The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

Yamato did a prototype mock-up of one for a convention once, I think. It was huge.

not sure if you’ve noticed, but just about everything Macross has been easy to order the last few years.

you might not get in a preorder, sure, but stuff has been and continues to be available after release for at least a little while.

you can order Arcadia YF-19s and still get Max and Milia’s VF-1 from HLJ for instance:

Search | HLJ.com

and even the Bandai stuff isn’t hard to come by after release - even more so recently with the worldwide releases.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hate-triot

Hate-triot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got the chance to finally crack open this VF-25 and I am excited for more.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  4. Zipper

Zipper Well-Known Member

Honestly I thought the Battletech and Robotech fans would be all over it. Seems that they just ended up being a vocal minority.

5. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got my HMR VF-0S! Ermergerd, it's so sexy. Though I can't seem to get the heat shield to completely cover the canopy. Still, worth every dollar. Now give us a DX, Bandai! With a DX VF-2SS...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mike Witwicky

Mike Witwicky Loyal Lieutenant

Broke down and finally decided to try and get some DX VF-1s, I wish I was still collecting when these first went up for PO, damn, they're pricey.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Strike Creamsicle

Considering the Arcadia figures are only officially sold in Japan, I’d be surprised if much of those fanbases even knew about the Tomahawk release. Robotech fans are probably waiting for news on KC’s destroids and other Macross releases.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tasuke

Tasuke ♥Konomi Yuzuhara♥

and yet oh so Worth it;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Don't mind him.

He doesn't seem to like ordering even the pretty valks (Arcadia YF-19, Bandai DX, etc) that are/were easy to order, either...

:shrugs:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Strike Creamsicle

Finally got around to opening my Tomahawk. Really liking the figure, though important to note it’s basically what I expected - a nice, solid chunk of mecha that doesn’t really go for dynamic poses or have high levels of articulation. It's... less like an action figure and more like a poseable statue, in that regard, but considering it’s basically a mobile artillery platform, it works fine for me.

No problematic QC issues I’ve found yet, just a few oddities:

noticed that the gun barrels on the arms on mine disconnect easily. There’s a notch for alignment and they friction fit pretty well - this the same for everyone else or is mine missing a little glue? Same with the two armor box pieces on the sides of the thighs, though those require more effort to remove.

the waist joint is interesting. It rotates 360, but if you have it turned fully left or right 90 degrees the top half comes off due to the design of the joint. I assume this is a feature, as the Defender uses the same bottom half, so a Defender release would only require a new top half. Makes the tooling easier. Still weird there isn’t some kind of lock in place, but unlikely I’d have it at a 90 degree angle anyways. That said - use caution. It comes off easily if positioned correctly, but if you pull too hard I expect it would be easy to break the ridge it uses to keep the figure together normally.

lastly there’s some protective plastic slips on the gun clusters in the chest and I can’t figure out how to get them out, any help there?

Overall, I like it quite a bit. I imported this and paid about $140 shipped for it ($97 plus $41ish shipping) and at that price it is, IMO, “fine” for a Macross figure at this size. Would have preferred cheaper shipping, but don’t we all? I don’t think I’d have been quite as pleased with it paying the $175ish some US retailers are charging.

Interested in seeing how KC’s destroids compare, whenever those come along. They'll be smaller, obviously, but if prices are lower and the build is as solid (I'm assuming that since destroids don't transform KC will be able to put together solid versions of them) they may be appealing options for displays.

image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  11. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Thanks for the mini review! There is a video review posted a page back that shows how to remove that plastic film. Basically, you disconnect part of the top section. See below (I think it is at around 1:30):

• Like Like x 2
  12. tturbozx66

tturbozx66 Well-Known Member

the cockpit capsule slides out.

35CCB2F8-D312-4B91-89C4-67F48D87B15F.jpeg

I think the tomahawk looks better in green. The tan works better for the defender. I am going to wait for the PF version since I ready have these in regular and weathered versions from Yamato.

AC78C843-EB8E-4D97-8FF9-E5F368A5BD7F.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  13. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    Your decision to wait for a eventual MWW YF-19 release or get this instead:

DX YF-19 Full Set for almost 39.9k yen (Item B, Box B)

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-038985-R

Note: If you guys want to complain about the exuberant pricing, then take it up to the seller via email.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I may or may not have most of a lance of Warhammers, a solo Rifleman, and a solo Marauder...

• Like Like x 3
  15. chuckdawg1999

chuckdawg1999 Well-Known Member

I hate to say this but I think we're at least one if not two generations removed from Macross designs being in Battletech.

• Like Like x 2
  16. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally had time to play around with the HMR VF-0S. Holy balls, what a great figure. It looks and feels great. And it was very nice of Bandai to include a handy dandy tool for opening some of those flaps/hatches. Love the gassy effect on the canopy, too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

Not as much as you seem to think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Strike Creamsicle

I remember they modified the designs slightly to try and bring them back after they were all removed from the game - that was after all the unseen mechs got “IIC” upgrades.

those look awfully close to the originals, though. Did they work out some kind of deal to be able to use them again?

• Like Like x 1
  19. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    Yep. Battletech and MechWarrior Online/5 are allowed to have the Macross stuff back into their games. Think they settled about two or three years ago now.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Legate

Legate RIP Kevin Conroy and Akira Toriyama

And a glorious day it was! Such a DELIGHTFUL middle finger to HG...

If you're into tabletop, the new generation of minis use the above designs and look FANTASTIC. Well worth the buy if you're so inclined.

• Like Like x 3