The Masterpiece Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

@rodimusconvoy MP-9 had regular issues with broken knee joints and shoulder joints. You can find replacement parts online, but if you're thinking of purchasing any version of that mold I would be prepared to take it apart and fix it, just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Instagram:
    Was having a little fun with Soundwave and the boys the other day... B3257CB0-7A92-42E2-9AB8-4A349A5F3917.jpeg 2BC11934-F1F8-47B0-9985-B678159D6B53.jpeg 132B58B6-E39F-4695-A967-1DC38FEBBC5E.jpeg 8789AB81-576F-4320-BF8E-93D89E1DE08C.jpeg 2E1D90EF-10FB-4C8D-8AF9-9591FB3F3B48.jpeg F361C5C1-3A5A-4099-B2DB-775FF96FC97B.jpeg

• Like Like x 33
  3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

A difficult question to ask in the Appreciation thread :D 

There are multiple releases with issues unique to each:
    - MP-9 first release: issues with the feet (spring in the ankles), issues with the paint on the spoiler, issues with the leg panels.
    - Hasbro version: shoulders desintegrated. Not through play, because some were already seperated in the box.
    - Black version: knees exploded (they were painted and the parts didn't allow for this)
    - second MP-9 release: the hinge connecting the canopy has a tendency to break, but since this is painted you won't see this until it's too late. (Appears to be a combination of clear plastic which is more brittle, and ill fitting parts.)

So far the third TT release (The Long Life version) doesn't seem to have any of these issues, but that can be a question of time -- as it was with the second TT version. But even if perfect, the design is fragile. There are many thin parts. Also, it's not really a fun figure to handle with all the panels and many parts not tabbing in very well. He also has issues holding his hands.

All that said, the Hot Rod part is without a doubt done very well. He just looks awesome, very accurate in altmode, very good in robotmode (with a nice nod to the toy with those angular parts next to his chest). The Rodimus Prime part, but alt and robotmode, is only so-so. Far less accurate. But until the recent SS86 version of Hot Rod, MP-9 was without a doubt the best looking, most accurate Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Movie Convoy

Movie Convoy Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    New accessories for MP-21 Bumblebee, Masterpiece Prowl, and Masterpiece Bluestreak arrived yesterday. HPIM0311.JPG HPIM0313.JPG

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 4:24 PM
    • Like Like x 13
  5. Stryker729

Stryker729 That’s rough, buddy

Why is Cordon so expensive? Real beauty of a figure too, especially in alt mode. Damn. Hoping it gets KO’d but I’m not holding my breath.

This isn’t really an appreciation thread question, but I guess I’m hunting for a MP car bot - but definitely not something like the toon heavy mp39. Cordon is super rad in alt mode with the police deco, and I can tolerate his toon body more with the toy based head-sculpt, but even he is a bit under-stylized for my tastes.

Was wondering if anyone knew of any super-articulated “MP-10 Aesthetic” carbots out there? Was looking at MT Downbeat simply because it seems to be a terrific and super articulated figure but he’s a bit overpriced for me.

Basically wanted something that matches the earlier parts of the MP line aesthetically, while having the more modern articulation packages. At a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance!

6. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    If you have a smartphone, install the Google Translate app on it. It can translate the instructions live for you, when you point your camera at the text. Very effective.

• Like Like x 2
  7. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. elburrito

elburrito Well-Known Member

downloadfile.jpg

There are many! Try wheeljack maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stryker729

I love how Wheeljack looks, and was highly considering a cheap KO of him or in the Exhaust colorway, but he doesn’t seem to have double jointed knees/elbows/ ab crunch. But with how cheap the KOs are, I may pick one up anyways. Thanks!

10. Movie Convoy

Movie Convoy Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    BBTS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MSWF377

MSWF377 Mike

Spinout is the same mold as Cordon and is about $50 cheaper in most places

12. TFtrial

TFtrial Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stryker729

Yeah, I did see that. I just don’t feel as strongly about him without that wonderful alt mode police deco. That being said, an Exhaust KO for 30-40 dollars is pretty tempting, just wish he had more poseability.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Im re-collecting my MP collection, and Im to the point of "should I get Rodimus Prime or not"? In one hand Im not sure if he follows the asthetics of the current line (Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron and some other recent releases) and in the other hand my OCD wont leave me alone as I will see his absence as a gap in my collection. I already have the other 2 Hot Rods, the regular one and the TM. What to do, what to do.....

Missing him, Shockwave and Hound as I write this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

If you want a MP Hot Rod get MP28 which you already have. MP-9 is a better MP Hot Rod as far as looks are concerned, but MP-28 scales better and is more durable.

If you want a MP Rodimus Prime...MP-9 is your only (current) official option. But do note that the figure was designed to be a Hot Rod first: the colours are wrong for Rodimus Prime (not pink enough for the movie, while he was burgandy in season 3), the face is too narrow, the body proportions aren't exactly right, he has these weird pieces on the side of the chest which Rodimus Prime never had (but the G1 Hot Rod toy did have), and his altmode is a giant cheat (I estimate that only 10-20% of the robot is used for the altmode: the remainder is a shell). Best looking MP Hot Rod made, so-so MP Rodimus Prime.

I'd say skip. And I say this as a TF fan who has liked the character of Rodimus Prime since his introduction, has always wanted a (good) representation of the character. Even when the reports came in regarding v1 I still considered buying it because I wanted a Rodimus Prime. When the v2 was announced, I immediately jumped on it. I did ignore the RP mode and just used the Hot Rod mode, because it looks better and handled better. But eventually I sold my v2. (Bought it back from the buyer a few days later for a few bucks when he came to me in tears with a figure broken in 3-4 places: backpack broken off, spoiler broken off, left lower leg shattered and the repaired canopy hinge cracking again.)

But if cartoon accuracy and buying official is your thing, this is your only option. MP-9 of waiting and hoping TT will release a new Rodimus Prime MP in the future.

(Personally, neither is important to me, but having a good looking, impressive Rodimus Prime that's fun to handle and transform is, so I went with DX9's Carry. Never looked back.)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 8:31 AM
  16. Shanxs

Shanxs Open your eyes. Can't you see?

Got the real Takara today.
    KO will go into alt mode for now. :) 
    IMG_20210224_134630.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  17. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Keep the money in your pocket and wait for the inevitable Rodimus Prime v2, that's what I would do. The v1 doesn't match the current aesthetics and can't be posed as well either. The v1 also had various flaws, even the latest rereleases. I only ever owned the Hasbro v1, but as soon as the scale got reset with MP-10, I sold him (for a small profit even), but kept the Targetmaster. Now my both my Hot Rods have a Targetmaster. ;)  Patience is virtue. We will get a v2 one day.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    9E77E453-D534-46C6-ACCC-F7E2AAB8AD3A.jpeg

• Like Like x 18
  19. Zentropy

Zentropy Needs more greeble

I’d buy it. If it were the dark blue Thundercracker, I’d literally kiss the person running the register and run out of the store giggling like a little girl.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Zentropy

Zentropy Needs more greeble

MP Wheeljack is one of my favorites, though I prefer MP-20 over the “+” version, which IMO looks like someone fell asleep while painting it and it was boxed up unfinished. MP-20 looks fantastic in car mode. The Alitalia livery is so iconic.

• Like Like x 1