The Masterpiece Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 When the Curtain Falls

Just the guys, hangin’ around:

upload_2019-10-18_19-12-46.jpeg

The pics were taken with my iPad since my good camera is packed up for a trip this weekend. I’ll try to get some better ones late on Sunday. This is the first of several ‘vignettes’ I have planned for my display. It’s is generally sized to fit on a detolf shelf, and the future ones will be modular with this one. Here are some other pics of it empty:

upload_2019-10-18_19-14-56.jpeg

upload_2019-10-18_19-15-21.jpeg

It’s all made out of styrofoam, extruded polystyrene insulation, and sculpt-a-mold. It’s a little more weathered than I would have liked. I had to go that route because I drew some of the panel lines with a ball point pen, and the ink bled through the acrylic, even with multiple coats. I guess it’s ok, since some of the matte background paintings were more detailed than the main animation. I’m going to do a Decepticon one next.

Again, shout out to @Agent 539 and @DFormers for the inspiration. Your work got my creative juices flowing!

• Like Like x 42
  2. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

That looks fantastic!

Looking forward to seeing your Decepticon version.

• Like Like x 1
  3. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    The Training of a Wingbot

Carly: Oh wow, Spike! It's got [excited techno babble]!

Spike: :D 

Optimus: [quietly] ...and if this goes well, Ratchet can figure out how humans multiply.
    20191018_193958.jpg

Ratchet: OH YEAH!!!!.... SCIENCE!!!!!
    20191018_193654.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 18
  4. DFormers

DFormers Active Member

YouTube:
    Nice job! I'm liking all the panel lining, looks really sharp. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Brilliant stuff! I wish I was more creative...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Imperator

Imperator The last, best hope for humanity

[​IMG]

Just four issues (US) into its run, Shockwave burst into the G1 Marvel comic and saw in the Budianski's era proper by blatting the entire cast until they were Are All Dead. In doing so he established two things. First, that this was a series to keep an eye on, and second, that the position of Decepticon leader was very much fluid. Command of the Decepticons would proceed to ping-pong back and forth between Megatron and Shockwave until they both ended up dead and Ratbat (see yesterday) got to assume control... until he was in turn offed by Scorponok just a few months after that.

Meanwhile in the cartoon, Shockwave just arsed around doing what he was told, like an absolute mug. What a waste. And if you'll indulge me with a tinfoil hat moment... is it possible that the cold, monotone robot voice was accidentally given to the similar-named Soundwave instead of the intended Shockwave? Hmmmmm?

Anyway, I like to imagine the readers of the comic feeling like they were in on some top-secret knowledge that their cartoon-only peers were ignorant of. That purple suckup with the massive rack was, in actuality, a master strategist with the cool logic of Spock and the ferocious determination of Khan, and thought nothing of trashing an entire town just to help teach Megatron - yes, that Megatron - who was boss. Of course, this was all in the time before I'd yet to master speech, let alone reading, so by the time I came to the comics Shockwave was long since out of the picture, and his reappearance late in the series' run meant very little to me. I was a child of the eras of Scorponok and Thunderwing. We'll get to them later.

You're kind of spoilt for choice with Shockwaves these days. While he doesn't have quite the ubiquity of, say, Starscream, Shockers does tend to show up remarkably regularly. In general they're pretty great toys as well - shout out to Combiner Wars Shockwave, a superb toy with the only drawback being small enough for other Decepticons to step on him. Modern times have given a pretty great traditional rendition in Siege, and the Bayverse, Prime and Energon iterations all give pleasing takes on the ol' Shockjock. So what am I, CHUG all the way through, doing with the Masterpiece version in my collection?

The short answer is I already had him on preorder when the Siege toy was announced, and couldn't bring myself to cancel it. But even so, I've always liked the idea of Shockwave being a big ol' bastard. That's probably the Marvel comic influence seeping through, with those stand-out moments like going crazy-go-nuts and chasing Buster across the desert, or the aforementioned fight with Megatron where they towered over the small American town that got so rudely in the way of their fight. As such, MP Shockin' Stevens stands as tall as a regular leader-class.

He's not especially complex for an MP, especially not these days with the over-the-top engineering seen in recent releases like MP-44. Mostly this is because there's no burden on Shockjaw to turn into a real-life vehicle or animal, and the original G1 toy wasn't all that different-looking in the first place. He's a beautifully-proportioned bot, and excellently poseable... except this is Shockwave, and a lot of over-the-top action poses end up being somewhat beneath his dignity. Luckily he looks just fine standing up straight, that light-piped eye gazing down with cold contempt on all he surveys.

Transform him and you get a handsome toy ray gun, though the tiny trigger is surprisingly fiddly for the hoofing great adult hands he's otherwise proportioned for. Yeah, it's a toy ray gun, which made it all the more funny seeing the comic try to keep a straight face and convince kids that, well actually, um, it's actually a flying space gun, actually. It just looks like a toy gun. To be honest, even 35 years on it's still fun holding it in your hand and blasting the neighbourhood cats with a deadly... soft purple glow. Well, at least it has lights. No sounds though, but that's okay. They'd be in Japanese anyway.

I feel like Shockwave's star is on the rise at the moment thanks to a prominent place in Cyberverse. He even managed to usurp Starscream's spot in the first wave of Cyberverse deluxe figures. It's good, but it'll never hold a candle to his finest appearance... that time he unexpectedly showed up on Megas XLR.
    [​IMG]

Green redeco when, Takara?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  7. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    5026A60F-79A3-44EC-BD65-9E44C52D72D0.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  8. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

_DSC3494.jpg

• Like Like x 24
  9. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    A belated in memorium for our late friend TCracker, I'm manly enough to admit, I wept openely making this.

Prime:
    Thanks for making us look good

2019-10-20 10.14.50.jpg

• Like Like x 50
  10. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Aw, man. That brings tears to my eyes. Great tribute!

• Like Like x 10
  11. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Thanks man and I don't mind telling you that I shed a few tears creating and posting the whole thing on his thread :(  got something more fun for then next MP shot.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
  12. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

That looks great. I love the battle-damaged details. Can’t wait to see your whole detolf setup. Modular is a great way to go. Glad to have been part of your inspiration.

This is great. I’m glad that this came together. Nothing wrong with shedding a tear. TC’s passing, his desire to want to experience MP-44 and us missing out on the level of excitement that he would bring out in his photos carried some emotional weight. Great job mcart.

• Like Like x 11
  13. MSWF377

MSWF377 Well-Known Member

image.jpg Best buds

• Like Like x 17
  14. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

Sideswipe +, Alert+ and Sunstreaker all sold out every where!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

Fug I was hoping to get Sideswipe+ at some point? Anyone know when they’ll have restocks? Sideswipe’s one of those characters I don’t want to get a KO for

• Like Like x 1
  16. MSWF377

Even amazon japan??

• Like Like x 1
  17. Makai Lung

Makai Lung Well-Known Member

Did hasbro manage to deliver mp-44 to him before he died?

18. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sideswipe + is available, but not the other two.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MSWF377

Bummer. And BBTS JUST had Red Alert I think

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Redalert available at Robotkingdom. Sunstreaker is getting a reissue.

• Like Like x 1