The Mandalorian - live-action Star Wars TV series

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ShinGi, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Maybe he'll play a Jedi as a callback to his character in A Perfect Getaway where he called himself an American Jedi.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mandalorian - Gallery Episode 3 dropped this morning. This week, the focus is on the actors: Pascal, Carrano, and Weathers, plus Favreau and Filoni. They also spliced in discussion about the actors from the director's table.

Truly some hilarious stuff, especially Filoni at the end. Apparently, Carl Weathers was supposed to be only in eps 1 and 3, then die; he also was supposed to be an alien with full makeup prosthetics. During early tests, they actually had a dude in full gear in the catina, and Filoni was directing for the very first time (with Favreau watching). They simply couldn't not get it right b/c a first time director with an actor in super restrictive gear that couldn't emote or move was too much. Even Favreau hopping in wasn't enough. Then they ditched the alien gimmick and just made Greef Karga a human.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I laughed at the story of Pascal walking into plywood and Carrano thinking the makeup department did a really good job with the blood effects. Then him getting right into the hospital when they thought the makeup was real and he was way worse then he really was.

• Like Like x 5
  4. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It’s not a question of Taika being “in charge” solely it’s a question of being on a team with Favreau and Filoni. He has every right to be on that team, as much as either of them. Favreau’s done some decent stuff but it wasn’t like he was some fucking cinematic genius. He had a couple of decent movies and hadn’t charted jack-shit as big as this. You could say Filoni is a SW savant and there is some truth to that. I actually think some of his stuff is shit. I still think he’s competent and I still think he is deserving of it, despite thinking he’s 50% meh.

Neither had Favreau.

5. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    2B2FD5D4-94D4-4174-9482-5C18E956027F.jpeg

...and it shows.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Really enjoyed episodes 1 and 3, haven’t checked out 2 yet. Love the council of directors even if I wasn’t too hot about the Tatooine episode or the heist episode. They assembled some really great talent who do have a passion for good filmmaking and Star Wars. The cast is so great at their job too.

It honestly kinda depressed me because I still have so far to go with my own directing abilities. :lol 

7. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

It’s possible. There was a character named Rook Kast in Clone Wars, so I’m pretty sure Filoni and Favreau are aware of the character

10. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Latest Rumors

which I hope aren't true

• Like Like x 1
  11. OptionZero

News Credits:
    I got through the video, but man was it rough.
    1) am I supposed to rely on a dude with the over the top voice, helmet, and the name Doomcock as a credible source? I mean...what’s the joke here? I dint want to go through his playlist and cross reference his prior “reports.” I see a lot of doom and gloom about RoS which now are accurate but there was plenty of buzz about that from a lot of places, it’s not something that makes him reliable. Is he proven?

2) His entire analysis is from a single source, which he himself says is unverified and he gives a half dozen disclaimers. Among journalists, from say the sporting world, many require multiple, triple sourcing before reporting. If you’re giving out grain of salt warnings constantly, what are we even doing here?

3) The anti Kennedy bias is right out there. I mean, I might as well be reading posts directly from Star Wars threads on this forum, the tone and takes are spot on. Is this dude the source of that group of SW fans? The sentiment is identical

4) toward the end, the reporting very quickly gives way to editorial. If you wanna give your opinion, fine, but mixing it in with shaky single sourced rumors seems like self aggrandizing attention seeking ranting.

5) Specifically, the psychoanalysis of Kennedy’s intention with the boba Fett as female take. It is unclear how much of this is his own interpretation versus whatever his source is saying, which gives me pause

When he first said Kennedy demanded boba retconned to “be female,” I spit out my drink. But even the rumor he’s reporting on DOESNT even claim that! The rumor was:
    Boba comes out of the sarlacc Pitt. He does not survive.
    Jawas find the body and strip the armor.
    Sabine Wren acquires the armor and galavants the galaxy using it.

so a few things - current cannon has not addressed adult boba at all. all EU has been decanonized as a whole, so currently, that part of the timeline is a blank slate. It’s really not a retcon to have BOBAS ARMOR used by someone else. I would interpret a retcon in this context to be if it were revealed that boba WE KNOW, the clone of jango who was in clone wars and the movies be changed somehow to have been female the whole time. An armor swap keeps that boba in place, thus preserving the timeline and not a retcon.

again, bags of salt later ... Sabine using boba’s armor and using the boba name seems inconsistent with her character as established. Just look at how much her art means to her and her current armor. It is wildly painted in bright colors. Why would she use the relatively drab colored armor of boba Fett? And if she gets that physical set of armor and repaints it in such a manner...then is she stealing boba identity? At that point it’s just beskar being recycled as it is in Mandalorian, right?

further, Sabine’s extreme reluctance to take up the dark saber and outright refusal to wield it AS LEADER of the mandalorian sos shows she doesn’t want to act personally as a symbol for her people. Why then would she take up the well-known look of boba to basically do something along those lines? It does not jive with her personality

when we last saw her she still was using her bright armor to accompany Ahsoka to find Ezra POST ENDOR, around the same period as Mandalorian. Non boba armor

lastly, Sabine is Filoni’s creation. Is he letting someone else handle her series?

• Like Like x 8
  12. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    That video is probably 99% bullshit.

• Like Like x 4
  13. dinobot1

dinobot1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn’t matter as long as it’s what certain people want to hear. I’ve had reservations about Kathleen Kennedy, but the vitriol she receives is downright ridiculous. Any discussion involving her is becoming a dog whistle for certain types of individuals.

• Like Like x 4
  14. OptionZero

News Credits:
    FWIW, no heat when favs and Filoni were sitting at a table with Kennedy on the gallery series

15. OptionZero

News Credits:
    I'm making my way through the latest episode of "Gallery" and this week's topic is Practical, all the puppetry that goes into making this thing. Obviously, this is the Baby Yoda episode, and it is absolutely incredible to see the work that went into making and bring the thing to life. Probably cost millions of dollars in development and production, then 5 puppeteers controlling its motions, plus whatever CGi goes into post.

I also found this incredibly amusing:

This is a panel from celebration 2019, and at the 40 min mark or so Favs and Filoni talk about using the actual 501 fan group that has custom made armor for the set. Its hilarious and awesome they didn't have enough stormtroopers lying around AT LUCAS so they got this fan group to bring their gear and be extras on screen. What a mindblowing experience for those folks and so cool that Filoni brought them in

• Like Like x 2
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Maybe it's because all her ideas are terrible? :I

I mean, with a track record as bad as hers, it's hard not to be immediately cynical. Also, funny you mention discussion turning to "dog whistling" when no one has even discussed that video yet and it was posted four days ago. That must be a pretty quiet whistle.

• Like Like x 5
  17. dinobot1

dinobot1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And here you are to talk about how she apparently hasn’t had a single good idea. A quick look at Wikipedia on all the movies she has produced shows a very different picture. She also has eight academy award nominations, so she must have done something right.

I’ll be the first to admit her tenure with Star Wars has been a mixed bag. However, I’d say it’s a nuanced topic. When Disney made the Star Wars acquisition, they wanted a Star Wars movie to be produced in less than three years and to be annual after that. Bob Iger also wanted the entire Sequel Trilogy done before he retired. That’s quite a limited time window to set up everything. Even Marvel was already in the middle of producing movies when Disney purchased them.

Lastly, I find it funny that all these videos claim that Kathleen Kennedy is going to ruin this show when she helped make it. Jon Favreau pitched this show to her and she brought in Dave Filoni to help make it. She even groomed Filoni to get more experience as a director.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Mostly she produced a lot of movies for other people like Spielberg and Lucas. But she never came up with the ideas. She is good at management and money, not creativity.

• Like Like x 5
  19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    You have to be really damn obtuse to even pretend you didn't know I was only referring to her involvement in Star Wars. Come on, man.

However, since you brought up her previous repertoire, she's only ever produced show, and producers rarely have creative input. She hasn't directed anything. By that margin Spielberg should be given credit for the Transformers movies. :p 

Ignoring that it's pretty generous to say she "helped make it," why would that preclude her ruining it? Plenty of show runners have gone on to ruin their own shows, let alone someone without creative involvement.

So because she said yes to a show that was someone else's idea, and was even being floated around Lucasfilm before she entered the picture, she deserves credit?

If anything this show is good in spite of her, not because of any involvement she had. Just look at her in the Gallery episodes, she never has anything worthwhile to add to the discussion because she's so detached from the creative process.

:lol  Because Filoni had zero directing experience before her. Also, "groomed." It seems Favreau is more integral to Filoni's development of a live-action director than Kennedy.

Pretty much. I never attacked her credentials as a producer, but her creative ideas on Star Wars have all been just awful. She routinely demonstrates her total lack of understanding of the franchise, which would be just fine if she just hired someone under her who did.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    I can agree that Kennedy sounds like someone we could really use with management and money. The sausage needs to get made somehow!