The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's definitely some strange ghosting and other artifacts that get introduced in that process, no doubt. It would be great if someone could go back to the original master and redo the whole thing (assuming it even exists). Anyway...

2. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Nice, these animation showcases are always fun to watch. The one from late 80's or early 90's was sick as well, from different artists and studios. The artist from ninja scroll/wicked city etc had the one with the guy racing something like an f zero. He goes faster and faster till he transcents and explodes iirc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    I post that VF-1A gif whenever I can (made it myself!), as it inevitably leads to new people learning about the awesomeness that is the Daicon openings.

(it's also among the best-animated VF-1 transformations we ever got, it's SO slick)

• Like Like x 5
  4. magick

magick Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Those are absolutely gorgeous!

5. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    Jenius’ review on the DX 171ex plus + add on set including the DX 171ex Full Set.

So no possible re-release Maruyuma’s 171ex?

• Like Like x 4
  6. fschuler

News Credits:
    Hmmm. I tend to think he was a little hard on it. I actually thought it looked pretty solid and fun. Granted, maybe the transformation really sucks the fun out of it or something. But it seemed to work pretty well. It has a unique look as well.

7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    It does. The issue was never the sculpt. If you want it for display you’ll likely have no issue with it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fschuler

News Credits:
    I'll have to look up a transformation video, then. About the only one I have that is actually fun to transform is a little HMR 1D, lol. Well, that and the munky.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    DX 171 is night and day compared to those 2.

Given how well Bandai made the transformation on their DX 1/65 VF-17, there’s no reason why their DX VF-171 had to switch things up that much for transformation. A few things to account for anime accuracy(and differences from VF-171 with the VF-17) sure but to change that much in worse ways was surprising.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fschuler

News Credits:
    They were innovating in the wrong direction, lol. I watched a Scorched Earth transformation video on the 171, and he made seem not so bad. I know that's not the same as having it in your own hands, though. Personally, it did look easier than the 31 that I have (I hate the arm transformation on that one...and the little swingbar connector things). It always turns into an accordian when I try to transform it.

11. Viper2

Viper2 Storming the Moon Gate

The song is by Electric Light Orchestra, used without permission (just like almost all characters).

See also: Daicon III & IV

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Read his review he has typed up on his site

It’s not. 31 is much more intuitive. 171 is over-engineered by comparison.

• Like Like x 2
  13. fschuler

News Credits:
    I think this excerpt from his review sums it up, lol:

"I thought I had outgrown the point in my life where I’d want to strap fireworks to a toy and send it off in a fiery explosion but the Alto EX revealed that, with just the right amount of frustration, that urge still lives within me."

• Like Like x 3
  14. kazukun

kazukun HAACHAMACHAMA~

Taking advantage of the weak yen, got the rest of SMS team (Osma and Luka) renewed version on this trip to Tokyo. Since they were already open, the staff and Mandarake opened them and checked for parts; Luka’s didn’t have any bags storing the extra hands so the staff took out the instruction booklet and we counted them so they were all there. Wish I had space to actually display all four of them but with Alto’s getting wobbly in battroid I switch it to the 25G on display.

IMG_1746.jpeg IMG_1748.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  15. LonelySoldierBoy

LonelySoldierBoy Well-Known Member

I don't think the transformation for the 171 is all that complicated. Rather, the issues with my 171s are more build quality/QC and joint tolerance, which in turn has an effect on transformation. Frankly, compared to most 3P Masterpiece and Legends transformers, transforming Macross valks in general feels much easier and more straightforward to me especially something simple like a VF-1. Even the most involved/complex transformation which for me is the 262 is far less annoying than something like Magic Square's Megatron.

Yup, the 31 is one of the easiest and fastest transformations for me. The whole process glides pretty smoothly and nothing ever feels like it's really fighting me.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    It isn’t, just includes extraneous steps that it really shouldn’t have and with the way the legs are designed, it’s tricky to tell when to rotate for transformation. I found it very annoying that the swing bar doesn’t lock securely in place in battroid mode.

That and the build quality was enough for me to outweigh the positives. The positives being:
    • Accurate sculpt
    • Wings able to sweep all the way back in fighter mode despite all missles being mounted underneath; only other transforming VF toy capable of this is the HCM VF-1
    It’s a looker for sure. If anyone is still interested, AmiAmi has the recent Revival version available for just shy of $200 before shipping. Likely the cheapest you’ll get it currently outside of secondhand copies on the aftermarket.
    https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-159118

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

I Got Disappointed HARD by the YAMATO VF-17S i got a decade-odd back. it's BATTROID just WAY too floppy in all the worst possible places...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at least my VF-19S from the same YAMATO product series has actually held-up well;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. LonelySoldierBoy

LonelySoldierBoy Well-Known Member

Mandarake has been selling the revival 171EX "unopened" for 22k yen (about $145 at the current exchange rate). There's a number of them on Mandarake right now for that price. Granted, it's "package damage" but every time I've ordered something from Mandarake in that condition, it's like either the tiniest of a crease on a corner or something like that or I can't even tell what exactly is the damage and it looks essentially MISB to me, and in better condition than new Macross items that I've ordered from Amazon where the boxes were far more dinged and creased.

19. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Yeah I got something from them that described damage to the actual toy but the toy itself was fine and entire thing was pretty much MISB.

20. Yertle

Yertle Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I’ve only been burnt by Mandarake once. It was when I ordered a YF-19 full set almost three years ago, and both the toy and box reeked of cigarettes. The smell was not disclosed in the listing. I ended up airing out the packaging and inserts for over a week, and ended up resorting to putting the toy and accessories into an airtight container with dryer sheets to remove the smell. Fortunately nothing was yellowed.

As a result I keep eyeing the egg yolk release