The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Shinobi Rendar

Shinobi Rendar Artobot

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've been wanting an affordable and hopefully good looking valk toy to play/mess with and it looks like this might be it. Got the Voltron on P/O and I might get the Devastator and Megazord as well. Been a fan Lucky Cat's aesthetic so far and I will be watching this closely.

• Like Like x 1
  2. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see more of this! I really love the other cube figures.

3. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
  4. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Thank you for the beautiful photos. Man, I miss the days when stores looked like this with their massive amount of toys and displays. I mean I know those are all different ones, but I remember growing up and seeing displays like that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow, maybe it can’t surpass the extremes of the Revoltech but looks like it can get pretty damn close. That’s impressive. It definitely has much better articulation than Bandai’s old 1/100 VF-19 kits.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

the long-gone "JUST BE TOYS" import shop in downtown PORTLAND, OR. was rather like that,
    when i had went in there a couple/three times or so, back between 2000/2002.

got my only two early YAMATO 1/72 VFs there, first the initial-run "Bum-Hip" VF-11B, and later the initial DYRL Ichijo VF-1A.

i also got my first and only two YAMATO 1/48 VF-1s from JBT in 2002/2003, but by then,
    i was ordering by CC over the phone from them, living about 200mi. away from PORTLAND at the time.

Internet-based purchases we're indeed a good few years yet in the future for me...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

Feel like someone dumped their entire collection at Manda's Sahra store. There are dozens of new items under both "1/60 Macross" and "DX Macross" searches. They had DX missiles and TV supers this morning, there's several new listings for YF-21 both with and without FPs, Max and Miria's 22s also showed up,(the latter may have sold already). We have other M7 goodies like more Fire Valks and the 19F. It's like a treasure trove of temptation right now.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  8. ArkhamSoldier

ArkhamSoldier Broke as heck

News Credits:
    God, that DX VF-27 is so tempting

• Like Like x 1
  9. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Was never into plamo…but that finna be the best Battroid…so close to the lineart. I can see why they went with the shortcut change. I think Imma preorder it.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I’m going to be on my deathbed in 40 years looking at new Macross toys on my cerebral gel implant and Kawamori will be promoting whatever it is looking exactly the same as he does now, as he did 20 years ago, as he has since before time itself.

I am super stoked for this 19 kit. I plan to take a day off work and build it while the kids are at school.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Reedbot

Reedbot Well-Known Member

Yes, it is beautiful. They need to translate this model into a new DX Chogokin. I would be fine with a shortcut change DX if the Battroid mode would look this good.

12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    For $30+ I’m starting to be more accepting of the transformation especially since this is a model kit and stability in each mode seems to be emphasized.

Bet the subsequent YF-29 will be a breeze to transform compared to the DX. Definitely won’t miss those 180 rotating fuselage hinges and legs going from fighter to battroid mode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am so ready for the YF-19 model. It looks like it's going to be so much fun to pose.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    He's got the Keanu gene. All he's missing is the beard.

Same. I've waited a LONG time for this one.

Meanwhile, another hobby blog has the first part of his review online:

マクロスプラス HG YF-19 サンプル素組紹介

I'm calling it now: this is going to be my kit. of. the. year.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    This shortcut change transformation now gives Bandai ample opportunity to make YF-21s and VF-11s with anime accurate thick legs. If and when they ever get to a 1/100 VF-11 kit I feel it’ll be a sleeper hit.

I’m okay with shortcut change being used on smaller toys and models but prefer perfect transformation for DX releases. Bandai could definitely work in simpler engineering though on the DX releases. On the other hand…if shortcut change could be implemented on DX releases BUT with all parts being stored on the toy in all modes(for example, YF-19 torso removed and transformed for fighter mode, then reattached with no parts needing to be left off, I might be okay with that. Key thing is not needing to leave parts off).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    We've seen the gate marks on the runners for this kit already that prove more VF-19's are bound to happen. I'm looking forward to an updated Fire Valkyrie to compare with the older model (mine's been in storage for so long because of the sloppy paint job on it I'm afraid to look at).

It's the proportions that bugs me about valkyries from the HAND DRAWN era of anime with "Perfect Transformation" features. Sure it's amazing to see them pull it off, but at the cost of the aesthetic is painful on the eyes. the first Yamato model being the perfect example of doing everything wrong excluding the fighter mode.

17. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    That kit has terribly fragile elbows(polycaps were okay, it’s the outer elbow pieces that are thin and very prone to cracking). This new kit doesn’t seem to have that style of joint thankfully.

They got a lot better over time and starting with their 1st 1/60 VF-1 in the early 2000s, they went with designers who were more familiar with aircraft than their initial 1/72 Macross Plus series. Even their 1/72 YF-19 to me looked off in all modes. It was great for the 1st transforming YF-19 toy ever made but hasn’t aged well. The Yamato Macross 7 VF-19s and the Arcadia YF-19 are much better all around.

Good thing we have more options available now including the HG YF-19 kit which is currently the most affordable. The shortcut transformation I think is an acceptable compromise that might win over more model builders than toy collectors. Definitely shines in battroid mode.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

My kingdom for a Battle 7 or Battle Frontier or Macross Elysium.

I would love for Arcadia or Bandai to give us the New Macross class ships.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    New Macross Quarter with surfing rock wave riding stand

• Like Like x 5
  20. Hadlen_Weltall

News Credits:
    I'll agree the later VF-1 and VF-0 are phenominal. I would like to see Bandai do this Shortcut change redesign on the VF-1 so we can get the best of both visual pleasing design and model kit engineering.

SDF-1 Version TV and Version DYRL or GTFO.

*taps the hidden mic/camera in gunpla backlog*
    "Bandai! I know you're listening. I'm keeping the lights on at the P.Bandai store and you know it! Make these things happen!"