The Masterpiece Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. baconbeast

baconbeast Avid TFBT player

No need Sixo... unless others here request otherwise. Pretty much aiming for Takara unless the Hasbro one experiences a dramatic price drop (doubtful!).

And yes, I agree there is something about the Takara boxes that adds to the Masterpiece vibe :D 

2. prtrek

prtrek Well-Known Member

Thank you! I decided to showcase my hobbies, Transformers and my back yard. Hopefully I can post some more shots soon.

3. olevelo

olevelo Supreme King of All Transformers Earth Wars

I don't understand why people complain when a figure is bare plastic instead of painted. I'd rather have the color moulded in so I have a lot less to worry about as far as scuffs and scratches. Besides that's way more realistic! Optimus wasn't painted red, he IS red!

4. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    people are stuck up and picky... I personally, would rather it be made in color rather than painted. Paint scratches and just like white shirts, I always fuck them up.. So having it made in the proper color rather than painted, is much preferred on my end.

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really have a preference either way, I just prefer whatever looks best. Often times, painted figures have a lot nicer look to them if done well- glossier finish, no plastic swirls, and the details of the mold are brought out by a well-applied coat of paint. However I have plenty of figures where that look isn't desirable, like Brawny or MP10, and I desire a more matte look, so for them I wouldn't prefer paint.

6. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

Hey guys, sorry if the following post doesn't pertain to any on-going discussions here. I was typing a rather drawn-out monologue in another thread about collecting MP seekers, and it occurred to me it may have a place in this thread also...

I've got two minds on how I would like to manage my original seeker trio. First, it must be disclosed that I am not a fan of straight-up repaints of a mold in my collection. I can justify owning all the G1 MP Fairladies and Lambo bros. because at least they all have structural differences between them besides just a simple color palette swap. But the MP-11 mold has always been just that: color deco swap. On the conservative, rational side of my brain, I think "what a waste to spend $600 on 3 figures of the exact same mold." I have MP-11 SW, Hasbro TRU TC, and was lucky enough to secure a pre-order for a Hasbro TRU SS. I am currently using Skywarp as my "definitive" example of the MP-11 mold. He has great paint apps, very solidly built, and no floppiness unlike some other versions of the MP-11 mold. I paid the $200 to get him, and I have no regrets of doing so. Even though I am against straight-up repaints, there's no way I could be satisfied with my MP collection if I didn't have Starscream and Thundercracker. To me, as characters, they are essential. I can justify owning those two in addition to my $200 Skywarp because I paid very little for them, $70 for TC and $65 for SS. Seem reasonable? To me, it does. However...

The other side of my brain, the completionist, money-is-no-object, better-get-it-or-you-will-regret-it side, wants the best versions of each of the 3 seekers, and is willing to pay the $200 each to get them. I want that cartoon accurate, baby-blue TT TC with no weird tampos. I want the TT SS with the coronation gear, and possibly better QC than the Hasbro (see the TRU SS thread). I want all the TT bio cards, matching boxes, and collector coins for each of them. They're a team, so they all should match as much as possible, right? Plus, one could argue that the TT MP-11 SW and T versions are quite limited, and could potentially be looked at as an investment, RIGHT??

In the end, I may just end up selling my Hasbro TC and/or SS and using the funds to get the TT versions. I think if I don't, I will forever look at my seekers with a sense of remorse that I didn't spring for what I "really want." Or I may just keep them and say "save your cash for other things, be happy with what you have". It truly is a first-world problem and in the grand scheme of things, quite ridiculous. :)  Thank you for reading my story! :thumb 
    [​IMG]

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    You know, if you have the disposable income to get it, I say...fuck it. Why limit yourself to just one version of a character if having multiple ones would make you happy? What if if makes you happy to appreciate the different takes that have been released? I have the iGear TC, the TRU Hasbro TC, Takara MP-7, and now I'm getting the Takara MP-11T. I find it easier that way. It's not like my spending habits have made me do nothing but a top ramen diet. I'm able to pay bills, buy real food, cook, etc etc. I save up for what I want. And I go get it. I make it easier on myself rather than imposing a supposed limit that I know would have me teeter tottering between getting one or the other, and possibly missing out because I took too damned long to make up my mind. In short, this is supposed to be a hobby of fun and enjoyment. So enjoy it. Some people would disagree with my approach, and that's fine. Its your collection. Do what you want.

8. dafob

dafob Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I TOTALLY feel your pain. I'm in the EXACT same situation as you. I have TT MP-11, Hasbro TC, Hasbro SW, and most recently Hasbro SS. I have MP-11T on preorder (which I'm wrestling with canceling) and am contemplating picking up MP-11SW. I could justify getting MP-11 because 1) he's iconic, and 2) he at least comes with coronation gear to justify the high price tag whereas MP-11SW and MP-11T are barebones and repaints. It's ridiculous we have to pay that much just because they're "limited exclusives". Hell, they cost more than some of the other MP's that are bigger iconic characters and have more plastic (MP-10, MP-22, etc.). That $400 could be better spent getting different molds or 3P I don't have such as Quakewave.

But like you, a part of me says "it's just money... you can always make more, but these 'exclusives' may be impossible to find later".

Aarrgghhh... these are the times where this hobby sucks. First world problems, indeed... :D 

9. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Just do what I'm doing, buy them all! I have all 5 Hasbro figures, MP-11, and MP-11SW with Hasbro SS PO'd and I just need Greenscream, Ghostscream, MP-7, MP-11S, MP-11TC, and a first checklist accurate Hasbro MP-11 Skywarp with the purple nosecone and I'll be done, minus the other two Rainmakers. I don't need MP-6 or Takara Acid Storm. Thank goodness! :D 

But I'm clearly nuts. If you're just looking to complete the trio, sell your Hasbro TC, cancel your Hasbro SS preorder, and get the figures that you really want.

10. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Hah @ Takara Acid Storm. I actually bought a 2nd TRU AS and removed the camo and painted the traditional stripes on him to make him a custom "Takara Acid Storm"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even swapped out the head, canopy and windshield from a junker Hasbro TC.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    To answer the question of buying Seekers, my standpoint is that I just really like Seekers. The G1 show really used the character model to pad out the Decepticon forces, and completing my Seeker collection does that as well. Seeing TDS's photo of the Igear "Acid Storm" finds me yet again wanting something that I'll never have due to price (even a completionist can have limits).

Also, I like troops and troop building. Whike that may seem expensive (and it can be), Masterpiece is the only line I'm collecting now. That blow is severely softened when the focus is that narrow as well as selling off other things to fund said collection.

I hope that helps some, but it's more of me stating my own collecting mo.

12. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    That's pretty awesome looking, though I went the other way and got the Reprolabels for Legends class Acid Storm to make him look more like the MP! I have a huge soft spot for Acid Storm as he was my first Masterpiece.

I would love to have an MP-3 Acid Storm and MP-3 Sunstorm, looking the way he accidentally appeared on the Hasbro box.

13. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic Slightly-Known Member

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Starscream arrived yesterday, the 2014 MP-11 version.

I'd really like to be jumping for joy here, but sadly the downright explosive floppiness really dampens my experience so far. I think I'd really enjoy him if he was as solid as the other MPs, because I think he's fine by design, just... execution, hmm. His boobies move when I try to pose his arms and his top and bottom halves refuse to stay together. The usual.
    I'm thinking of getting supposedly fixed Hasbro Starscream and just keeping the Takara box and coronation set, with Takara Starscream there in case some QC errors make a part swap seem optimal. Then I'll probably keep him in jet mode.

A little disheartened after this, honestly, but Sideswipe is next to arrive, and I've heard very good things.

14. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    kinda jelly of your PP03R.

15. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

Can someone tell me if TRU MP Bluestreak is worth picking up? Sorry never got Prowl last year due to a major life set back, but picking up the pieces quickly though. Also, is there any QC issue with this figure or something I should be a where of?
    Thanks

16. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

If you like paint you're stuck up and overly picky? ... the hell...? I love paint on a figure because the finish looks classier and the colors are deeper, richer, and more vibrant. I don't want these guys painted head to toe - It'd be hard to avoid a lot of scratching as you point out, but being that this is the premium TF line they should have a premium finish. Wheeljack looks great, but he would've looked better if he were fully painted in car mode. It was an obvious cost cutting measure and it makes him inconsistent with the other fully painted carbot car modes.

Sorry to hear, but yes - TT MP-11 Starscream is famously floppy. I don't have much fun posing mine, but he looks great on the shelf. The recent TT Skywarp is nice and tight, though, thankfully. I'm sure Thundercracker will be the same - can't wait to find out!

17. SuperGrimlock

SuperGrimlock Cybertron Driver License

I had no issues with mine. I have seen a few with a few bad spots of paint but overall I'm not aware of there having been any major issues with it.

18. Flesh Creature

Flesh Creature Human Germ

Hmmm. That is disheartening. Is that the Asia reissue? I had heard that one supposedly had a tighter chest/cockpit.

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Is it true what they say 'jackie?

It is my little friend, it is. *whistles 'Victory' opening tune*

give 'em hell.....

[​IMG]

20. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    Still hate the white legs. Would rather they be grey.