The Masterpiece Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

I can see Shockwave doing the sprinkler and getting served by Frenzy.

• Like Like x 4
  2. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This might not be the last that we've seen of the cardboard floor.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DinoSnarl

DinoSnarl Obese chocoholic

News Credits:
    It does sound like that especially the "blockier, less sophisticated" and "CHUG level" engineering comments. He's a 1980's casette player, what more can they do? I'm not sure what improvements a V2 Soundwave could make apart from some increased articulation.

4. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Quite a few things. I’ve made a detailed case in the spec thread several times. It’s ok to say MP-13 is fantastic for his time and accept times have changed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    They've certainly stepped in a certain direction, whether overall you concider it up or not is a question of personal taste. I'd concider it more sideways myself. I do conceed there have been improvement in some areas...others not so much. I still rate MP-13 above MP-36 for a bunch of reasons and would still recommend buying Soundwave over Megatron, which was my reason for posting. I prefer him aestheticly, I think he offers better value for money, more fun 'gimmicks' and a more satisfying transformation. Again I don't wanna argue with you, your opinion is totally valid, you and I look for different things in a MP figure and that's fine. For balance I wanted to offer an alternative point of view ;) 

That said they still both (sorta) feature in my top 10 MP's and share the same shelf in my collection both often competing for pride of place.

IMG_8861.JPG
    IMG_6260.JPG IMG_7061.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 15
  6. Sam

Sam MP-44: 119 days

News Credits:
    You were the one who said that Soundwave was in an entirely different league from Megatron, which is different enough from a side step ;) 

Like you, I used to turn Soundwave's thighs sideways to allow his legs to go up, it was thanks to this thread I learned that those ratchets are just super tight. Rocking those repro-labels too, all toyed up:

IMG_7609.JPG

• Like Like x 14
  7. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    I was paraphrasing @Dean ML for comedic(?) effect. I do think MP-13 is a better figure of the two but not in a different league of course! That would be rather hyperbolic thing to say ;) 

Thanks for the tip regarding the thighs...I'm not so sure I like the way it looks though. I'll have to try it tomorrow. Good call on the repro-labels...I've been contemplating removing some of mine of late but I'm in rwo minds

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sam

Sam MP-44: 119 days

News Credits:
    I was using them that way for a couple of months, but you can get a lot more poses out of the other joint. When trying out the stiff ratchet, just make sure to hold the leg as close as possible to the joint.

8BA50813-9DF9-41E4-A12C-81799E2F0DEB.jpeg

Yup Soundwave can even pull off a kneel (not as naturally as Megatron, but it’s still nice to have!).

I’m still torn on reprolabels. I like how he looks next to 36+, and am of course hoping for a 13+ (Or v2) to join the other toon cons, but they aren’t as impressive as tampographs.

Loud Pedal was able to achieve toy accurate details without tampographs, just using carefully painted metallics, so I might try that out for details on Soundwave instead.

• Like Like x 12
  9. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Yeah not being an articulation junkie like yourself I've never really found his articulation all that limited. I've never felt the need to pose him kneeling for example ;) 

I'm sure I've had him in that configuration before it's just that last time I transformed or played about with him I must have left it like you see in the photos. I will give it a go when I get home.

Heh...I doubt I'd buy either of those as I find the original too damn perfect. Much like MP-44 and 45 I find TT's approach to 'improving' on old designs not to my taste.

10. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I've had my Soundwave's thighs oriented that way since I got him....what other way were people doing?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    The way you can see in my photos.

12. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Have you looked at the ocean decal set for Soundwave? They're usually better looking but can be hit or miss with having all the wanted decals.

13. Dean ML

Nice shots/collection/poses! But the quantifiable increase in the previously mentioned areas should certainly count as up, not sideways. It's just math! Whether that makes for a more enjoyable figure or not is up to you, of course. But those increases are part of what I love about this line, that to a certain extent the TT guys say "damn consistency" and opt instead to keep pushing limits and trying new things. Might not always work to everyone's taste but it makes the line more exciting to me and makes me admire the designers more as artists and engineers.

@Sam , exceptional poses and incredible match between your Megatron+ and Soundwave+! And yes, the way you have his thighs oriented are "correct", of course. It's the way he was designed and those notches at the top of his thighs were present in both the G1 toy and animation.

Today's deskbots. Two of my absolute favorite characters since I was a kid watching the show every weekday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2019 at 1:34 AM
    • Like Like x 8
  14. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Heh....you and I are never going to agree on this so this will be my last word on the subject. To me It's not as black and white or mathematics as you seem to think. I see 'increases' in certain aspects and some are welcome, but others are either not welcome, not required or come at a too high a cost/detriment. Your reasons for preferring one over the other may seem more objective or demonstratable to you but when I read them they seen just as subjective as mine.

15. Dean ML

The increases might not be welcome to you - fine - I totally get it, but parts count, articulation, paint coverage, and gimmicks/accessories have most certainly been objectively increased, which is measurable/black and white/mathematical, just ask @Agent 539 (upwards movement, not sideways ;)  ). Hell, you can certainly throw price in there, too, which we can both surely agree stings ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    Ah! Now I see we are talking at cross purposes here. Sure, some things have increased numerically 'upwards'. I thought when you said 'no denying that these figures have stepped it up a few notches since his time' you meant made an unquestionable improvement rather than simply numerically increasing stuff. Increases in parts count, articulation, paint coverage, and gimmicks/accessories (even price!) can be both positives and negatives in my book. Less is sometimes more and I certainly feel that is the case with MP-13.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

I can see where Booster is coming from. The new direction TT is going in is certainly my kid dreams come true, as for a lot of people. But to others, those aren’t high selling points. Soundwave is a perfect exmaple of being the the sum of his parts, range of articulation, transformation and color scheme, just to toss it in. In that, Soundwave is awesome and does what he needs to do. His parts count and the design of his insides to achieve his transformation are perfect for what they are. But that’s not the true argument.

Megatron took some next-level engineering to make a robot turn into a gun, which is far more challenging than making a robot turn into a box. So it’s not as easy as positive and negative, but necessity. Had V2 Megatron been made during Soundwave’s era, how would he have turned out? Not as many parts due to the budget at the time? Less paint? Less accessories? Lower price? Less complicated to transform? What about training the factory workers to assemble him. These things just don’t come out of the mold fully assembled so there’s the time factor to consider as well. I took these two apart for fun, but I’d hate to put them together as a job. This includes pinning parts together and punching rivets, which I don’t do.

To go back and forth all day determining which one is better is still personal taste because we’re using adjectives. Dean is right about the facts of what it took to assemble Soundwave and what it took to assemble Megatron. They are night and day because everything about them is different. If Soundwave had the engineering of today’s MPs, would the landscape look different? I’m absolutely convinced of it. But playing the “what if” game will never solve anything because they were made at two different periods in TT’s history.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Dean ML

Well said, @Agent 539 . As thrilled as I am with where the figures are at now, they wouldn't have been possible with all the great stuff that's come before and I fully appreciate that. Grateful to have it all! My display is next to me all day every workday and there's never been a moment where I turn to look at it and I'm not amazed, everyone from Grimlock (my oldest) to Sunstreaker (most recent mold).

• Like Like x 6
  19. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    02CA556C-8C18-4A16-BEFB-371972EBBB0D.jpeg 361B9185-C1F1-4875-BEBC-925F45AE644A.jpeg

• Like Like x 22
  20. octobotimus

octobotimus Decepticon Intelligence

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So.... call me crazy, but... I recently ordered a MP-09 (hasbro release) as I thought it looked better than the new one. Any advice on what level of careful to be and whether or not the Hasbro one being improved a bit has made it hold up alright for you?