Machine Eagle
    Fans Toys FT-43 Dunerunner
    Fans Toys FT-44 Thomas
    GCreation MTST-01 M. Wrath
    GCreation GDW-01B Darkness Maxmas
    GCreation GDW-02B Dust
    Mastermind Creations Ocular Max PS-16 Probus
    TT Hongli PF-01 Red Falcon
    Keith's Fantasy Club EAVI Metal Phase 6:E Dregs
    Keith's Fantasy Club EAVI Metal Phase 6:F Gunker
    TFC Toys STC-01NB S.T. Commander Nuclear Blast ver.
    ToyWorld TW-F09 Freedom Leader Limited Version
    Unique Toys R-02V Challenger
    X-Transbots MX-II-T Andras
    X-Transbots MX-II-BT Bane
    X-Transbots MX-II-CT Curse
    X-Transbots MX-II-WT Wrath

• Like Like x 1
  20. decepticonaiden

decepticonaiden Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    So, I'm in the market for an MP Soundwave plus cassettes. I've found a non KO Soundwave, I'm gonna try and find the two cassette packs on ebay or amazon, and I'm going to preorder the Cassettebot Vs Cassettecon set. So that just leaves me with Ratbat. I've been toying with the idea of getting the KO, which seems to be $20 on ebay, but I'm not sure about it. Can any of you vouch for it, or perhaps provide me with a link to find an official one for a good price?