The Masterpiece Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Oh, well whaddya know, they are...derp. :lol 

2. jdle37

jdle37 Active Member

what do u all think about how small the new mp side swipe n red alert are ? it really shocked me when i saw them next to the mp10 they only just come past its waist height and fit in the back of its trailer so basically there alternator size

3. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Heh. :wink: 

So you mean they are basically in scale. :) 

4. JackJJW

JackJJW Well-Known Member

100% how I feel. The films got me excited again, then the games actually delivered but it's the MP line that has me more excited than anything.

I thought MP-10 was amazing but I just got MP-08 and I'm not sure anything will ever beat this combo (though Soundwave plus cassettes is damn well going to try). Grimlock and Optimus Prime are just perfection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like to pretend this is Shia Labeouf at the start of Transformers 4 if he really has to be in it:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. MP08 is amazing in either mode and the MP line is the only thing keeping me collecting. Have to ask though - what has Spike ever done to you?

6. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, it's a little smaller than scale compared to MP-10 I suppose (I haven't seen those comparison shots), but I think it will be Ok. Those characters weren't huge in the show, and while I don't care about the gimmick of fitting in the trailer, I think they will look just dandy next to the right of the MPs.

7. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:

It was actually pretty easy for me. I love the MP line, in fact it is the only Transformer line I collect now. I sold my entire collection about a year ago. The only things I kept were my Robot Masters Optimus Prime, Revoltechs, Classics Jetfire, Binaltech red Jazz, and my Masterpiece figures. I went from just over 400 figures to 8. When I sold my MP-10, I made enough money to cover the cost of the Hasbro version of Optimus and Thundercracker with a little extra in my pocket. I just didn't have a use for two of the same figure. Since I prefer the Hasbro colors, it was a no brainer for me. The only thing I regret is getting rid of the packaging. I really like Takaras packaging for the MP line.

8. RICEMASTER

RICEMASTER Special Agent Doofy

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Cool thread!!!:) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I'm following your lead....but jus this 1 time! I swore I'd NEVER get rid of my Takara version. The Hasbro paint job has sold me though. I never did like the ( dead eyes ) on Takaras. This isn't easy for me either. I'm grinding my teeth as I type this lol.

10. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Awesome pics. :D 

11. Hybrid Style

Hybrid Style AKA: TheFallen

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Transformers, in particularly Soundwave, are the reason I am still collecting Transformers.

I would have to put Hot Rod as my least favourite so far. I have the Hasbro version and I prefer Offshoot over Hot Rod. Hot Rod has only been transformed once and currently sits on my shelf in alt mode.

I really like MP-03 Starscream and it was my first Masterpiece, again the Hasbro version. However, as a $100 toy ( I don't get the luxury of US prices) it is a little disapointing in some respects. The small tail wings are always falling off mine. I also have Skywarp but he hasn't been opened yet. I am waiting to see how the MP-11 story unfolds. I will double dip if it means that all 3 main Seekers get released in that mould. The Coneheads would be great as well so I don't have to chase down the iGear versions.

My favourite so far is MP-08 Grimlock. This figure is almost perfect. The only thing I don't like is the light up gimmick and weapons. Mine also has a stripped leg screw but it doesn't impact the figure. This is the best Grimlock ever released and looks great in both versions.

I don't have MP-10 yet but it is supposed to be released here in the next couple of weeks so I am anxiously awaiting for it.

MP-12 is on preorder from Robot Kingdom because I wanted the amazon.jp exclusive. It should be here before the end of the month providing it is still released this month. I don't have any issue with his size as it lines up perfectly in the G1 cartoon scale.

MP-14 is pretty good as a slight retool of Sideswipe. I know there are some people who are not happy with this one for whatever reason. I am not one of them. I love the idea of smaller Masterpieces and a more robust line. Not only is there a spot in my collection for Red Alert but I am also buying to support the future of the line. I don't want this to be a failed endeavour for Takara.

I am saving the best for last. MP-13, 15 & 16 are the best Transformers I have ever seen. Providing there is no unseen issues with the final product this will easily be my favourite Transformer, not just my favourite Masterpiece. I am putting them all in the same category of "Project Soundwave" as it was called at the Tokyo Toy Show. One just needs to look at the Lazerbeak/Buzzsaw mould to see how well this has been engineered. I cannot get over how good Project Soundwave looks. And until Ratbat is released it is still incomplete and more is still to come.

In summary (TL;DR);
    Masterpiece Transformers are awesome, MP-13,15 & 16 "Project Soundwave" is EPIC!!!!

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I just opened my MP Prime today and he is awesome.He ranks right up there with MP Grimlock as my favorite.

13. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Got around to taking pics of TC, he really is beautiful, especially outside. And great at Jet Judo

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vasili

Vasili Well-Known Member

This thread just pushed me over the top to order MP Grimlock. Awesome pics guys!

15. WheelWave140

News Credits:
    So, has anyone seen the new images of MP-15? Looks amazing, I love Rumble (RIRFIB) and his piledrivers!

16. Hybrid Style

Hybrid Style AKA: TheFallen

News Credits:
    The ones from a couple of days ago or newer ones?

17. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I Love MP-01. He may have a Somewhat poor Truck Mode, but his Robot Mode is Spot-On and he has individually Articulated fingers. MP-01 is a Heavy son of a Bitch.

I'm Indifferent about Mp-03. He's pretty well articulated, but the skirt Kibble gets in the way and I don't really like his feet.

MP-05 is really sweet. Being the first Megatron Toy since G1 Megatron to transform into a P38, He is impressively engineered. There are only 2 Gripes I have about this figure. First, his Scope weighs his right side down when attached to his arm. So much so, Mine currently has his Fusion Cannon Rested on the N-64 Next to him. Second, his Hip Kibble is needlessly large.
    MP-08 is a Beast in both Modes. Just all around great figure. My sole complaint is his right fist which holds his Light-up Gimmick which you can't toggle on like the one in Megatron's Fusion Cannon. I think the Gimmick is Kind of Useless. Takara could have easily done with Grimlock's Sword and The Barrels on his Blaster what they did with MP-01's Axe and made it out of Semitransparent soft Plastic. The Gimmick is a Nice gesture, but I'd rather have Grimlock able to point with his right hand.

MP-09 (Hasbro Edition) Masterpiece Rodimus is the only Masterpiece Figure I have nothing but gripes about. First of all, his hands are just absolute shit. The way his hands are designed, he cannot grip his weapons, point, or really do anything short of Gripping the Matrix. Second, his transformation to Vehicle Mode is unnecessarily difficult and I have only ever Fully Transformed him into Vehicle Mode maybe Three Times, and Every Fucking Time Those Side Pipes Refuse to fit into their Hole. His Transformation from Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime is GoBot Simple: You pop the rodimus face out from behind his Hot rod face and put it in place in front of his Hot Rod face, Rotate his legs outward sideways which extends them, and then you tweak the crest on his back. The only good thing I can say about this figure is that His Targetmaster partner Offshoot is actually pretty awesome (Actually better than Rodimus Himself)

18. WheelWave140

News Credits:
    The older ones. I cannot wait for Soundwave, if I have to, I'll get the Takara versions

19. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've gotten back into MPs with redesigns of Prime and the seeker mold. Just picked up Starscream today, and I cant wait for Sideswipe and Red Alert to come out.

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have more after I shoot Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

The look spoiler on MP Rodimus in bot mode has always bothered me for some reason. It just seems too thin and the shape don't look right. If I had a pic of Rodimus holding the matrix in TFTM you could see what I mean.