The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    The good old days.

I'm still on the fence on the VF-171X after reading all the opinions in this thread and watching Any Moon's review. I like the Fighter mode and amazed that the Battroid mode almost looks like the VF-25. Part of me is hoping that it'll get discounted lower than $200 shipped in the US, but that is probably unlikely.

2. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Got Well Soon

News Credits:
    Speaking of the animes,

I’m in Virgin Road now. Pineapple Salad really got me and the show hasn’t pulled a punch since. SDF is already sitting up there as one of my favorite animes of all time and I haven’t even finished it. It has me on the edge of my seat wanting to see what happens next.

It’s… just really good. It’s like Mobile Suit Gundam, but with all of the problems fixed. I predicted Roy’s death was going to happen at some point, but when it actually happened it really got me. And during the entire time the defectors were trying to board the Macross I was grasping onto my phone hoping they would all make it.

Fucking amazing show thats absolutely got me hooked. :cry 

EDIT: Holy fuck they glassed the planet.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    • Like Like x 8
  3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think there’s a chance Amazon will discount it eventually. Otherwise if you can find it for less than that at places like Mandarake…I dunno. If your intent is primarily to display it you’ll probably be okay with it. If you like playing with your Valkyries or transforming/posing/swooshing every now and then, probably not. If you have the DX YF-29 or VF-25 Renewal/Revival versions, those are a lot more pleasant to handle.

I say this being someone who was very hyped up to see the DX VF-171EX after Alto managed to land a shot against Ozma and overpaying for the original release over 10 years ago on account of how much I liked the design onscreen. I was so pissed to see the initial preorders close within seconds on the night they went live. Ultimately it wasn’t worth it at all. So don’t pay too much for it. If it was redesigned(instead of just switching to matte texture) I’d probably recommend it I’d probably have another by now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. betsuni

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was watching one for $185ish before shipping at CDJapan (link) but just couldn't pull the trigger primarily for the reasons you mentioned. I'm going to stick to my original plan and watch the prices here in the states and wait for a super deal just to have one on display and to fiddle with here and there.

I have Max's 29 and the MWW 25 as well as Michael's 25 which I do enjoy. Ok, well not the MWW 25 so much as a toy but that's more for the feeling of wasted space/money given that Bandai brought out Alto's and Michael's almost right after that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LonelySoldierBoy

LonelySoldierBoy Well-Known Member

So who's your favorite character on the show and why is it Shammy?

Just as a display piece, the 171 is worth it for me. I like the looks of it more than any of my 29s and 25s especially in fighter which is what I display all of those in as honestly I don't like to handle any of them. Everyone knows the 171 is a pain and the 29 and 25 aren't much better to me as they're a floppy mess. I also find transforming the 29 to be really annoying especially going back to fighter.

You can get the armored 171EX Revival for a little under $200 shipped and no tax from Mandarake right now given the exchange rate (cheaper if you don't mind slightly used). But given how many of these things are available on the secondary market and the falling prices, it might get even cheaper if you wait.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

I kind of doubt it. Most of these never had a dub to begin with because what was the point? I have a hard time believing anyone would foot the bill to cast and record dubs for multiple old shows/OVAs with a relatively niche/small audience. Official and/or new translations for the subs are probably the best we can hope for.

7. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Haha, that is odd to collect something you don't really like...I don't even collect figures of movies/shows I do like unless there is also the added criteria that toys were always a big part of the connection. Easy example is Macross shows and the toys have always gone hand in hand. Star Wars and toys, same thing. The Terminator and tons of other movies and shows that I love but have no connection with toys, I don't need or want action figures of (even though I did end up getting some Terminator figures, lol). But I also get that the Valk designs are a big draw of Macross and can see people collecting the toys without ever knowing about the media. Your friend sounds like he hates it all and is just torturing himself just because, lol!

I had a similar experience with my family while watching M+ at the theater. I already knew I didn't like it but wanted to support Macros and thought it might be a great experience to expose the kids to it on the big screen. Instead, I was cringing most the time and thinking about how bored they must have been. They ended saying they liked it but I can tell as you did that they were being nice and would much rather watch something else given the choice to. Overall, I think my kids have good taste and I think you are right that they prefer other genres these days. I was happy that they really liked G Gundam, which is my favorite Gundam series but even then, they would rather watch Naruto, Demon Slayer, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece or a bunch of other things.

Glad you're enjoying this classic. Truly epic and my favorite anime series ever besides Gatchaman.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

What do you mean? No mr breaking bad as Isamu Daison?

9. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Can a mod merge with my last post?

Yes, even back as a kid I knew Rick would die. But I never imagined it would have the impact it did. Rick was a goat. And comparable to transformers the movie, there was a new ace (2 aces, 1 mc, 1 max). But unlike tf the movie which got us annoying rodimus, Hikaru actually stepped up and held the flag high. Unlike rodimus or get in the robot shinji.

Rick, Hikaru, Maximilian, and Isamu definitelly my 4 most liked pilots of valks.

10. Sgt Jack V

Sgt Jack V Not *that* sick of G1

*Roy

• Like Like x 1
  11. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    My God of Flame has officially entered USPS’s “we don’t know where it is”. Each day the delivery date changes to that day, then when it doesn’t arrive, it changes to the next day, and it’s been this way since Monday. A little while ago it updated to say “april 4th”, but as much as I want to believe, I highly doubt it.

• Like Like x 3
  12. betsuni

News Credits:
    Hopefully you can get your money back if it never shows up.

13. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Hahaha.

It’s going to arrive. I will “will” it’s delivery into existance if I have too.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. betsuni

News Credits:
    I remember buying that kit long ago. Wonder if I kept it or sold it on.

16. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    HG 1/100 YF-29 Durandal modified to perfect transformation.

• Like Like x 3
  17. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    Closer look at the HMR VF-19 (Ronald McDee Valk) via MW
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

19. bluevalkyrie

bluevalkyrie timey wimey elevator oscillator

The Basara/Eraserhead crossover was unexpected. :p :D :cool: 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I’m not a fan of how the shoulder pad needs to rotate as it tends to unclip and pop off in the process. There’s a way to prevent it but not much clearance.