The Mandalorian - live-action Star Wars TV series

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ShinGi, Nov 9, 2017.

1. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

Lucasfilm is developing a live-action Star Wars series for Disney’s new streaming service, Disney’s CEO, Bob Iger, announced today.

There isn’t much information about the series, but it will be released exclusively on Disney’s streaming service. The service is set to launch in 2019. The Star Wars series will be joined by three other live-action shows also based on Disney properties; one will be based on Marvel, another on Monster’s Inc. and a third one based on the High School Musical franchise.

“Our advantage as a company is to take advantages that exist out there for good television and take advantage of it,” Iger said during an investors call.

The announcement comes just months after Iger confirmed that all Disney movies, including Marvel and Star Wars films, will be removed from Netflix in 2019. It was recently reported that Disney was in talks to acquire the majority of 21st Century Fox, which would help build Disney’s library for the streaming service. Those talks have stalled, according to CNBC.

More information about the various series is expected to be released soon.

Disney developing live-action Star Wars TV series

• Like Like x 1
  2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Well, I'm interested...

• Like Like x 1
  3. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

People has been saying this for years. One could only cry wolf oh so many times......

4. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Actually with Disney's plan of over-saturating the media with Star Wars I can see this happening.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah this will be the series they launch their streaming service with, more than likely it will follow the plan Lucas set up years ago for a Tv series, all the prep work was done and they had about 100 episodes planned and many written, but it would have cost too much at the time.
    Hope this doesn't mean no more animated series after Rebels ends, I'd love to see a series that fills in the gap between Episode 6 and 7 animated so they could use Luke,Han, and Leia.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    A live action Monsters Inc show? Oh boy.

Hey a live action show between 6 and 7 wouldn't be a bad concept either. That's 30 years of blanks to fill in after all.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd set it between ep 4-6 so they can use the Empire and maybe a Vader cameo.

8. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Even more Star Wars???

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Can't be too interested until I get more info about what the series is about.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Actually this doesn't sound like a bad idea.

When Disney first announced a streaming service I was pass. Sure I like Disney stuff, but the thought of paying for yet another streaming service didn't appeal to me. But they keep announcing more and more new original content and now instead of pass I'm wait a minute this might actually be worth it. I seems like they learned you don't sell a service on just one show like CBS All Access has tried so put out enough new and exciting things to make the service seem like a good value.

So far it sounds like they are willing to put in the money to be something like Netflix right out of the gate with got to watch it shows. And who knows this might actually be good for streaming to have have some real competition instead of also ran. The Hulu and Amazon shows just don't seem to have the sort of pop culture impact that a show like Stranger Things has.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Completely agree. However whatever new content Disney plans on creating for this service needs to be really good. They can't expect a show about any obscure SW or Marvel character to be an instant hit. I have to imagine that they must have something up their sleeves already, like a Fett show or maybe a Hawkeye or Black Widow show. Watching a new show is a big commitment for the avg viewer. You only have the first few episodes to connect, especially if the season is only 13 or so eps, otherwise people will just pass on it and then tear it apart online, which then turns off others immediately from ever seeing it, ala Inhumans.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

• Like Like x 8
  15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm interested. It is a huge universe with a lot of different ways that they can go. I personally would love to a series of Sith vs Jedi before the rule of two.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ugh. No jedi heavy focus please. Keep the jedi stuff to a minimum.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

But space-wizards are all people like about Star Wars! :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

If it was set before the Darth's Bane rule the you'd have entire squads of Force users fighting in some kind of space fantasy setting.

However, the Old Republic era was written in the time when less emphasis was put on making Jedi/Sith superpowered. They had more varied Force powers and they were more common... But people like Mandalorians or Republic commandos still could fight them and win.

The way it's used to be written these days... Basically, don't even bother fighting a trained Force-sensitive if you're not one yourself.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Yep, I am quite comfortable putting my faith into this. Jon is one of my favorites. The ability to crank out Elf, Iron Man and Chef, three wildly different films and three of my absolute favorites, is why I get excited with anything he is attached to.

• Like Like x 3
  20. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What if instead of the live-action KOTOR many want ,it's just Jon as Dexter Jettser at the diner from AOTC and its Chef in Space?