The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. bluevalkyrie

bluevalkyrie timey wimey elevator oscillator

I think there is a measured WWM effect, but I am not convinced it has much to do with the anime’s popularity. And without hard data, which companies don’t share, there isn’t much anyone can do but to speculate about buying behavior. However, stores like HobbySearch and CDJapan sold out like they always do.

That said, the 19 Kai HMR preorder reminds me a lot of Shin’s 0D HMR preorder. Both WWM, both have previous Arcadia upscaled releases, both are going to be available globally (so fans can support their local shops, take advantage of local discounts, and compare more prices if they choose).

2. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    That’s always possible. I had the old 1/100 kit but it broke in numerous places so I’m using this as a replacement. While I could use the HG shortcut change kit as a worthy successor to the old kit, I do prefer how the HI METAL R doesn’t require as much parts removed to transform(if even; I won’t use swappable parts if the head fin and lasers can stay on somehow in fighter mode).

3. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    From Figure King #314, pics of the Arcadia VF-5000g.
    [​IMG]

and HMR Ronald McDonald valk

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  4. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

God the 5000 looks so cool and I love that it's a color scheme I definitely don't have on my Macross shelves. I really like what they're cooking here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I’m wondering how much it’ll cost.

I admire Yamato and now Arcadia’s ambition to go for obscure designs. 1st the VF-4 and now this. Freaking awesome to see them as toys rather than being limited to resin garage kits and/or plamo kits.

6. Gabriel Contreras

Gabriel Contreras After 5 years of lurking I finally made an account

News Credits:
    There’s also the fact that everyone who’s following the Chogokin lines already knows that the DX is in development, and people are going to most likely prefer that over the HMR.

7. bluevalkyrie

bluevalkyrie timey wimey elevator oscillator

All good points. I was thinking one way Basara’s ride might become more of a must have in the HMR line-up is if Bandai follows through on their full Sound Force tease at this scale. Getting the Sound Booster would be cool but the rest of the Sound Force Valkyries? Fantastic.

8. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Terashima san at Bandai(who worked on the HI METAL R Valkyrie) is trying to make this happen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Macross Modeler showroom featuring the new PLAMAX 1/72 battroid VF-1J. Also previews for the PLAMAX 1/72 battroids:
    • VF-1D
    • Fire Valkyrie

10. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

I've not acquired any PLAMAX Macross items (even though those big scale kits are tempting), but always wondered, like with other licensees, if their license was one that was restricted by Big West to non-transformative models (unlike ARII, IMAI, Hasegawa, etc), or whether they just don't pursue creating any. Are they restricted?

11. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Arcadia VF-5000G is seriously damn cool. I shudder to think what it's going to cost though.

12. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

would you believe that my current favorite local Comics'/Collectables' shop is asking $175 for the HMR VF-0S?!?!

(MSRP Price Point of the BANDAI DX 1/48 VF-1 just a few years ago... Sheesh!!!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    I like seeing so much Macross stuff on a physical shelf in the US.

Edit: $175 for a physical store isn't that outrageous. BBTS is still asking $169.99 and they don't pay for a retail store.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

It has always hurt to see toy glut for IPs that I don't love. To see Star Wars toys so plentiful that not only are dollar stores chock full of them, but I have even seen them in the trash. That's like a knife in the heart when I think of Macross. Don't get me started on Funko POPs either. I'd pay for tickets to watch a bonfire of them burn.

The only "big" franchises I collect are TFs, Godzilla, and Star Trek, and selectively on all. Hell, Star Trek is virtually niche now. Yeah, we all know TFs have dedicated shelf space, but so few stores have stock compared to things like Star Wars that it's not comparable.

Then there's Doctor Who and Macross, smaller IPs I love, and the money spent on just getting that stuff shipped stateside is ridiculous.

So, being in some small town and finding a comic shop (itself a labor of love that should be supported), and then seeing something Macross for sale that is priced a bit higher than Amazon...you buy it, and count yourself damned lucky you have such a source, and hope it remains.

• Like Like x 3
  15. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    I'm with you on supporting a brick and mortar store (especially a smaller shop that isn't a chain) over Amazon or BBTS. Especially with the way business is these days and everyone out to screw each other.

• Like Like x 1
  16. borgified

News Credits:
    I say the Arcadia VF-5000g is going to be around ¥46k (or more) for the non-PE version and the PE id going to push it to ¥56k (or more) given the inflation and so forth. Everything production wise to going to be brand new for this, and that’s why Arcadia is re-releasing their older stuff again to recoup the costs of making new products.

17. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    E825BA97-DBBB-43B1-B9AA-088DF37810CB.jpeg

Since my God of Flame hasn’t arrived yet, I couldn’t help myself. Took advantage of KC’s sale and got them all for $130 plus some expensive shipping but I still saved a few hundred then I would have if I paid original MSRP for all of them.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

Do we know if they're doing a premium version? I kept waiting for them to do the 51s and they never got it.

19. borgified

News Credits:
    It’s usually the case that Arcadia does do a PE release one year after the regular release valks are released @Juraash, but it doesn’t look like it since both Ivanoff’s and Nora’s regular 51 came out (at this point in time). The VE-1 was the only PE valk that bypassed the regular release stage.

Hopefully that Mr. K will tell us if the 51 or the eventual VF-5000g will get the PE treatment.

• Like Like x 2
  20. ALEXD3498

ALEXD3498 Godmaster

I wonder if it has to do with the new factories and suppliers. Come to think of it, we haven't had a PF since then and he has stated he can't release the PF 0D if I recall correctly