The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

I've not acquired any PLAMAX Macross items (even though those big scale kits are tempting), but always wondered, like with other licensees, if their license was one that was restricted by Big West to non-transformative models (unlike ARII, IMAI, Hasegawa, etc), or whether they just don't pursue creating any. Are they restricted?

2. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Arcadia VF-5000G is seriously damn cool. I shudder to think what it's going to cost though.

3. LonelySoldierBoy

LonelySoldierBoy Well-Known Member

BBTS has put up its preorder listing for the HMR VF-19 Kai. It's $140. Still quite a bit of a markup, but at least it's less than what was being charged for the HMR valks from Macross Zero

Edited to add - Kappa Hobby has this up now for preorder at $118.88. Tokullectibles has it at $120 (but I believe from the few times I've ordered from Tokullectibles, I didn't get charged sales tax). Free shipping for both. Still more expensive than ordering from Japan, but much more tolerable and glad not to see the $150, $160+ prices that US retailers were charging for some of the recent HMRs

Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

would you believe that my current favorite local Comics'/Collectables' shop is asking $175 for the HMR VF-0S?!?!

(MSRP Price Point of the BANDAI DX 1/48 VF-1 just a few years ago... Sheesh!!!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    I like seeing so much Macross stuff on a physical shelf in the US.

Edit: $175 for a physical store isn't that outrageous. BBTS is still asking $169.99 and they don't pay for a retail store.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Radioguy

It has always hurt to see toy glut for IPs that I don't love. To see Star Wars toys so plentiful that not only are dollar stores chock full of them, but I have even seen them in the trash. That's like a knife in the heart when I think of Macross. Don't get me started on Funko POPs either. I'd pay for tickets to watch a bonfire of them burn.

The only "big" franchises I collect are TFs, Godzilla, and Star Trek, and selectively on all. Hell, Star Trek is virtually niche now. Yeah, we all know TFs have dedicated shelf space, but so few stores have stock compared to things like Star Wars that it's not comparable.

Then there's Doctor Who and Macross, smaller IPs I love, and the money spent on just getting that stuff shipped stateside is ridiculous.

So, being in some small town and finding a comic shop (itself a labor of love that should be supported), and then seeing something Macross for sale that is priced a bit higher than Amazon...you buy it, and count yourself damned lucky you have such a source, and hope it remains.

• Like Like x 3
  7. betsuni

News Credits:
    I'm with you on supporting a brick and mortar store (especially a smaller shop that isn't a chain) over Amazon or BBTS. Especially with the way business is these days and everyone out to screw each other.

• Like Like x 1
  8. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    I say the Arcadia VF-5000g is going to be around ¥46k (or more) for the non-PE version and the PE id going to push it to ¥56k (or more) given the inflation and so forth. Everything production wise to going to be brand new for this, and that’s why Arcadia is re-releasing their older stuff again to recoup the costs of making new products.

9. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Got Well Soon

News Credits:
    E825BA97-DBBB-43B1-B9AA-088DF37810CB.jpeg

Since my God of Flame hasn’t arrived yet, I couldn’t help myself. Took advantage of KC’s sale and got them all for $130 plus some expensive shipping but I still saved a few hundred then I would have if I paid original MSRP for all of them.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

Do we know if they're doing a premium version? I kept waiting for them to do the 51s and they never got it.

11. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    It’s usually the case that Arcadia does do a PE release one year after the regular release valks are released @Juraash, but it doesn’t look like it since both Ivanoff’s and Nora’s regular 51 came out (at this point in time). The VE-1 was the only PE valk that bypassed the regular release stage.

Hopefully that Mr. K will tell us if the 51 or the eventual VF-5000g will get the PE treatment.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ALEXD3498

ALEXD3498 Godmaster

I wonder if it has to do with the new factories and suppliers. Come to think of it, we haven't had a PF since then and he has stated he can't release the PF 0D if I recall correctly

13. therealsharky

therealsharky Well-Known Member

I hear you. But, I still consider myself fortunate that I can at least buy stuff online. Being an older collector I can remember back in the late 80's early 90's when there was only one obscure mail order catalog from this store out of Dallas, TX where I could buy a few model kits. And, I only knew about it from an ad in a scale model magazine. I would imagine people in CA could probably find a shop or two. Most people had to settle for whatever Robotech merch was available to us. I remember I went nuts when Playmates rebranded some Macross toys under an Exo-Squad/Robotech banner.

I never actually saw the official Macross TV show until Animego did they're subtitled version in the 2000's. I think in 2001 if I recall correctly.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

i'm VERY grateful indeed to have a B&M Shop within arm's reach that actually stocks MACROSS product.

That Said... it remains personally-mind-blowing to see the little, action-figure-sized BANDAI HM-Rs priced
    at what a full-blown DX CHOGOKIN was but a scant handful of years ago, is all...

• Like Like x 4
  15. betsuni

News Credits:
    Don't know if you've been paying attention, but have you looked at the price of groceries lately?

Edit: I mean I understand the frustration, but everything has gone up price compared to a few years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Radioguy

I get it. However, the "best" online prices are sometimes at the cost of the mom & pop shops continuing. It's something I always consider before buying.

It's hard to accept, but yeah. Even if you pare it down to the bottom of the barrel comparisons that one will never see a 99¢ Big Mac or a "$5 footlong" again, at least the dollar is not the yen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

This thing looks like it won't hold up at all.

18. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

Oh i know; Just Grumbling...

• Like Like x 2
  19. LonelySoldierBoy

LonelySoldierBoy Well-Known Member

All things considering, the prices for the more recent HMR VF-1s haven't been too bad relative to their DX counterpart. I believe I paid just a little over 9,000 yen (before shipping) for Hayao and Max's 1A when preordering them. Hikaru's 1J GBP Revival and Super 1S were slightly more than that but obviously comes w/ add'l parts. Granted collecting Macross stuff has always been a very expensive hobby, but the yen tanking does help offset the rising prices.

It's really the recent Macross Zero HMR valks where the prices are much higher, with the upcoming Shin 0A + 2200 ghost being the most expensive HMR valk so far. And obviously, if you don't want to buy from Japan these days whether it's the HMR or DX line, you have to expect to pay a significant markup for any of the WWM releases from US stores unless there's a future sale or discount. Other Bandai releases in the US for other franchises have similar markups. It is what it is.

20. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

Me and my Dad have been all too happy to help support that wonderful Shop shown above;
    basically picking up a couple~three Model Kits/etc. per month from them since about mid/late 2023.

just at the beginning of this month; Dad grabbed himself a pair of Godhand SPN-120 precision Nippers... while i picked this great Hasegawa kit;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- And this one late last year;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these two, within the first couple/three months of 2024, all from ADVENTURES UNDERGROUND;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 4