The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, I was paranoid too when I heard about the various problems in the first run. Thankfully, Yamato fixed up all of them in the subsequent runs...now that's something I hope Takaratomy does with Master Piece Starscream...

2. Mega Convoy

Mega Convoy Well-Known Member

Are we talking about completely separate runs here or just further along in the production? The reason I ask is that I don't want the toy to sell out completely. Generally, do most Japanese toys get at least two separate runs before being retired? This would make the difference to me whether to buy it on preorder or wait until reviews start coming in and problems are (hopefully) addressed for the next run.

On a related note, has anyone ever heard of Wave before? I'm sorely tempted by that new SDF-1 coming but don't want to invest in a starter company's first effort, or worse, one that doesn't have that great a reputation already.

3. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wave have been making nice resin & plastic models for years, this is just a little expansion for them.
    They have a good reputation but no previous actual toys to go on.

4. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

A little bit of both actually. Yamato has a nice network of fan-feedback that they use to address issues almost immediately at the factory level as soon as the first round of toys make their way out to people. The guy who runs Macrossworld.com is one of them. It was his suggestion that made them change the way they packaged the 1/60 VF-0S to put the tail flaps down to prevent snapping off the little points on them. So, even within one production run you'll see subtle/easy changes. Within subsequent production runs, you'll see all kinds of changes. It's my understanding that the first 1/48s had solid leg attachement. The newer runs can have the legs removed if you so desire, giving a wide slide which allows for better posability. Mostly because that's what was suggested to them through their fan feedback network. It would be nice if Takara had something similar in place.

5. Mega Convoy

I agree that would be nice. :)  Is it a pretty regular thing for things to be given a second production run or reissued in Japan exactly the same, no difference in packaging? It's not something I'm used to for the U.S. Seems odd too since Japan has so many "collectibles"

6. Night Flame

I don't know. I only really pay attention to Yamato and Takara. Yamato does it quite a bit because they usually put out a run, give the same mold new colors, put out that version, then put out yet another version, then somewhere down the line come back to the original without packaging changes, but incorporating all the other changes they've made in the mold since the original. Takara, as far as I know, doesn't do it much. Only one I'm currently aware of that's exactly the same is the re-release of MP01, which I think was Korean, but otherwise exactly the same as the original (save the chest actually being lined up this time).

7. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Oh yeah, Yamato really likes to milk the repaints and countless re-releases, can't say I blame them either (since I've bought most of them).

As far as changes to molds, you guys are absolutely right, Yamato does make various changes and improvements to their molds for repaints and re-releases. The second run of the 1/60 VF-0S was vastly improved from the first, and the VF-0A has all those improvements. You can probably expect the first run of the YF-19 to have a few minor hicups (I don't know of any at the moment, as Graham says the thing is f***ing beautiful) which will get fixed through subsequent runs and repaints. I'll keep an eye out on the MW boards for any problems that arise and keep you guys posted. I, for one, and really looking forward to the YF-19... so much so I pre-ordered two.

8. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Also known as a public beta.

There's nothing quite so satisfying as paying $150 to help other people get a product that doesn't suffer from terrible design flaws.

9. Night Flame

Eh. In this case it's pretty much a known thing though. It's like buying a software package on release day. You know there's going to be problems, and that you'd probably be better off waiting a bit. But, if you have to be the first to own it.

And, aside from that, it's not like any of the Yamatos have suffered from being MP03 like disasters. Only things I've heard have been minor quibbles with stability of joints and packaging problems causing some breakage, which most stores are willing to swap for you anyway.

10. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

All seven of my 1/48's are free of broken parts and I still don't see any type of stress marks. Whew.

Aside from a few loose knee armors I've had nearly zero problems with their merchandise.

Consider me lucky.

11. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

The first run of 1/72 YF-19's had serious breakage issues with the center joint, and the VF-11 (which was all-plastic crap anyway) had hip joints so tight, that the leg broke on mine during transformation. On the flip side, the FAST pack release of the YF-21 had hip joints so loose, the toy was completely unable to stand.

Point being, first run releases of Yamato merchandise are to be avoided until reviews come in. I love their willingness to push the envelope on design and transformation, but I know going in that the toys WILL have issues due to the complexity and limited production runs -- and that Yamato quickly incorporates fixes in subsequent runs. Some Yamato defenders don't like the "toy" label, preferring terms such as "transformable model" that (more accurately) imply a required level of hands-on adjustment and even minor kitbashing to get a figure where it needs to be.

-XCN-

12. Night Flame

Funny how I had forgotten about that when I have one of the busted leg VF-11s myself. I guess I like Yamatos enough that the 1/72 problems of yesteryear just sort of stopped mattering to me. But it has been several years since they've released something that crappy anyway.

13. Mega Convoy

If all these problems are pretty much a given on first releases, at which point do you think it's safe to buy? I hate having to buy several versions of the same thing to get the best product. Star Wars did that to me for ages before I wised up. I understand that products are constantly improved with new technology and what-not, but that's more a matter of personal preference, not fixing defects on the same toy mold. Since I'm kind of new to buying imports, I do want to get the better product, but I'm a little concerned they'll sell out and become even more expensive. Where's the best balance that you've found?

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    How long do you think it'll take to see a repaint of that YF?

15. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Well, judging the spacing of the VF-0S and VF-0A I'd probably say a repaint would be released sometime in March. I'd say it's anywhere between three and four months.

16. Night Flame

I'd say read the reviews in the week of release. If you don't hear of any problems, or at least not a majority of people having problems, grab it. If you do hear of problems, wait until you hear somebody's gotten a "fixed" version, and go to a store with a good stock rotation a couple of weeks later.

Or just hold out until you hear they're realeasing a new color/second release of the same color. If Yamato sells out of something, chances are pretty good they'll run another production run of the same thing a few months/years down the line. I don't look for this new mold to be any exception. Especially since it's a new mold.

17. Mega Convoy

That sounds like a plan. :)  The grey color scheme looks awesome. Might have to get that one. Will both be released at the same time?

Oh also, where is the best place to read unbiased reviews of the Macross stuff?

18. Night Flame

Macrossworld.com pretty much covers the gamut. The good, the bad, and several different people's perspective in the forums. Most of them are pretty harshly honest too.

19. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    That is sweet. Are these things ever sold in the US? I've never seen any of them. I'd love to get my hands on one of those. Peace out.